• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CATRICK'S CORNUCOPIA: LABORING TO BUILD A STRONG THREAD! LABOR IS OVER, THIS THREAD IS CLOSED!
9 9

472 posts in this topic

Kamandi #1

Not quite news stand fresh, but it's durned close. Whiff of general wear on a flat, tight, clean, glossy copy, white pages

Asking $35  SOLD!

KAMANDI1.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Strange Mysteries 19
Reprints Journey Into Fear #1, Matt Baker reprints

General wear, tiny split upper spine, ink lower edge BC, three old sets of staple holes, evidently neatly removed some time before I got it.
I can see no reason for the extra staples, lol 
Flat and tight, white pages

Asking $75

STRANGEMYS19.jpg

On 9/7/2024 at 8:42 AM, gunsmokin said:

Showcase… Showcase… showcase!

(Pats gun on head, shoos him gently away) 
Patience my lad, patience. That will be the last book of the thread, some time after 4 PM.

Here we go, last book for this session. 

Sub-Mariner 63
Mark Jewelers insert

Teensy dogears upper and lower RH FC, otherwise news stand fresh. White pages

Asking $40  SOLD!

SUBBY63.jpg

20240907_084812.jpg

Edited by catrick339

All right  Gang! I still have fifteen books to list, plus the Big Enchilada.

I intend to start back in at 3 PM, should take 60 to 90 minutes to list the balance, with the Showcase 4 coming after that. 

YOU HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED.

On 9/7/2024 at 8:53 AM, catrick339 said:

Here we go, last book for this session. 

Sub-Mariner 63
Mark Jewelers insert

Teensy dogears upper and lower RH FC, otherwise news stand fresh. White pages

Asking $40

SUBBY63.jpg

20240907_084812.jpg

TAKE - I was gonna pass bc I’m really only collecting the Everett issues but then I saw Chaykin did the pencils!

On 9/7/2024 at 7:46 AM, catrick339 said:

(Pats gun on head, shoos him gently away) 
Patience my lad, patience. That will be the last book of the thread, some time after 4 PM.

I say thee Nay! My liege! Mine eyes need to behold yon wondrous beauty! 
sorry, was just reading Bronze Age Buscema Thors.:cheers:

On 9/7/2024 at 9:54 AM, gunsmokin said:

I always found it odd that Ulik the Troll spoke Shakespearean English as well.

Must've gone to Cambridge

On 9/7/2024 at 11:11 AM, gunsmokin said:

He just aped what Kirby had already put on the page and called himself a writer when in reality he was an editor.

That’s one way to put it lol.  I do sometimes imagine Jack getting the pages back full of people going “I must reach out for the lever!” on a panel he drew of someone reaching out for a lever, and how much of an insulting flex it must have felt like.

I probably would’ve hit the roof or been drunker than Wally Wood.

On 9/7/2024 at 11:11 AM, gunsmokin said:

He just aped what Kirby had already put on the page and called himself a writer when in reality he was an editor.

I always thought Jack's dialog was horrible. The difference between Stan's Marvel dialog (and captions) was so much superior to the fourth world, I just can't fathom how someone could even compare the two. 2c GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Kirby's dialog suggestions didn't even begin appearing on the original art until Stan was more management oriented and the story quality had begun to dovetail. (shrug)

MEME STAN AND JACKB.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/6/2024 at 9:52 PM, catrick339 said:

Lois Lane 6

Not bad at first glance, but there's a neat bug chew upper edge of book, chips out, small water stains here and there, 
other minor mayhem. Still looks good in a mylar, perfectly nice reader. Tight, cream - offwhite pages.

Asking $20

LOISLANE6.jpg

Take it. 

On 9/7/2024 at 11:27 AM, jimjum12 said:

I always thought Jack's dialog was horrible. The difference between Stan's Marvel dialog (and captions) was so much superior to the fourth world, I just can't fathom how someone could even compare the two. 2c GOD BLESS ...

Kirby's dialog suggestions didn't even begin appearing on the original art until Stan was more management oriented and the story quality began to dovetail.

MEME STAN AND JACKB.jpg

I’m somewhere in the middle here.  I try to use Spider-Man as the best way to figure out what is Stan and what is Jack.

For example, it seems clear Stan is the only one bringing a human touch and relatableness to the characters and dialog.  And it also seems clear that Jack is the creator of the Marvel Universe, since Spidey’s world and villains basically are only his and don’t cross over.

That’s how I currently try to parse it

On 9/7/2024 at 10:27 AM, jimjum12 said:

Kirby's dialog suggestions didn't even begin appearing on the original art until Stan was more management oriented and the story quality had begun to dovetail. (shrug)

MEME STAN AND JACKB.jpg

To each his own my friend. I’ve seen original art from Jack’s two-gun kid 58-60 with Jack’s dialogue in the word balloons.