• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint comic grades
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have submitted a bunch of books to CGC and have never received a 9.9 or 10 on modern books. I use ccs at CGC.

what is the secret? I use a huge lighted magnifying lens. 9.8 was even extremely hard 6 months ago, what do I need to do to help get some of these mint grades. I am open to any ideas please help!!

On 8/22/2024 at 9:26 AM, Bmj1282 said:

I have submitted a bunch of books to CGC and have never received a 9.9 or 10 on modern books. I use ccs at CGC.

what is the secret? I use a huge lighted magnifying lens. 9.8 was even extremely hard 6 months ago, what do I need to do to help get some of these mint grades. I am open to any ideas please help!!

1) Reach out to the original cover artist for the comic

2) Commission the original cover artist to draw any type of squiggle on an acetate.

3) This is key; have the original cover artist personally staple the acetate onto the Comic!

4) Simply pay CGC a fee to receive a Blue Label CGC10 grade.

Folks, Before you decide my comment is facetious, glib, snarky or sarcastic, please note that it represents fact from confirmed events of July/Aug 2022. I do not know if it continues to this day.

Warning it's 5000+ post thread and reading just the first few pages is not sufficient.

Edited by MAR1979

Why the obsession with mint grades? Setting yourself up for disappointment. What is the benefit? Mint graded comics will just become burdensome to own as you will fret over everything that may threaten their condition: Daylight, storage conditions, moisture, getting shaken in transit, foreign items in the slab, warped inner wells, being slightly off centre in the slab etc. Challenge the OCD tendency to chase mint and discover the pleasure of handling comics. Surely the humble 9.8 slab is good enough! 

Welcome to the forum (thumbsu

pretty simple actually, just go get a job at the comic printer.  Then just scour the thousands of books for perfect ones before they are shipped off to customers.  Grab those and you're golden.

There's also the choice of getting a job that makes more money and/or spending less money on food/shelter, then you can just by the CGC 9.9's or CGC 10.0's that you are coveting.

On 8/22/2024 at 9:27 AM, revat said:

pretty simple actually, just go get a job at the comic printer.  Then just scour the thousands of books for perfect ones before they are shipped off to customers.  Grab those Gently acquire those and you're golden.

There's also the choice of getting a job that makes more money and/or spending less money on food/shelter, then you can just by the CGC 9.9's or CGC 10.0's that you are coveting.

Fixed that for ya!  :devil:

Edited by PovertyRow

Without getting too philosophical, chasing perfection is frustrating and may not lead to the happiness that you may think it should. 

To a degree I can understand that, in an uncertain world, aspiring to perfection in some form is a laudable aim. The reality is that very few comic books leaving the printers are gem mint candidates due to the whole gamut of bindery, stacking and distribution issues that give rise to all the interesting threads on this forum! 

Let the decades pass and all those 1960s 70s and 80s books are even less likely now to be in gem mint condition. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze