• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CATRICK'S CORNUCOPIA: LABORING TO BUILD A STRONG THREAD! LABOR IS OVER, THIS THREAD IS CLOSED!
9 9

472 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2024 at 11:35 AM, gunsmokin said:

To each his own my friend. I’ve seen original art from Jack’s two-gun kid 58-60 with Jack’s dialogue in the word balloons.

That wasn't always Jack. Stan wrote dialog on the page too... and I'm sorry you feel the need to continually bash Stan Lee. I preferred his era, when he moved up it was never the same. I miss his take on humanity. No one else ever got us like he did. Certainly not Kirby's Fourth World. I typically skipped them on the stand, after giving them a try for a few issues. I did buy Kamandi. Demon was also cool, but never, were ever, to me, even remote substitutions for Stan and Jack's FF or Thor. Stan made Kirby WAY better than he was alone, and that wasn't due to his enchanted propellor beanie. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/7/2024 at 8:34 AM, catrick339 said:

Kamandi #1

Not quite news stand fresh, but it's durned close. Whiff of general wear on a flat, tight, clean, glossy copy, white pages

Asking $35

KAMANDI1.jpg

:takeit:

GOD BLESS ... 

On 9/7/2024 at 10:43 AM, jimjum12 said:

That wasn't always Jack. Stan wrote dialog on the page too... and I'm sorry you feel the need to continually bash Stan Lee. I preferred his era, when he moved up it was never the same. I miss his take on humanity. No one else ever got us like he did. Certainly not Kirby's Fourth World. I typically skipped them on the stand, after giving them a try for a few issues. I did buy Kamandi. GOD BLESS ...

Some other time. 

On 9/7/2024 at 8:43 AM, jimjum12 said:

That wasn't always Jack. Stan wrote dialog on the page too... and I'm sorry you feel the need to continually bash Stan Lee. I preferred his era, when he moved up it was never the same. I miss his take on humanity. No one else ever got us like he did. Certainly not Kirby's Fourth World. I typically skipped them on the stand, after giving them a try for a few issues. I did buy Kamandi. Demon was also cool, but never were ever, to me, even remote substitutions for Stan and Jack's FF or Thor. Stan made Kirby WAY better than he was alone, and that wasn't due to his enchanted propellor beanie. GOD BLESS ...

Can this Preacher get an AMEN?!?

I also constantly find myself defending Señor Stanley Lieber

Although if I HAD to choose one creator over the other, I would have to side with Jack…

I think one thing nearly ALL can agree on is ….there was a beautiful period of time when they produced a SYNERGY that equalled more than the sum of its two parts.

In the meantime…since we are running out of things to argue about …let’s restart Kirby-Lee WWWIII!

heh heh

On 9/7/2024 at 12:25 PM, ThePreacher said:

Although if I HAD to choose one creator over the other, I would have to side with Jack…

I think one thing nearly ALL can agree on is ….there was a beautiful period of time when they produced a SYNERGY that equalled more than the sum of its two parts.

In the meantime…since we are running out of things to argue about …let’s restart Kirby-Lee WWWIII!

heh heh

Kinda like those 4 Blokes from Liverpool

On 9/7/2024 at 1:29 PM, CJ Design said:

Kinda like those 4 Blokes from Liverpool

Since they came up, here’s my hawt take:

Stan Lee, William Shatner, Paul McCartney - all functionally the same guy  in their respective group.

- Got most of the spotlight for one reason or another

- Arguably kind of a jerk, at minimum certainly extremely weird about division of credit and passive-aggressively patronizing and dismissive of other people’s contributions

- When asked about the obvious friction caused by their behavior, consistently act bemused

Edited by Corvonie

On 9/7/2024 at 12:25 PM, ThePreacher said:

heh heh

I certainly am not going to argue who was more important, but I think jimbo and the preacher summed things up pretty well...for me, I have read and tried to read many comics from the 1940's thru the early 1970's, but no comics held my interest better than the marvels from the early to mid  1960's...those 1970's kirby books have some great art, but I have trouble reading them to this day...

