• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the deal with Web of Venom: Carnage Born #1 (Mayhew edition)
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I bought my husband a Web of Venom : Carnage Born # 1 Mayhew Ultimate Edition (111/300)  back in 2020 as an anniversary gift. 

When I purchased it I was told it was a limited print variant for a convention. It is one of many CBCS 9.8 graded comics and has Mayhew's signature. 

So here is my dilemma,

There is absolutely NO information on it or about it other than a limited amount of eBay listings. 

I scoured forums, websites, and CGC database, and there is nothing. NADA. 

When the QR code is scanned it does say it's authentic, and as far as I can tell there is nothing shady seeming about it, but the lack of information feels like a red flag. 

Does anyone know the story here with this? 

Would it be worth it to get it regraded with CGC ? 

Did I get Scammed by a comic book store? 

Is the comic cursed? 

On 9/10/2024 at 11:12 PM, TexxLexx said:

words and panic.

I didn't see the slab prior to it being removed but I am going to assume this is the book:

image.png.ebebcd22699a03d58e8bcddce91fad6d.png

The information should be on the label explaining the promotion but for some additional background:

This was a "virgin variant" cover created by "the Comic Mint" and drawn by Mike Mayhew back in 2018/2019 it was exclusively limited to 300 signed, witnessed, and graded 9.8 copies via CBCS only. Anything not graded 9.8 or over the 300 allowed was destroyed (there are probably copies floating around). CGC has nothing to do with this book so you will not see it on the census or the CGC forums in general.

I am not sure what other information you need as it is just another variant cover created for this issue. All of the certification information will be on the CBCS website, it is authentic, not cursed or a scam.

As for having it regraded; I would advise against it. They currently sell on ebay for only $100+ and CGC is having some "issues" with their modern slabs and or handling. If you for some reason absolutely need it in a CGC slab it will cost $50 to grade and authenticate the signature (25/25) plus shipping to them and back so you already close to the $100 mark and you have to worry about it receiving a lower grade.

Just enjoy the book for what it is.

If you have a book that is graded by CBCS, I would consider contacting CBCS about the authenticity of the book.  You can probably send CBCS a picture and see what info they have.  They (like many companies) have paid customer service representatives who answer questions about their products and services.

As for if it would be worth it to be reslabbed /regraded by CGC, it doesn't seem enough data exists to make any kind of guess about value.  But if I were serious about it, I would wait a year to six months (after the process smooths out there's some sales data) and do my own analysis of verified CGC JSA signatures vs CBCS gold label sales prices, doing my best to account for title/rarity/age/signer.

If you believe your book is as rare as the previous poster has stated, that of course should factor into your decision and data sets you are using for comparison.