• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you trust Ebay members with Private feedback?

45 posts in this topic

Here's a simple question, and it's asked seriously:

Why does ebay allow private feedback at all? Is it simply a matter of more $$ for ebay? Are they that shallow?

Good question. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't see ANY justification for private feedback. Why bother having feedback at all if someone who has bad feedback can just hide it?

And the only justification I can see for private bidding is for items in the "adult" categories where bidders may not want others to know they are bidding on items of a private nature.

I have never & will never bid on an auction where feedback is hidden. sumo.gif

If I want to lose my money, I would rather just throw it out the window of my car as I drive down a road. makepoint.gif

Same here. It's automatically suspicious, IMO. Like the saying goes, "Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing."

I know that some people, at least those that are just ebay buyers, don't like the fact that someone can see what they bought, not so much what the feedback is. Imagine if everytime you came home from a store that you had to show all of your neighbors what you bought. Whether it's anything personal or not, it's none of their business.

For that reason, it seems like it would be nice if ebay allowed hiding the specific item number while allowing the feedback comments and the user id's that left the feedback so they can be seen.

I know that some people, at least those that are just ebay buyers, don't like the fact that someone can see what they bought, not so much what the feedback is. Imagine if everytime you came home from a store that you had to show all of your neighbors what you bought. Whether it's anything personal or not, it's none of their business.

For that reason, it seems like it would be nice if ebay allowed hiding the specific item number while allowing the feedback comments and the user id's that left the feedback so they can be seen.

Or you could just decide to make your questionable purchases somewhere other than a global, open-to-anyone, auction house? confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't like that idea because we can identify scammer the way it is now. Let's say someone has a feeback of 50 and it's $1-$5 items they bought. And then all of a sudden, they are selling FF1.

I don't neccessarily look at what they bought/sold, but the price.

One totally legit reason for someone to use the private feedback option is to keep the whole known universe from being able to determine the type of volume that they are doing.One may not want the whole of ebay to know that they are flipping copies of Action # 1,'tec 27,etc.It can simply be a security measure.I personally enjoy looking at the specific transactions within a given users feedback to see what others collect.And what they got it for.I know some ebay sellers switch to private because of bad or controversial reputations.An example of the latter group( although I don't know this from experience) is seller COMIC KEYS.That is what I have heard.That seller does offer a money back guarantee if the book is found to be restored,but then again,I have no personal experience with him/her.I've had positive transactions with a couple of private sellers,but I would proceed with caution.I got a d@mn nice ASM # 26 from a bsilva.Recommended!GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Or you could just decide to make your questionable purchases somewhere other than a global, open-to-anyone, auction house? confused-smiley-013.gif

My point isn't so much questionable purchases as it is friends who know your ebay id and who like to peruse your purchases just because they are nosy.

My feedback is not private but I have had such a friend who considers it a topic of conversation with others to talk about how much this friend spent for something or what someone bought on ebay.

When I spend $800 on some comic book, I don't consider that to be something that I want made public to everyone that knows me just on the basis of financial privacy reasons. For individuals in particular, your ebay transactions do give the world insight into your financial background if they know your id.

My point isn't so much questionable purchases as it is friends who know your ebay id and who like to peruse your purchases just because they are nosy.

My feedback is not private but I have had such a friend who considers it a topic of conversation with others to talk about how much this friend spent for something or what someone bought on ebay.

When I spend $800 on some comic book, I don't consider that to be something that I want made public to everyone that knows me just on the basis of financial privacy reasons. For individuals in particular, your ebay transactions do give the world insight into your financial background if they know your id.

Which is obviously a problem if you tell your neighbour what your eBay ID is, I suppose.

And of course, all your friends and work colleagues.

foreheadslap.gif

Which is obviously a problem if you tell your neighbour what your eBay ID is, I suppose.

And of course, all your friends and work colleagues.

foreheadslap.gif

True, it's best to keep it private, but in the not to distant past, it was possible to find anyone's ebay id if you knew their email address. You simply searched by someone's email address and ebay provided the results for that person's ebay id.

Anyhow, I can see some people wanting to keep the detail private even if feedback is all positive. But back to the original poster's question, I do prefer that sellers leave the feedback visible. They can always have a separate id for personal transactions if they like.

I asked him the seller- gio72 a bunch of Questions and this is what he told me.

hello

my feedback is 100%,what am i hiding?who ever your talking too,is given you wrong advice,not many can sell comics for 6 years and hold a perfect record,all my feedbacks are for selling,about 1% is for buying.I GUARENTEE THAT THIS COMIC AND ANY COMIC I SELL IS UNRESTORED AND NOT A QUALIFIED COPY,OTHERWISE I WILL FULLY REFUND THE BUYER NO QUESTIONS ASKED.you have thirty days to check it.most buyers won't even give that amount of time,if you want to pick it up you can.i give every option and guarentee everything i sell.i wouldn't worry when buying from me.ill get the scans for you.i just wanted to email you first.

thank you

gio72

I want to write him back and tell him, he is dirty scum!!! What do you think?

I asked him the seller- gio72 a bunch of Questions and this is what he told me.

hello

my feedback is 100%,what am i hiding?who ever your talking too,is given you wrong advice,not many can sell comics for 6 years and hold a perfect record,all my feedbacks are for selling,about 1% is for buying.I GUARENTEE THAT THIS COMIC AND ANY COMIC I SELL IS UNRESTORED AND NOT A QUALIFIED COPY,OTHERWISE I WILL FULLY REFUND THE BUYER NO QUESTIONS ASKED.you have thirty days to check it.most buyers won't even give that amount of time,if you want to pick it up you can.i give every option and guarentee everything i sell.i wouldn't worry when buying from me.ill get the scans for you.i just wanted to email you first.

thank you

gio72

I want to write him back and tell him, he is dirty scum!!! What do you think?

I think 30 days is very reasonable, considering that CGC will take twice that time to assess and grade your purchase... yeahok.gif

Yeah, tell him he's scum. thumbsup2.gif

And ask him about any recent 'legal issues'.... tongue.gif