• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this an accurate grade? Should I resubmit?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I just got back an ASM 50 that was graded out as a 4.5. In my opinion it should have been a 5.5-6.0, if not higher. There is a specific grader note that I am having a time with and seeing in the book. It says "large crease full center of back cover". I originally submitted the book with a pressing. Can anyone else see a crease on the back cover going through the full center that should be knocking the grade down by at least a point? I am truly thinking that I need to resubmit this for another grading. Should I resubmit with a second pressing? Your help is truly appreciated. The FMV difference of a 4.5 to a 5.5 seems to be about $200-$250. I have attached the pictures provided by CGC as well as a couple of my own. The full grader notes are below. The certification # is 4465456001 is anyone wants to look it up that way. Thanks again.

Grader Notes

• tear with crease right bottom of front cover
  • large crease full center of back cover
  • moderate cover tanning
  • moderate creasing to cover
  • moderate wear all corners of cover

CGC-ASM 50 Front.jpg

CGC-ASM 50 Back.jpg

20240825_142106.jpg

20240825_142124.jpg

20240825_142142.jpg

Having received a few and complaining about it, CGC told me that a ‘crease’ can be broken fibers of the paper, and may not be visible to the eye. Maybe there’s something there if you look with a magnifier? Fwiw, they also told me broken fibers would not be fixed with additional pressings, but YMMV.

On 8/25/2024 at 5:45 PM, dbcn said:

Having received a few and complaining about it, CGC told me that a ‘crease’ can be broken fibers of the paper, and may not be visible to the eye. Maybe there’s something there if you look with a magnifier? Fwiw, they also told me broken fibers would not be fixed with additional pressings, but YMMV.

It is "funny" to me that something which is not visible to the eye can lower the grade. I guess we just have to take their word for it.🤷‍♂️

Zzutac for the win. That's a long crease on the back cover, easily seen on the 5th picture posted by the OP. And even without that long crease on the back cover, the long corner  crease top right front cover and multiple creases and maybe a small tear bottom corner front cover probably gets a 4.5.  

On 8/25/2024 at 6:57 PM, zzutak said:

CGC 4.5 sounds right to me.  This book has way too much edge wear and oxidation tanning to merit a grade in the FN range.  And yes, there is a long color-breaking crease on the back cover (that almost certainly extends beyond the green box shown below).  :foryou:

x2.thumb.jpg.8c31e670fceeca9dbb6bcfd28458c924.jpg

Thank you, I did notice a small piece of that after looking for about three minutes, but wasn't sure if that was what they were talking in the grader notes since it didn't mention color breaking. Because of that I just thought it was part of the picture. I just got into grading a few months ago and some of the criteria is definitely still new.

On 8/26/2024 at 1:34 AM, Adulwulf said:

Thank you, I did notice a small piece of that after looking for about three minutes, but wasn't sure if that was what they were talking in the grader notes since it didn't mention color breaking. Because of that I just thought it was part of the picture. I just got into grading a few months ago and some of the criteria is definitely still new.

Still, a moderately attractive mid-grade copy... :50849494_winkemoji: