• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think Comic book shows are broken
2 2

143 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2024 at 9:49 AM, kimik said:

I have had common McFarlane ASM issues in 9.4 at $40 CAD in my slab boxes the past two years with no takers. Same with a bunch of other copper 9.4-9.6 books that came in collections. People would pick them up, comment that it is cheaper than other sellers had their raw copies at, and then put them back. I have started to send all of my copper and modern slabs in for auction since they are not selling well locally.

Ya I didn't actually misspeak, as it might help someone (shrug) thing is it might change a near year later when I'd attend another one, and I was kind of realizing that while typing. Not very poetic of me, but when the budget (in my case) is $5-600, the price tags hurt when wanting to come away with more than 1 or 2 things :cheers:

It is why I added people have deeper pockets than I and a "big ticket item" shouldn't be a "have too", to save a con for a dealer in booths fees, or I wouldn't think, does it happen? Sure (thumbsu

But realistically slabs are expensive period, really, and all this is kind of obvious, but it isn't anything but therapeutic to type it lol 

TLDR a variety is needed and, imo, slabs shouldn't only be expensive ones. :cheers: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Cons I've attended certainly have an assortment of slabs and stuff, so I'm not alluding to a shortage per se. Being home of the competition, it is nice those mostly are relegated to super modern.

In the end I'm not complaining.

I just thought that I was "average JOE" enough that it would critique, but also, I'm only 1 among a variety of steady con goers of multifaceted attendees. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Your smaller dealers have these smaller value slabs and there is usually an assortment of bigger dealers to small, so again isn't anything but therapeutic.

It really kind of evens out and not complaining. It is a small trickle down from bearing the market with most high priced stuff too. I don't mind if it's high priced IF that is truly fmv. Just want to bottom feed the lower priced stuff really.

Win some lose some. Don't often sell, but at this point it wouldn't make or break my collection to do without "some big ticket keys" to then start a run of lesser value. Like was said copper modern and or etc. time is getting away that modern is nearly 30 years young and it feels like that will be old in my perspective. 

Again TLDR it's nice that higher value goes up, if the long cheaper stuff does too somehow and for whatever reason. Still plenty to choose from, but as far as a comic con goes and funds? I'm in the limited buyers pool :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/1/2024 at 2:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Your smaller dealers have these smaller value slabs and there is usually an assortment of bigger dealers to small, so again isn't anything but therapeutic.

It really kind of evens out and not complaining. It is a small trickle down from bearing the market with most high priced stuff too. I don't mind if it's high priced IF that is truly fmv. Just want to bottom feed the lower priced stuff really.

Win some lose some. Don't often sell, but at this point it wouldn't make or break my collection to do without "some big ticket keys" to then start a run of lesser value. Like was said copper modern and or etc. time is getting away that modern is nearly 30 years young and it feels like that will be old in my perspective. 

Again TLDR it's nice that higher value goes up, if the long cheaper stuff does too somehow and for whatever reason. Still plenty to choose from, but as far as a comic con goes and funds? I'm in the limited buyers pool :roflmao:

We smaller sellers have big books, but you need to know your market well enough to judge which shows they may sell at, and more importantly, have enough security so bringng them is not too risky. The past year and a bit I have seen the one day shows shift to from big books to sub-$1k books as collectors that paid FMV in 2021-2022 are more wary now. A similar thing happened with the mid-90s bust. I just hope we do not have to go through a downturn like 1997-2003.

On 9/1/2024 at 1:40 PM, joeypost said:

The same is true for buyers. While deals can be found anytime during a show, I always feel better if I can make some substantial purchases early on and then do some box diving (which I am usually too lazy to do). 

Which is why we have @greggy for the Calgary Expos.

On 8/29/2024 at 3:16 PM, sckao said:

Is there really a convention season or do comic shows actually happen consistently throughout the year now?

There is a "convention season", where a bulk of the mid-sized and large-sized convention center level comic conventions take place. When I say mid-sized and large-sized, I'd consider mid-sized to be 10,000-30,000 attendees and large-sized to be 30,000+ attendees. I'd say those comic conventions are usually from March through October. Essentially, it tends to exclude the winter months.

However, there are comic shows throughout the year, but in the "off-season" a higher percentage of those events would be small (100-2,500 attendees), old-school local shows that likely take place in a hotel ballroom, recreation center, or fairgrounds.

Edited by KingOfRulers

On 8/26/2024 at 1:11 AM, Westy Steve said:

I just returned from Tampa Con. I feel like most of the dealers there.(but not all) have broken away from reality with their pricing.

I've never understood the point of these rants. There's always overpriced stuff and underpriced stuff everywhere. The market weeds them out without bias. 

Cheap stuff sells and expensive stuff won't.

