• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,603 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2024 at 7:04 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

I believe you probably came to this discussion without bias. 

No one comes into anything without bias. The question is whether we can keep our bias in check enough to listen to the arguments of others, find actual evidence to support or rebut the views in the conversation, and have the ability to change views if the evidence warrants. Astute readers of this thread probably have noticed I'm open to changing my opinion to conclude that Kirby had no hand in creating Thor. Not because of opinions as to whether Stan did the dialogue, but based on the possible establishment of the fact that Kirby dialogued JIM 83 based on his writing of the dialogue into the balloons. PN asserts we will be able to see pics of the OA which show that. If those pics ever emerge they may close the debate on whether Stan was involved in creating Thor. 

In contrast, I'm not seeing much engagement with the extensive evidence put up on this thread establishing that Spider-Man was a Lee and Ditko creation. Instead, I see the continued assertion that Kirby created nearly everything, including Spider-Man. Ditko and Simon (and of course Lee) disagree.  Ditko says it was a Lee and Ditko creation. Simon says it wasn't him and Kirby. Yet this goes ignored. That's the cognitive weakness called confirmation bias - a flaw in reasoning that causes people to ignore evidence that conflicts with their beliefs.

On 10/17/2024 at 5:00 AM, comicwiz said:

In the context of whether a radio interview in 1961 was possible at a point when Marvel was still in it's infancy - I think a few members have already provided some great responses. However, consider this as well.

Dr. Michael J Vassallo's Timely/Atlast blog provides us some insights as to the early days of "fan mail" - but specifically, Lee's staged letter stunts

Stan-Lee-planted-letters.png.bbfec0b0bef1d3e219a5ef366782727e.png

suspense-plant-letters.thumb.jpg.46f40f1385a6a7305b18a1263397626e.jpg

Stan-lee-plant-letters2.png.6ad313ef380ae0f3132dcba321e9af69.png

Stan-plant-letter2.thumb.jpg.5a0ad59bcad28fedfb8a82a8df0a2535.jpg

Stan-plant-letter3.thumb.jpg.13e6ee6ecd63f45c2d55a30e6b94abc0.jpg

The use of "planted letters" was not, I think, a Stan Lee invention. But reading those letter pages sure makes it clear that Stan had a gift of gab and promotion. Thanks for posting them!

On 10/17/2024 at 9:44 AM, sfcityduck said:

as there is no evidence Lee and Ditko had Kirby comic collections;

I guarantee Ditko didn't unless they were his file copies.  Anyone who read Atlas Shrugged wouldn't have time to read anything else in a normal lifespan. lol GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

What happened in issues of ASM have zero relevance to the creation of Spider-Man because Kirby admits he was not involved in any issues of ASM;

Here I think you're not doing justice to the Stan Taylor / Chuck Gower argument.  As far as we know, Kirby never spoke directly to Ditko about his Spiderman concept or the eventual Amazing Spider-Man, and from what I've read of Ditko's writings, his only contact was Stan.  So it is possible that some of what wound up in early issues of ASM was the result of either Kirby's original pitch to Stan, or a pre-ASM plotting conference Stan & Jack had before the concept was ever brought to Ditko.  I believe the argument is it was Kirby's ideas that were transmitted to Ditko via one or more of the Stan synopses.  We can argue the strength of the evidence for making that claim, but the claim doesn't require Kirby to be knowingly feeding Ditko with ideas, or for Ditko to maintain his own comic collection. I'm not entirely convinced that Kirby is the source of most of what Stan brought to Ditko's Amazing Spider-Man, but it cannot be dismissed out of hand.

(3) The argument that Kirby used the same plot as was used in an early issue of ASM in a LATER story about SHIELD would only support Kirby’s plagiarism of Lee and Ditko not the reverse;

Here I think you're confusing a claim made about Archie's The Double Life of Private Strong (featuring a Shield character) with Marvel's later Nick Fury series. 

On 10/17/2024 at 8:44 PM, sfcityduck said:

You are now arguing that “Steve Ditko Lied” and everything is plagiarized from Kirby? Absurd.

No. Lee gave his input on story ideas. Ditko has no idea where the story ideas came from. 

Obvious problems with Mr. Taylor’s argument; 

(1) What happened in issues of ASM have zero relevance to the creation of Spider-Man because Kirby admits he was not involved in any issues of ASM;

No but Kirby reused ideas over and over, especially on early issues of a new character. In talking to Lee about ideas he could've shared those ideas. 

