• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with the trend in slabbing dross?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I just think people will grade anything regardless of value, based in countless worthless comics I've seen.  I see endless new collectors with common 90s drek asking if it should be stabbed, as they're convinced somehow that it's the only way to preserve something.

Edited by waaaghboss

On 9/3/2024 at 10:30 AM, waaaghboss said:

I just think people will grade anything regardless of value, based in countless worthless comics I've seen.  I see endless new collectors with common 90s drek asking if it should be stabbed, as they're convinced somehow that it's the only way to preserve something.

Alas, I fear it may come down to something as prosaic and sad as that ... W.C. Fields was right.  :frustrated:

brain fart ... meant P.T. Barnum

Edited by kent allard

On 9/3/2024 at 9:26 PM, jimjum12 said:

Like any Corporate Entity, they will be seeking new revenue streams, particularly if they exist among the current client base. If they are funding this new enterprise, I doubt very seriously there is some Machiavellian undercurrent to create a false market. Anyone who has ever collected pulps would understand the appeal. The slabbing of less-than-ideal specimens is a function of the individual collector or submitter, bearing in mind that there has never been a shortage of foolishness in any given collector base. There would be no need to fabricate that which already exists. A successful collector will focus on the proven, leaving the back-alley dice rolls to the inexperienced novice. That Citadel of Lost Ages looks like a Finlay cover, not exactly chopped liver, but certainly not iconic. Bear also in mind, not all Pulp collectors adhere to a simplistic "cover centric" mentality, and also focus on authors and first prints. Personal taste will always play a role, for example, I am fond of Fox and Crow, but not one issue sold in my recent thread. GOD BLESS ...

-jiimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

-jiimbo(a friend of jesus)

Another conspiracy, killed by common sense! (thumbsu