• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight Returns prices

65 posts in this topic

The book i most like is DKR - we all know how attractive this art is and i have followed some of the sales - i know its expensive.

My problem is that i want to bite the bullet, sell some of my pages/stock and buy a DKR page. Obviously the price depends on the page but do we have any guide to how much is a good price?

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but the idea of shelling out $6-9K for a page that doesn't even have Batman on it, or $3-5K just to own a page for the sake of owning a page, doesn't seem all that compelling. So, you're really looking at $10-$15K according to Hari and others to put a nice, though unspectacular, example from the series in your collection (I dunno about you, but if I'm going to spend 5 figures for a piece, it had better be spectacular or pretty close to it). As much as I like DKR, spending that much just to have one representative page from the series doesn't exactly make me want to jump off the couch to grab my checkbook (and that would be even more true if I had to sell off a bunch of pieces to afford it). I'd much rather content myself with owning a nice CGC'd set of the comics and let the BSDs duke it out for the pages that come up for sale (I'd be wary about paying up for any pages that they passed over, anyway, if resale considerations are of concern to you).

1039394-debbiedowner.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen...I present to you, from the year 2006, Gene 1.0.

(To see present-day Gene 2.0, just go to his CAF gallery lol )

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer

I wouldn't expect anything less from you.....

Well, our buddy deliquorstore seems to feel big money spent for anything other than big splashy gaudy oil paintings of Vampi is crazy! Oh and Gene actually does look a lot like that picture...well, after a few drinks he does...

But I'm with Hari on the blue chip quality of these pages. Dark Knight was THE book for those of us back in the 80's. The value of DK pages have continued to go up to a point that I've pretty much given up trying to get another page from the series. How many times does DK pages show up as a 'Want' on collectors' wish lists? While I can't speak to how much more they will rise, I do feel confident that DK pages will retain their present values.

This thread reminds me of the time about a year and a half ago when a guy emailed me and offered $400 for my Dark Knight page. I guess Krazy Kat was right! Publicly displaying my DK page DID indeed destroy its value! If I only knew then what I know now!

Lamb

"Deliquorstore"...classic! lol

Felix....let's see the page!

No, that would only serve to devalue my art.

Whoops, did I just give myself away?

Just kidding. Once I get eveything on hand, I will open a CAF gallery. Of 3 pieces.

Two of which I got off these boards, including the DKR page we were talking about. Still have two of those original three pieces. Wow, time flies!

Ah the good old days of the board; quality posters, interesting discussion, minimal whining...

It's a sad state of affairs when an old thread gets bumped in order to provide an island of sanity in a sea of insanity.

Yes, it's true, the lunatics have taken over the asylum . . .

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer

I wouldn't expect anything less from you.....

Well, our buddy deliquorstore seems to feel big money spent for anything other than big splashy gaudy oil paintings of Vampi is crazy! Oh and Gene actually does look a lot like that picture...well, after a few drinks he does...

But I'm with Hari on the blue chip quality of these pages. Dark Knight was THE book for those of us back in the 80's. The value of DK pages have continued to go up to a point that I've pretty much given up trying to get another page from the series. How many times does DK pages show up as a 'Want' on collectors' wish lists? While I can't speak to how much more they will rise, I do feel confident that DK pages will retain their present values.

This thread reminds me of the time about a year and a half ago when a guy emailed me and offered $400 for my Dark Knight page. I guess Krazy Kat was right! Publicly displaying my DK page DID indeed destroy its value! If I only knew then what I know now!

Lamb

"Deliquorstore"...classic! lol

that was memorable yes lol