• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvels Greatest Comics?

21 posts in this topic

I just noticed an issue of Marvels Greatest Comics on eBay and recall having it when I was a kid. If I'm not mistaken, they reprint old Fantastic Four issues. Can anyone tell me how many issues were in the run and which FF issues they reprinted?

Seems like a good way to collect these old FF's on the cheap while still getting the look and feel of actual comic books.

I just noticed an issue of Marvels Greatest Comics on eBay and recall having it when I was a kid. If I'm not mistaken, they reprint old Fantastic Four issues. Can anyone tell me how many issues were in the run and which FF issues they reprinted?

Seems like a good way to collect these old FF's on the cheap while still getting the look and feel of actual comic books.

Yeah isn't reading comics great? What a great idea thumbsup2.gif

There's jsut no substituting a TPB for a real comic IMO!

Thanks for the help, guys. It's very much appreciated. So, the series started as Marvel Collectors' Item Classics, then switched to Marvels Greatest Comics at issue #23 and ended with issue #96. I may just have to pick this run up. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And r1970d, I definitely agree with you. There's just no substitute for a real comic. cloud9.gif

I may just have to pick this run up.

Its a challenging run in high grade, especially the issues from # 34-39. Took me a little over two years to find true 9.4 or better copies of just those six books.

I would echo that but not just looking for high grade, in my section of the country I rarely see them at all above issue 30 regardless of condition. (but my LCS is pathetic)

And while you are at it, check out Marvel Triple Action # 1.

Here's one I've wondered about. June 1970, did they get this alternate cover from Kirby before he left for DC, or was this a rough draft for FF 35 that didn't make it?

1039705-ff035.jpg

I guess they wanted to make Diablo a surprise and went with the other cover which looks better action wise. confused-smiley-013.gif

1039705-ff035.jpg.442c9a86a453aed9357b108ed2cbfa1a.jpg

Another Kirby cover September 1970.

This time I feel that Kirby made the second cover later, because of Medusa's hair covering looking more like we are used to seeing.

1039713-ff036.jpg

1039713-ff036.jpg.3d13d23645b7455bda92f2f0286b7e20.jpg

Thanks for the help, guys. It's very much appreciated. So, the series started as Marvel Collectors' Item Classics, then switched to Marvels Greatest Comics at issue #23 and ended with issue #96. I may just have to pick this run up. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And r1970d, I definitely agree with you. There's just no substitute for a real comic. cloud9.gif

Loved Marvel Collectors Item Classics and Marvels Greatest as a kid. Had the whole run (and the original FF duplicates).

Be warned, tho', that the reprint issues often lost a panel or three so they are not complete reprints.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Be warned, tho', that the reprint issues often lost a panel or three so they are not complete reprints.

Thanks for the heads up. And yeah, I noticed that might happen when I checked out issue #96 in the Grand Comics Database.

"Reprint from Fantastic Four #116. Eleven pages have been removed from the 34-page original." 893whatthe.gif