• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WORLD OF NO RETURN!
4 4

73 posts in this topic

I agree with others. These are his books and he is free to do what he wants. 

Personally, I hope @Coverdeath  does not leave the boards. 

This is a place for people who love the hobby and he certainly does.

I know my posts about trimming upset him. I really was trying to be consultative and not critical. 

On 9/16/2024 at 9:05 PM, newshane said:

I guess I just haven't been paying attention. 

Does this guy purposefully destroy comics to get a rise out of people? 

No. People just choose to flip out over it.

But if he were trying, he's very successful.

On 9/17/2024 at 12:48 PM, wardevil0 said:

Honestly I think people are giving him too much benefit of the doubt.  His "love of the hobby" has passed from trying to fill long runs of single character titles (Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, but not Detective Comics, Action Comics, or Justice League of America), to only Silver Age and Golden Age midgrade, to Copper and Modern Age books he tore the covers off, to Silver Age without covers because they're cheaper, to now taking those coverless Silver Age and further cutting out any tears or creases and taping in white modern paper to make the corners square.  And then posting some of these cut-up comics for sale on the boards, including arguing about whether or not cutting pieces off constitutes trimming.  All of this happened within a span of about six months.

There is no demonstration of a love for any particular character, any favoritism for any storyline or era, or an actual goal to his collection.  People can do anything they want, but based on the posts this isn't generating any satisfaction or happiness for anyone.  He posted that he bought the Justice League of America 1 on March 9th, posted it for sale on March 30th with a corner piece removed, and posted it three times in the last 96 hours with numerous pieces removed.  He argued that he's "improving" books for his own personal satisfaction but here is a Silver Age key that was bought, mutilated, and returned to the market in a very short time frame.

The hobby needs all kinds of different interests and collectors to stay vibrant, but I don't see how this is good for anyone involved.

I promised to myself to not reply anymore in public but this post is the straw that broke the camel's back! 

You @wardevil0 have not the right do throw out some inexact informations about me and what i did! Your post is full of error! You cannot just read all my posts troughts these forums and try to stick the pieces together to find out exactly what I did, what is my collecting goal or anything else! 

This is just an unscrupulous attitude and now I m gonna inform you that even if the deal we agreed to make at the begin of the next year would have been really helpful for me to complete some of my runs, I will renounce because I been really offensed by this comment.

NO DEAL! (Considering your message I guess that anyway you didn't want to anymore either...)

It was moderns books so I still have the entire life to find them and I'm not gonna jump on good deals just because they are good deals if it means dealing with people who disrespect myself.

I guess you would be happy to keep your books since you know that I'm removing the covers anyway. :foryou:

sorry i hoped to do not have to post anymore and stop the drama but some of the things in this post were just too bad to accept it.

Jeremy

Here is a bref message resuming my goals and my preference that I sent to a boardie long time ago... and I posted similar messages trough the forums several time, so as said @wardevil0 I have no strategy, yeah...

I started the hobby 1 years ago with the goal of complete the whole runs of the 7 JLA original members from post crisis to flashpoint (1987-2011) 

Now im near to finish this first quest, with a collection of 1200 books, so i asked myself why not in the logical continuity of it start to collect the JLA title himself! So I firstly got the famous #1 and also few time after I got a full run from 100 to the end of the serie, now I'm slowly completing the run from 2 to 100.

I'm also now completing the 7 jla charachters but in their pre-crisis iteration which is an impossible goal to finish but it's what make it fun.

On 9/17/2024 at 8:32 AM, Coverdeath said:

Yes some definitely showed their real face here.  :shy:

Well personally, I think you would find more satisfaction with something that could be easily assembled and disassembled to the manner of your liking.  Once you have clipped a page you can no longer attach it.  I was serious when I mentioned, "Lego".  If you make a change that you do not like, you can always undo it many times without causing any damage that prevents you from altering it in the future. 

Think about what you did to the comic books.  You cannot really undo it to the level of perfection or returning them fully to the state that existed before you changed them.  Think of that corner you cut.  You cannot get a do over on that corner if you decide that the corner is not cut at exactly the same angle as the other corner.  All you can do is clip more and the further you go down that road, what are you truly left with?