On 9/7/2024 at 1:28 PM, ThePreacher said:

Nothing but love for guys (both of you)

I think so much of gunsmokin that if he were here on vacation .... I would treat him to Barret's Raw Bar, which is definitely NOT McDonald's. Heck, I might even shave. Anyone who can put their hands on an FF 18 CGC 9.6 is obviously favored by the Gods. GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/7/2024 at 12:53 PM, Corvonie said:

Since they came up, here’s my hawt take:

Stan Lee, William Shatner, Paul McCartney - all functionally the same guy  in their respective group.

- Got most of the spotlight for one reason or another

- Arguably kind of a jerk, at minimum certainly extremely weird about division of credit and passive-aggressively patronizing and dismissive of other people’s contributions

- When asked about the obvious friction caused by their behavior, consistently act bemused

Hmmmm agree with most.....I certainly ALSO think that his demeanor would light John's fuse...and therefore continued making music.

On 9/7/2024 at 2:08 PM, CJ Design said:

Hmmmm agree with most.....I certainly ALSO think that his demeanor would light John's fuse...and therefore continued making music.

So, my one sentencer on John and Paul is

John wrote Happy Christmas (war is over)

Paul wrote Wonderful Christmas Time

and that should tell you all you need to know.

But I also agree with you and left out that important part:

all 3 of them were clearly the most focused and proactive about the success of the group endeavor.

Was Ditko or Jack gonna go around being the PT Barnum of comics?

No way. Everyone saw more success bc of Stan’s personality and drive.

On 9/7/2024 at 2:18 PM, Corvonie said:

From what I'm told, Ditko only left the Apartment if it caught fire, and Kirby was too busy to leave the basement. GOD BLESS ....

Catrick is certainly getting some bumps out of our BSD contest ...

"Man, this water cold!"

"And it DEEP too."

-R. Pryor

On 9/7/2024 at 1:18 PM, Corvonie said:

So, my one sentencer on John and Paul is

John wrote Happy Christmas (war is over)

Paul wrote Wonderful Christmas Time

and that should tell you all you need to know.

But I also agree with you and left out that important part:

all 3 of them were clearly the most focused and proactive about the success of the group endeavor.

No way. Everyone saw more success bc of Stan’s personality and drive.

:wink: aAgain agree, Paul was syrupy at times...but, John (a genius songwriter) also sang about Peace and treated people around harshly (sometimes VERY) and as a Millionaire++,  wrote Imagine No Possessions...BTW, I stole that bit from Elvis Costello.

On 9/7/2024 at 2:23 PM, jimjum12 said:

From what I'm told, Ditko only left the Apartment if it caught fire, and Kirby was too busy to leave the basement. GOD BLESS ....

Catrick is certainly getting some bumps out of our BSD contest ...

"Man, this water cold!"

"And it DEEP too."

-R. Pryor

A while back I asked in the general forum about running a sale with a ton of books and whether to list them in lots or individually.  Within 3 comments it turned into a BSD contest between 3 people about how quickly they could pack and ship a comic 😂.  It’s one of the things I love about the boards:

Everyone has opinions about everything

they’ll argue at the drop of a hat

99% of the time it’s respectful and you can tell these are people who are arguing like old friends 

On 9/7/2024 at 2:23 PM, jimjum12 said:

"Man, this water cold!"

"And it DEEP too."

-R. Pryor

You children play nice, now...

Edited by catrick339

On 9/7/2024 at 2:30 PM, CJ Design said:

:wink: aAgain agree, Paul was syrupy at times...but, John (a genius songwriter) also sang about Peace and treated people around harshly (sometimes VERY) and as a Millionaire++,  wrote Imagine No Possessions...BTW, I stole that bit from Elvis Costello.

The appletv documentary was extremely illuminating.  Just some of the things we learned:

1 - Yoko didn’t break up the Beatles.  She was too busy trying to keep John chewing gum so he wouldn’t nod off during the recording credits

2 - The songwriting process was truly collaborative

3 - The smartest guy in the band at that time was Ringo who says one sentence a day 🤣 (and then has to leave to film Caveman)