• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting site: Ebay fraud for dummies

15 posts in this topic

"eBay fraud probably constitutes more than 30% of all online fraud."

So are they tring to tell us that almost 1 in 3 eBay transactions turn to Poo-Poo ?

Seems a little high to me.

No, they are saying that more than 30% of online/internet fraud is conducted on ebay, not more than 30% of ebay transactions are fraudulent as you read it.

No, they are saying that more than 30% of online/internet fraud is conducted on ebay, not more than 30% of ebay transactions are fraudulent as you read it.

If this takes into account the whole internet then when you look at ebay alone the percentage is even higher for ebay.

If this takes into account the whole internet then when you look at ebay alone the percentage is even higher for ebay.

I don't quite follow. Are you saying that more than 1/3rd of all ebay transactions are fraudulent? I think that figure is a little too high. I would like all board members reading this to think of all their ebay dealings both buying & selling; have more than 1/3rd of all your transactions been fraudulent?

I don't think so.

You're thinking about the wrong percentage; it's a percentage of total fraud claims, not total E-Bay auctions.

None of us know right now how many Internet fraud claims there are every year; let's say it's 100,000. That would mean around 33,000 came from E-Bay transactions. None of us probably know how many transactions E-Bay does a year, either, but let's say it's 10 million; I would imagine the total is more than that. 33,000 fraud complaints in 10 million transactions is a 0.33% fraud rate.

No Ares, you're misreading-- BOC's gotten it right.

Let me restate it: The web site is claiming that

1. If there is a fraudulent transaction on-line,

then

2. chances are 3 in 10 that fraudulent transaction occured on eBay.

That's all.

They've made no claims about how often event 1. occurs (could be 1 in a million for all we know...).

Heh, anyone who buys from that site is a fish who fell for the bait if the buyer is willing to shell out 25 bucks for an "ebay fraud detection program." I might as well try to make a fortune on ebay by selling pet rocks. I also love those people on ebay trying to sell you those discs that ebay does not want you to know about, the disc that supposedly make it easy for you to obtain tons of merchandise at whole sale prices.

Of course, I fell for that ebay comic lotto auction a while back. So I will admit that on at least one occasion I swallowed the bait (I am not ashamed to admit it, as it made for a good learning experience, and a relatively inexpensive one at that).

This had to do with a seller who had a dutch auction a couple (few?) months back where you would bid a few bucks for a lot of 5/6 assorted comics, and if you bid on 5 lots then supposedly a "nice silver age" comic was included. Suffice to say, the silver age book was a junk non-key, and may have been more bronze than silver age, as I forget the date on the comic (and by junk I mean that literally, it looked like dogs had mauled the comic), and the rest were trash commons most modern dealers would be ashamed to sell you for more than a nickel each (i.e, no one but scammers on ebay would keep this junk, as they entice people with the idea that the bidder has a chance of winning some valuable comic, but in reality, they will get a pile of books that anyone but a schmuck would have tossed in the trash long-ago).

My post was NOT criticism of comicwiz's comic lottos (the one's Joe C complained about as being spam, and I will not touch that with a ten foot pole, as Joe C and Comicwiz can have at it as far as I am concerned).