(2) There is no evidence, for example, that Steve or Stan read any Manhunter stories back in the early 1940s or owned the comics such that they could have plagiarized them 20 or so years later — ditto for the rest of the examples as there is no evidence Lee and Ditko had Kirby comic collections;

No one is making that claim.

(3) The argument that Kirby used the same plot as was used in an early issue of ASM in a LATER story about SHIELD would only support Kirby’s plagiarism of Lee and Ditko not the reverse;

The Shield as in the Double Life of Private Strong at Archie Comics. Done at the same time as the Fly.

(4) The “Kirby ideas” Mr. Taylor focuses upon as evidencing Kirby involvement are all generally unoriginal — like using a villain that is a master of disguise — which is why it is no surprise that Mr. Taylor says these are are a staple of Kirby’s work;

But NOT a staple of Lee or Ditko's previous work. Or AT ALL. 

(5) Mr. Taylor’s “case” is unsupported by any statements from Kirby — it is a fantasy case based on his opinions regarding the similarities of comic book stories which is a flawed argument given that comics are a formulaic field;

He agrees. BUT “This similar plotting sequence is a lot like DNA testing, one or two match-ups doesn’t mean a thing, but the odds increase exponentially with each added matched item.”

(6) The statements of Ditko and Simon rebut his general thesis — it does not escape notice that you and Mr. Taylor ignore everything Ditko has written about AF 15 in a stunning example of the cognitive flaw of “confirmation bias”; and 

Again, Ditko only knew what Lee told him.

(7) your argument falls prey to the logical fallacy of What Ifism or the “false hypothetical” in arguing that because Kirby had once drawn a stereotypical skinny nerd character he “could have” drawn Peter Parker” as a skinny nerd. Problem is the evidence is all that he did not and instead drew him as a Captain America type;

Because "Stan said so?"

(8) The argument that Stan used the AF 15 cover with a heroic athletic Spider-Man evidences that Stan didn’t want a geeky SM but Kirby did, is not only self-rebutting and counter intuitive, but ignores  the actual evidence on the cover  change — including Ditko’s rejected AF 15 cover which just was not very good.

No, it's simply showing that Lee's STATEMENT that he didn't want an overly heroic Spider-man is somewhat bizarre in that he put one of the first cover.

I could go into much greater detail but there is no need. Mr.Taylor’s flimsy argument does not reveal anything other than where you get your weak arguments.

why not address what Ditko and Simon say about the creation of SM instead of trying to change the focus to issues of ASM that came out months later?

(Edited to correct many typos from trying to use phone)

What the hell would Simon know? 

On 10/17/2024 at 9:32 PM, Zonker said:

Here I think you're not doing justice to the Stan Taylor / Chuck Gower argument.  As far as we know, Kirby never spoke directly to Ditko about his Spiderman concept or the eventual Amazing Spider-Man, and from what I've read of Ditko's writings, his only contact was Stan.  So it is possible that some of what wound up in early issues of ASM was the result of either Kirby's original pitch to Stan, or a pre-ASM plotting conference Stan & Jack had before the concept was ever brought to Ditko.  I believe the argument is it was Kirby's ideas that were transmitted to Ditko via one or more of the Stan synopses.  We can argue the strength of the evidence for making that claim, but the claim doesn't require Kirby to be knowingly feeding Ditko with ideas, or for Ditko to maintain his own comic collection. I'm not entirely convinced that Kirby is the source of most of what Stan brought to Ditko's Amazing Spider-Man, but it cannot be dismissed out of hand.

Yep. Kirby for all of these characters claimed to have ideas for where they would go, so it would be natural for him to talk about it. 

Even Iron Man's origin, which he jumped the gun on to leave Kirby out of, even though Don Heck has said he used Kirby's cover as his guide for TOS#39. With ZERO mention of Larry Lieber or a script. He went straight from 'Lee's synopsis' which could've easily come from Kirby - who'd used that same story before.

I wonder if people think the 'hero trapped on a deserted island who is forced to build a weapon but then uses it against his captors' is an over used storyline?

(7) your argument falls prey to the logical fallacy of What Ifism or the “false hypothetical” in arguing that because Kirby had once drawn a stereotypical skinny nerd character he “could have” drawn Peter Parker” as a skinny nerd. Problem is the evidence is all that he did not and instead drew him as a Captain America type;

When Ditko left the book, how did Lee direct Romita how to draw Spidey? LOL. Looks pretty Captain America heroic to me. He beefed up Peter Parker too. 

