• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ih#1 as investment
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Following up on comments below.  Didnt realize this book was being offered on MCS site.  I thought it was a private sale.  I've had some offers accepted at MCS, but honestly for $200 books...  Not something this valuable.  And I do notice the same books on MCS and Ebay as well and likely other places.  MCS is typically 'cheaper' since they already priced in the Ebay fees elsewhere.  Either way, best of luck.  I have Hulk 1 on my wish list this year as well.  Trying to swipe a decent 2.0 for under $10K by end of year.  Stay well....

On 8/9/2024 at 4:41 AM, KCOComics said:

I guess the contrarian in me would argue, this is the perfect time to buy. 

Prices have been falling for more than a year and have nearly cut in half from their pandemic highs.

Could they keep falling??? Sure. But when everyone is going one way, it's often a good time to go the other way! 

Also, like with stocks, it's really hard to time it perfectly - so the best time is when you have the right opportunity. You have $$ and find the right book at the right price. - that copy at MCS doesn't look like the right opportunity, but keep your eyes open. It's a common enough book that it will be at auction frequently and people sell privately through Instagram and here. And the big dealers often have copies.

I would also be prepared to hold it for a few years.  I wouldn't make a big purchase expecting a quick flip. 

That's the "key" (pun intended) statement.  

How long are you planning to hold as an investment?   1 month?  1 year?  5 years?  10 years?  

My experience has been the longer you plan to/can hold onto it, the better your "investment" is. 

I have bought books in the past for near top GPA (at the time) and, if I sold them today even with the post-C downturn, I'd still be well ahead of what I paid.  I'm talking about books bought 10 years ago.    

Yeah MCS big boy books are typically consignments, right? So the seller has already set their price, and it seems like the MCS model for this (to make it worth their while for their %) is not to do a lot of hands on management of the listing (ie going back and forth with the consigner on offers). I wonder if MCS has consigners set a floor for an offer that they'll accept at the time of consignment, or if they just stay out of that business in general since the margins are so tiny anyway. 

On 8/9/2024 at 10:17 AM, miraclemet said:

Yeah MCS big boy books are typically consignments, right? So the seller has already set their price, and it seems like the MCS model for this (to make it worth their while for their %) is not to do a lot of hands on management of the listing (ie going back and forth with the consigner on offers). I wonder if MCS has consigners set a floor for an offer that they'll accept at the time of consignment, or if they just stay out of that business in general since the margins are so tiny anyway. 

On there site if it's a consignment sale you will pay an extra 3% and if it's not no 3% fee!

On 8/9/2024 at 4:41 AM, KCOComics said:

I guess the contrarian in me would argue, this is the perfect time to buy. 

Prices have been falling for more than a year and have nearly cut in half from their pandemic highs.

Could they keep falling??? Sure. But when everyone is going one way, it's often a good time to go the other way! 

Also, like with stocks, it's really hard to time it perfectly - so the best time is when you have the right opportunity. You have $$ and find the right book at the right price. - that copy at MCS doesn't look like the right opportunity, but keep your eyes open. It's a common enough book that it will be at auction frequently and people sell privately through Instagram and here. And the big dealers often have copies.

I would also be prepared to hold it for a few years.  I wouldn't make a big purchase expecting a quick flip. 

You make a good point, why buy into the market when it's hot. It doesn't make much sense unless your selling it!

Hulk 1 is a great book, but I would also look at ToS 39. It's dropped a good bit but I think the movies (and RD Jr.) have put Iron Man in a pretty key spot in the Marvel Universe for the future.

On 8/9/2024 at 2:11 PM, drbanner said:

Hulk 1 is a great book, but I would also look at ToS 39. It's dropped a good bit but I think the movies (and RD Jr.) have put Iron Man in a pretty key spot in the Marvel Universe for the future.

What grade do you suggest for that book?

On 8/9/2024 at 3:48 PM, Invest said:

What grade do you suggest for that book?

5.0 - 6.0 with OW or better pages, good eye appeal.

On 8/10/2024 at 10:45 AM, pmpknface said:

I believe this can change for high $ books on consignment.  They post here, but you can contact them for more info. @mycomicshop

The 3% buyer's premium only applies if you pay by credit card or paypal; no buyer's premium if you pay by check, Zelle, wire, or trade. 

Purchases over $5000 we don't accept credit card anyway, so the buyer's premium is effectively always 0% for expensive books over $5000. 

On 8/9/2024 at 7:17 AM, miraclemet said:

That's not how it works. When I list a book for sale on MCS, I set my price and decide if I'm willing to entertain lesser offers. I can set it so they reject any offer below the price I set. If I list Wolverine 1 for $1,000 and say I'll entertain offers worth 80% of my price, it is entered into their software, and a $750 offer would be rejected. Customer service has no involvement.  I can change the price or the percentage I'll take any time I log on.

On 8/10/2024 at 1:44 PM, mycomicshop said:

The 3% buyer's premium only applies if you pay by credit card or paypal; no buyer's premium if you pay by check, Zelle, wire, or trade. 

Purchases over $5000 we don't accept credit card anyway, so the buyer's premium is effectively always 0% for expensive books over $5000. 

It goes to show how much I don't know about mcs

On 8/8/2024 at 9:19 AM, miraclemet said:

The interesting thing about IH1 is that its census numbers are the lowest of the 1st era Marvel keys. Only 1500 blue grades vs 2500 of AF15. Which makes it even more appealing. 

These 2 are #1 and #2 in my eyes moving forward in our lifetime.

On 8/10/2024 at 7:56 PM, Invest said:
On 8/10/2024 at 11:10 AM, mdube16 said:

If you are in the market....

IMG_0006.jpg

Expand  

A 5.0 is the most I could afford for this book

It's a very nice looking 5.5.  Why not pony up the extra money or forego spending on some other books and save up a bit extra to buy this copy?

Mycomicshop is selling af15 cgc 2.5 for $23,000 from it's website, I looked up the serial number on cgc and the grader notes said the comic has a detached cover and centerfold.