• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stain Removal from cover of Golden Age book?

7 posts in this topic

I am considering sending a Golden Age 80 year old book to have a portion of the stain removed from the cover. Not the entire stain though. 
If this is done, would mild stain removal from a book this age result in a:
Universal Grade?
Conserved Grade?
Restored Grade?

Thanks. 

Not enough information.

What type of stain is it (water damage tide lines, surface level food stuff etc), what stain removal process are you going to get done on it (full immersion bath with additives, full immersion bath with only distilled water, full or localized removal via the HOP method)? 

On 8/14/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Not enough information.

What type of stain is it (water damage tide lines, surface level food stuff etc), what stain removal process are you going to get done on it (full immersion bath with additives, full immersion bath with only distilled water, full or localized removal via the HOP method)? 

Yes, water stains on the front cover only.  

I am unsure of the stain removal process, but hope to find one that does not result in a Restored grade. 

Thanks

On 8/14/2024 at 12:25 PM, Shazam500 said:

Yes, water stains on the front cover only.  

I am unsure of the stain removal process, but hope to find one that does not result in a Restored grade. 

Thanks

CGC would consider this restoration if they detect it.  There are a lot of youtube videos on stain removal and that's probably your best resource.

On 8/14/2024 at 2:34 PM, thehumantorch said:

CGC would consider this restoration if they detect it.  There are a lot of youtube videos on stain removal and that's probably your best resource.

Them 'detecting' it is the wildcard, as who knows WHAT exactly they are looking for, as I've had them 'detect' work that was never done and miss other work I actually did when it came to stain removal. 

An aqueous bath in just distiller water can be used to lift all the tide lines and stain and get Universal.  So long as the gloss is not impacted, which most often happens when you add even the slightest amount of emulsifying agent or work the paper itself roughly, it should be fine. Can also target the stain locally (to reduce tidelines/stains) while not touching the rest of the cover (Spot HOP works well, though I will always stay away from using any sort of bleaching agent). This can fall into Conservation territory or also just Universal labels (so long as no additives are there!)

I would send pictures, however I generally would advice against it. 

It's very rare that Restoration actually improves the value of the book.  Even if it's conservation, it would be pretty unique circumstances to increase the value.