Just go spend your money somewhere else. 

On 9/1/2024 at 11:48 AM, Stefan_W said:

When I have a table at a show I am completely agnostic about who I am selling to. Over time I have realized that dealers are my best customers and make the largest purchases through the course of the year, but non-dealers also contribute quite a bit to my comic fund. 

Many people buy and sell for their love of the art form, but not everyone is a good business person. It's like many of my musician friends. They're great musicians but are broke because they're not great business people. 

Good business people know how to make money to stay in business. 

Sometimes people complain about dealers buying from other dealers, but if those dealers didn't spend money buying from sellers, those same sellers couldn't afford to be at the shows you want to buy at. The customers at the door often just wouldn't spend enough money to make it worthwhile.

So you accept that reality as it's part of a greater economy and work with it. 

I thought I was replying to the same person twice. 

Both are a version of 'Steve' and both have a W in their name - what are the odds? lol

On 9/1/2024 at 3:33 PM, kimik said:

We smaller sellers have big books, but you need to know your market well enough to judge which shows they may sell at, and more importantly, have enough security so bringng them is not too risky. The past year and a bit I have seen the one day shows shift to from big books to sub-$1k books as collectors that paid FMV in 2021-2022 are more wary now. A similar thing happened with the mid-90s bust. I just hope we do not have to go through a downturn like 1997-2003.

What impresses me is some of the smaller dealers bring replacement stuff the next day if enough sells, or has been my experience. Since a smaller table they don't all fit first day kind of thing, which I like because it is worth revisiting. I still can't believe (long story) I paid $250 flat for a Superman #123 cgc 3.0. I don't have gpa, but at the time last sale on eBay was $150 then tax and shipping. Small dealer had the #123 at $350 but he was talking down to $200 and I was like mkay here is the $250, because he couldn't believe he hadn't marked it well. How much is ploy or ignorance on both our parts I'll know in the beyond lol but for now just not many sales viewable period on my end. :sorry:

On 9/1/2024 at 5:12 PM, VintageComics said:

I thought I was replying to the same person twice. 

Both are a version of 'Steve' and both have a W in their name - what are the odds? lol

The cool kids are using that type of name structure. It is all the rage in comic circles nowadays. 

On 9/1/2024 at 4:15 PM, Stefan_W said:

The cool kids are using that type of name structure. It is all the rage in comic circles nowadays. 

One word

Polychronopollis.

2 words Adam Sandler :roflmao:

Google if you don't know, but the nicest people I've met were named Steve and so far that is pretty much the truth, 🤔 💬 

On 9/1/2024 at 5:15 PM, Stefan_W said:

This is a true story, but my favorite guy name is actually Steve. lol

My cousin Steve and I have been best friends since I was 4 months old and I've always loved that name. 

I think I'm broken: I'm too lazy to make a checklist of the comics I own so I keep buying the same ones over and over. I have many Marvel Premier 47s :/

For that reason I usually I walk about comic cons in a state of confusion. Go to the food court, look around at unhealthy people eating unhealthy stuff and get grossed out; leave then go to the bathroom and get even grosser-outed.

Edited by NoMan

On 9/1/2024 at 4:39 PM, NoMan said:

I think I'm broken: I'm too lazy to make a checklist of the comics I own so I keep buying the same ones over and over. I have many Marvel Premier 47s :/

I wouldn't worry lol used to be people didn't mind buying more than one copy of books, even after 1st release, but unless we're talking lining the ceiling with them lol you should be ok 😀 

On 9/1/2024 at 5:39 PM, NoMan said:

Go to the food court, look around at unhealthy people eating unhealthy stuff and get grossed out; leave then go to the bathroom and get even grosser-outed.

My favorite parts of going to comic shows. And the mall. And pool parties. And work. And the CGC boards. And my house. And...

On 9/1/2024 at 5:15 PM, Ryan. said:

My favorite parts of going to comic shows. And the mall. And pool parties. And work. And the CGC boards. And my house. And...

My least favorite is tattoo alley. :cheers:

On 9/2/2024 at 12:30 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Screenshot_20240901-183107.png

For those who aren't into shouty early 90's industrial metal, this is based on the cover to the Broken EP by Nine Inch Nails.  

On 9/1/2024 at 7:46 PM, Ken Aldred said:

For those who aren't into shouty early 90's industrial metal, this is based on the cover to the Broken EP by Nine Inch Nails.  

Indeed lol but I thought it would be funny to see if it got a laugh without the fine print, either a tough crowd or not the time for a laugh I guess lol

@Ken Aldred it's important to note the title of the album is BROKEN if anything, kind of goes back to if you have to explain it etc.  :sorry:

Screenshot_20240901-182804.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM