• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,600 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2024 at 1:37 PM, jimjum12 said:

As a fan of literature and the written word, I will often mention theme, tone, voice, and spirit, when comparing one wordsmith to another. As has been said before, NONE of us were there, but I've read that Everett both penciled, plotted AND dialogued the Sub Mariner revival of #33-42. That being said, I have NO problema in recognizing a similar tone, voice, and spirit in DD 1 that parallels Everett's earlier work. One chief characteristic it lacks, as an aside, is San Lee's zany undercurrent that was mostly ALL his own. GOD BLESS...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Stan loved working with Everett, and I'm sure he would have offered Bill the moon to lure him from his stable and lucrative advertising career, unlike Kirby, who showed up bawling and begging after D.C. had put the foot upside his rump and his wife was, allegedly, packing to go home to mama.

Fun fact for today, Everett also lettered much of his Timely and Atlas work, being an early work-at-home freelancer, making it easier for him to get his drink on. 

You're glossing over a couple of important facts. The first is with the analysis provided, it appears the reason Daredevil #1 was late was due to Stan, not because of Everett's "drinking problems." The other is that writing dialogue doesn't constitue deserving credit or pay as writer. 

The euphemisms for Lee being thrown around, to make it seem less cruel and deplorable are that he liked to embellish. He was a showman! Shackled to the brand, doing whatever it took to make Marvel!!

I've already stated my views explicitly on the thought he would try to blame Everett with the "drinking problem" narrative as a blame shifting ploy, a lie which is still being pushed by executives at Marvel.

But for anyone finding that too hard to believe, or that he wouldn't do such a thing, consider what his own brother wrote:

Larry-story.thumb.jpg.ff92135e4b538fd00426f04bdf6d9ed5.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

On 10/18/2024 at 12:06 PM, Zonker said:

It's also possible that Kirby departed from his usual write-everything-as-I'm drawing-it mode, and that his "blitz" of new characters for Marvel included sample plotlines for the first 4 or 5 issues, just to demonstrate how his ideas could be played out into ongoing series that would have legs. 

You know me well.

Here's how I would put it though: Anything is possible. Arguing that something is hypothetically possible is not evidence. To the contrary, its a logical fallacy called the Appeal to Possibility. Maybe it works if you are discussing the Loki "timelines" plot, but it has no place in a serious discussion of a topic like this.

Which is why the burden of proof in our legal system, at its very lowest, is "the preponderance of the evidence." And you cannot cross even that low bar when you have no evidence at all that the possibility you say "could have been" ever was. 

We are seeing a lot of "What If-ism" and "Appeals to Possibility" on this thread that lack evidence of tying them in any way to the real factual story. An example: The notion that because Kirby could draw a nerdy teen in glasses that meant he created Peter Parker. Almost all comic artists can draw a nerdy teen in glasses, including Steve Ditko. So that "possibility" tells you nothing about what Kirby did and did not create or plot. 

By comparison, Kirby's lack of a claim that he plotted ASM is strong evidence that he did not plot ASM. If Kirby hoped to rebut Ditko's devastating essays establishing Kirby wasn't Spider-Man's creator, he'd have put forward his plotting of ASM issues as a helpful fact. Kirby didn't. Instead, once Ditko set the record straight, Kirby had very little further to say on the matter.

One problem with the historical record here: No one really asked Kirby the hard questions. Groth threw him softballs and leading questions intended to push positions consistent with Groth's political viewpoints. To his credit, Kirby pushed back more than once on Groth's leading questions -- giving answers that defied Groth's hopes. But I don't know of any interviewers who asked Kirby intentionally tough questions -- like about the 1966 declaration -- or who confronted Kirby with contradictory facts. Might also be true for Lee. It sure doesn't help anyone find the truth. As I said up thread, I'd have loved to cross-examine Kirby. True for Stan also. They both went from crediting each other as co-creators for most of the MU in the 1960s to embittered overclaims in the 1970s. 

Fortunately, contrary to what Mitch recalls, I don't know anyone who did not know that Stan Lee had artist co-creators of the Marvel Universe when I started collecting in the 1970s. Frankly, I don't know anyone who ever bought Origins or Son of Origins who read what Stan wrote. I just read the comics.  

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/18/2024 at 3:25 PM, comicwiz said:

You're glossing over a couple of important facts. The first is with the analysis provided, it appears the reason Daredevil #1 was late was due to Stan, not because of Everett's drinking problems. The other is that writing dialogue doesn't constitue deserving credit or pay as writer. 

The euphemisms for Lee being thrown around, to make it seem less cruel and deplorable are that he liked to embellish. He was a showman! Shackled to the brand, doing whatever it took to make Marvel!!

I've already stated my views explicitly on the thought he would try to blame Everett with the "drinking problem" narrative as a blame shifting ploy, a lie which is still being pushed by executives at Marvel.

I mentioned nothing about any of this.  Not even remotely, just that I agree that Everett wrote it as well. 

Contention for contention's sake seems to be a hallmark of your posts. You've already gotten the thread locked once. Carry on. 

GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/18/2024 at 12:25 PM, comicwiz said:

You're glossing over a couple of important facts. The first is .... The other is that writing dialogue doesn't constitue deserving credit or pay as writer. 

Says who? 

Under the Marvel method, dialoging is the most time consuming task for the writer and the one where the writer does his/her's most important jobs: Creating the voice and personality of the characters, explaining any ambiguities left by the art, and texture to the story.

What you are calling a "fact" is really a "bald assertion." Stated differently, an assertion that lacks any evidentiary support.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/18/2024 at 3:31 PM, sfcityduck said:

If Kirby hoped to rebut Ditko's devastating essays establishing Kirby wasn't Spider-Man's creator, he'd have put forward his plotting of ASM issues as a helpful fact. Kirby didn't. Instead, once Ditko set the record straight, Kirby had very little further to say on the matter.

Good post above, my only pushback is I'm pretty sure Kirby had passed away well before Ditko shared his recollections in print.  The ones I've seen have all been from after the turn of the most recent century. 

On 10/18/2024 at 1:09 PM, Zonker said:

Good post above, my only pushback is I'm pretty sure Kirby had passed away well before Ditko shared his recollections in print.  The ones I've seen have all been from after the turn of the most recent century. 

Correction the article came out in 1990.

when did Kirby die?

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/18/2024 at 4:16 PM, Zonker said:

1994 :(

He faked his death :gossip:

He is, at this minute, in New Haven eating some of the best Pizza on the Planet. I know this because I quit Stan and am now Jack's pool boy ... got a nice raise too. Roz? :whistle:

On 10/17/2024 at 12:07 PM, Albert Tatlock said:
On 10/17/2024 at 12:01 PM, Ken Aldred said:

During the early Silver Age, Kirby did tend to draw slimmer-looking characters.

That, I think, was often a consequence of Dick Ayers' inking.

I'm not sure but I much prefer his earlier, lithe characters, especially Thor and I'd never thought about it as Ayer's influence. Might be right. 

Kirby's characters certainly did look more bulky mid 60's onward. It's one of the things I didn't like about his work. 

On 10/17/2024 at 12:41 PM, sfcityduck said:

Fact: Kirby was not involved in any plotting sessions for ASM issues.

Fact: Ditko says Kirby's ideas for Spider-Man were "failed ideas" and he had no influence on the version of Spider-Man that appeared in AF 15, including Peter Parker's appearance.

Fact: Ditko says he worked off of Stan's 1.5 page synopsis for AF 15. 

Fact: Ditko who read the synopsis and saw Kirby's OA for the failed attempt at Spider-Man says the only similarities were a kindly Aunt May, the use of Uncle Ben as the name of an overbearing Uncle/former police office in the Thunderbolt Ross mold, and the name.

Fact: Unlike Ditko who created a long-term plan for his characters, Kirby stated he plotted panel by panel and page by page without ever creating any written scripts or plots:

From the 1989 TCJ interview:

GROTH: I think you were drawing much of the time three books a month, and those books must have been about 24 pages — so you were turning out roughly 75 pages a month. Was that a strain?

KIRBY: No, I like working hard. Not only that, but if you look at some of my old pages, notice the expressions on the people — they’re very real expressions. I was totally immersed in the characters. I penciled fast, I wrote fast. Nobody could have written it for me because they couldn’t have understood the situation or what to do.

ROZ KIRBY: He never wrote the story ahead of time, he wrote while he was drawing.

KIRBY: In other words, I’d never planned a story 

GROTH: That’s my next question. When you were doing a story, say, the first Dragon Man story in Fantastic Four that took place on a campus — would you plot that out in your mind?

KIRBY: No, no, I’d take it from the beginning, then say, what would he do? Here he is, he’s a dragon — this guy is in a mess! He’s really a human being, but he’s a dragon— what would a human being trapped in those circumstances do? Then I’d come up with an answer. I didn’t plan out the entire story. I had to do it panel by panel because I had to think for each individual. Sometime even after I thought it out, the story would come out different because on the way something would happen and this guy would have to make other plans.

Fact: Amazing Fantasy 15 covered date 8/62 was a tryout for Spider-Man. Amazing Spider-Man 1 covered dated 3/63 came out SEVEN MONTHS LATER making it highly unlikely that Jack and Stan were having plotting sessions for ASM issues.

Fact: Jack Kirby never claimed to have plotted any issue of ASM or to have created any villains that first appeared in ASM. To the contrary, he just claimed he created Spider-Man and the idea was handed over to Ditko to actually implement. A claim is being made here that even Jack Kirby never put forward.

Fact: Jack Kirby could NEVER draw Spider-man properly. I've stated this before on here, but to me Kirby's Spider-man always looked clunky and awkward. Ditko's Spider-man looked like Caravaggio by comparison. 

Stan made the right call by investing Ditko into that character...and ironically, nobody else could have made that call. 

That 5 minute meeting must have been a good one!

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/18/2024 at 1:26 PM, VintageComics said:

Stan made the right call by investing Ditko into that character...and ironically, nobody else could have made that call. 

That 5 minute meeting must have been a good one!

Ditko stated the meetings were longer. And what ultimately made Ditko leave Marvel is he said that Stan would no longer meet with him. Ditko wanted the meetings.

On 10/18/2024 at 9:26 PM, VintageComics said:

I'm not sure but I much prefer his earlier, lithe characters, especially Thor and I'd never thought about it as Ayer's influence. Might be right. 

Kirby's characters certainly did look more bulky mid 60's onward. It's one of the things I didn't like about his work

I agree. Much prefer his early Silver Age figure work as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/18/2024 at 4:37 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I agree. Much prefer his early Silver Age figure work as well.

Kirby had developed a more utilitarian style in the late 60's, designed for rapid completion and remuneration. From a financial standpoint, perhaps a gain, But the work from his hungry years, beginning with Yellow Claw, COTU, and a few others, were to me, the prime examples of his potential. Some of my favorite pieces, on the other hand, were magazine and portfolio illustrations that featured a synthesis of machine and biology that began with his masterpiece, Galactus. To me that was the crucible point of the Marvel Universe, where Jack truly opened the floodgates for all the rest of his associates and competitors. It was then, I believe, that Stan first realized what he had his hands on. No turning back. Raw power. Still, those exquisite Kirby Wood challengers were a thing of graceful yet dynamic excellence. It's a shame so many egos got in the way, but I think that burning fast and bright was the only way. GOD BLESS ... 

I wonder sometimes if Jack created Hubble?

MEME GOD'S HANDS.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 10/18/2024 at 7:25 AM, comicwiz said:

This topic is subject to further analysis in an FB group post from yesterday, particularly in relation to Bill Everett and Daredevil #1

"DAREDEVIL #1 original art has Bill Everett's border notes for Lee but also shows Everett's penciled lettering in the balloon and caption areas.  Odd because if Everett was working from a full script why would Everett include border notes? 

In addition Everett did the inked lettering as evidenced in places where a paste-up lettered by Sam Rosen has fallen off. 
Lee doesn't make any changes to Everett's text in this case. Lee simply has Rosen write out the same words in a different style. 

Everett's border notes, penciled lettering on the page and Everett being the original inked letterer suggests it's not unlikely Everett wrote DAREDEVIL #1. 
Other pages from the published story show considerable evidence of tampering with a number of whole panels having been pasted down over top of artwork which is now hidden beneath the new panel. Page 13 is a good example with five panels having been pasted over with new art."

"The fact Everett completed the story including the lettering tells us Lee blaming Everett being late is a lie. We know Everett lettered several of the pages because the paste-overs have fallen off. Since Everett also inked the story and inking is done after lettering that means Everett penciled, lettered, inked and probably wrote a complete story he turned in to Lee. The delay was caused by Lee not Everett. Lee blaming Everett also resulted in numerous fans and "historians" feeling the need to blame the lateness on Everett having a drinking problem.
My assumption is Everett left the title not because he blew a deadline and was replaced but because Lee wanted the writing money."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My take: I'll leave it for the board members to decide if this reveals more proof that Lee was only doing dialogue and nothing else. 

AND IF TRUE that Everett was unfairly blamed, then that's a pretty heinous thing to have done to blame Everett for being late due to having a drinking problem. Both inexusable, and indefensible IMO.

We learn of Bill Everett's career in the book Fire & Water, but also about Daredevil #1's "lateness" through a post in 2011 by Tom Brevoort

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESO Network April 13 2011:

"Tom Brevoort, currently Marvel’s senior vice president of publishing, has been answering fan questions over on formspring, and he recently revealed that the whole reason an Avengers comic had to be created was because Daredevil #1 was late."

According to Brevoort:

"Bill Everett, with whom Stan co-created Daredevil, had both a day job and a drinking problem. And so production on Daredevil #1 fell way behind. In those days, you booked print time way ahead of time--and if your book wasn't ready, you paid for the printing time anyway. So it was vital to get something to press on time. But Bill Everett was a favorite of Martin Goodman, stemming back to the 40s when he created the Sub-Mariner."

I argued in favor of Bill Everett's authorship of Daredevil #1 on Tom Brevoort's site a couple of years ago. No reaction. Not even a rebuttal.

We did see a few years later, beginning with Sub-Mariner #50, that Everett was a more than capable writer.

On 10/18/2024 at 6:00 PM, Prince Namor said:

Newsboy Legion? Fighting American?

2c

This will always be a matter of taste, but I always felt those were forced and more slapstick. Like I said, my opinion, which along with a dollar will get me a cup of coffee. Kirby's humor was like the inclusion of Don Rickles. He still actually had a sense of humor. I read Mr A. and some other solo Ditko, and his sense of comedy and humor ... well, your mileage may vary. I got belly laughs out of some, but not all, of Stan's stuff. Again, just my opinion, but Simonson "got" Stan. GOD BLESS ... 

Edited by jimjum12