Screen Shot 2024-10-17 at 9.53.09 PM.png

On 10/17/2024 at 9:46 AM, Prince Namor said:

Yep. Kirby for all of these characters claimed to have ideas for where they would go, so it would be natural for him to talk about it. 

Even Iron Man's origin, which he jumped the gun on to leave Kirby out of, even though Don Heck has said he used Kirby's cover as his guide for TOS#39. With ZERO mention of Larry Lieber or a script. He went straight from 'Lee's synopsis' which could've easily come from Kirby - who'd used that same story before.

I wonder if people think the 'hero trapped on a deserted island who is forced to build a weapon but then uses it against his captors' is an over used storyline?

Lee had a history of soliciting other people (including readers) for plot ideas, which (as editor) he then passed along to his creative people. Didn't Charles Biro complain about this in the early 1950s?

On 10/17/2024 at 10:32 AM, Zonker said:

Ditko is on record for claiming that it was he who pointed out the GLARING similarities between The Fly and Kirby's SM, so that he saw it, and that it existed seems likely. I wish II had a copy of the comment saved. 

Since so very much of this is going to be hearsay, conjecture, and hyperbole, I may as well add my own hypothesis. Bear in mind that I am smarter than 3 circus donkeys, and almost always right. 

Stan trusted Jack with at least the specifics at one point, and Jack plagiarized one of his own recent efforts at another publisher. The similarity was deemed too recent and identical,  so back to the drawing board with Ditko. I see no reason to discount Stan's claim to have suggested "Spider" after being clued in to The Fly, and the popularity of The Spider pulp fits the timelines for Stan OR Jack's exposure to that source. I don't for a minute think Stan had much if any input on costume design, other than final approval, which in itself should not be assessed in a dismissive fashion. It's definitely something, as is editorial direction and public perceptions of a franchise. GOD BLESS ...

-jmbo(a frend of jesus)(thumbsu

MEME ASM.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 10/17/2024 at 10:26 PM, jimjum12 said:

Ditko is on record for claiming that it was he who pointed out the GLARING similarities between The Fly and Kirby's SM, so that he saw it, and that it existed seems likely. I wish II had a copy of the comment saved. 

“I told Stan it sounded like Joe Simon's character, The Fly (1959), that Kirby had some hand in, for Archie Comics…Stan called Jack about The Fly. I don't know what was said in that call. Day(s) later, Stan told me we would be doing (Spider-Man). I would be penciling the story panel breakdowns from Stan's synopsis and doing the inking.

- Steve Ditko, in ‘A Mini-History - 13. ‘Speculation’ © 2003 S. Ditko

Let's look at the full quote and take notice to what Ditko specifically points out... nothing about 'too heroic looking'...

“For me, the [Spider- Man] saga began when Stan called me into his office and told me I would be inking Jack Kirby’s pencils on a new Marvel hero, [Spider-Man]... Stan never told me who came up with the idea for [Spider-Man] or for the story Kirby was penciling. Stan did tell me [he] was a teenager who had a magic ring that transformed him into an adult hero... I told Stan it sounded like Joe Simon’s character, The Fly, that Kirby had some hand in, for Archie Comics [in 1959].

“Stan called Jack about The Fly. I don’t know what was said in that call. Day(s) later, Stan told me we would be doing [Spider-Man]. I would be penciling the story panel breakdowns from Stan’s synopsis and doing the inking.

“Kirby’s five penciled [Spider-Man] story/art pages were rejected. Out went the magic ring, adult [hero] and whatever legend ideas that story would have contained.

“Now we can speculate: What if I never said anything about the Simon Fly, and Kirby had completed penciling that magic ring- teenager-into-an-adult-SM-legend story? ...There would be lots of nots: Not my web-designed costume, not a full mask, web-shooters, no spider-senses, no spider-like action, poses, fighting style, and page breakdowns, etc.

“There is not even a credible resemblance [to Joe Simon’s never-realized Silver Spider], not any valid point of comparison, between the non-Marvel Fly, unused [Spider-Man] pages, and the published Marvel [Spider-Man].”

- Steve Ditko, in ‘A Mini-History - 13. ‘Speculation’ © 2003 S. Ditko