Lego

On 9/17/2024 at 2:52 PM, Buzzetta said:

Well personally, I think you would find more satisfaction with something that could be easily assembled and disassembled to the manner of your liking.  Once you have clipped a page you can no longer attach it.  I was serious when I mentioned, "Lego".  If you make a change that you do not like, you can always undo it many times without causing any damage that prevents you from altering it in the future. 

Think about what you did to the comic books.  You cannot really undo it to the level of perfection or returning them fully to the state that existed before you changed them.  Think of that corner you cut.  You cannot get a do over on that corner if you decide that the corner is not cut at exactly the same angle as the other corner.  All you can do is clip more and the further you go down that road, what are you truly left with?

Lego

I have many hobbies, a work and all my days are totally fulfilled by activities, there is no times for new hobbies. I'm totally satisfied by every activities i choosed to do in my life, I have difficulties in every of them but i will certainly not give up after a defeat, to be honnest If I did I will already had renounced to life, all my problems of autism made me think to suicide for 2 years when I was a teenager, today I'm a man and I'm writing this message to you because I held on. So don't think that I'm gonna give up with comics because of a detail... 

Here is a brief interlude from all the drama.

Hey JLA number 1 is a great comic. I prefer it to Brave and the Bold 28,29 or 30. There is a recent facsimile available. Notice the bottom of the cover has more artwork than the original. And the title in the box has moved slightly. Is this a deliberate decision to differentiate between new and old to avoid people passing off reprints as originals? 

002.thumb.jpg.1bd101733187df7d51255a019e8b095b.jpg

jla1.thumb.webp.fa18ff9722cfa099e318d2285fa48ccc.webp

I guess I misinterpreted this picture:

image.thumb.jpeg.1ce1a3a63dbee62dba0f9cccaf2fb7af.jpeg

When considered with this thread:

Apparently the upper photo is just a template to make sure the corners are all cut uniformly, I apologize for this error.  Otherwise, the posting history is all there, except for the posts edited to be blank.  A Justice League of America 1 bought six months ago in 3.0/3.5 condition was intentionally and publicly damaged to be a 0.5/NG before being offered for sale at least three times.

People can buy and read and collect and slab whatever they want to.  Be involved and interested in whatever you like, but permanent damage has been done for temporary enjoyment.

On 9/17/2024 at 3:52 PM, themagicrobot said:

Hey JLA number 1 is a great comic. I prefer it to Brave and the Bold 28,29 or 30. There is a recent facsimile available. Notice the bottom of the cover has more artwork than the original. And the title in the box has moved slightly. Is this a deliberate decision to differentiate between new and old to avoid people passing off reprints as originals? 

Yes, for me it's also the JLA book, since the beginning it was my graail rather than B&B28, if you r looking for investment it's different but for the story I also think it's a better book.

I never pretted attention to where the title was on this reprint, it look really weird... 

On 9/17/2024 at 4:08 PM, wardevil0 said:

I guess I misinterpreted this picture:

image.thumb.jpeg.1ce1a3a63dbee62dba0f9cccaf2fb7af.jpeg

When considered with this thread:

Apparently the upper photo is just a template to make sure the corners are all cut uniformly, I apologize for this error.  Otherwise, the posting history is all there, except for the posts edited to be blank.  A Justice League of America 1 bought six months ago in 3.0/3.5 condition was intentionally and publicly damaged to be a 0.5/NG before being offered for sale at least three times.

People can buy and read and collect and slab whatever they want to.  Be involved and interested in whatever you like, but permanent damage has been done for temporary enjoyment.

This white corner have been cuted from a backing board with specific dimensions and have been used to trace line on the book before cutting the corners. 

Notice that some damage were involuntary caused by handling, the cover were not firmly attached and after several enjoyment to turn the pages of this book, it finally loose. 

After this my hope to get just a bit of my money back in reselling it and bought a coverless were lost. 

On 9/17/2024 at 9:52 AM, themagicrobot said:

I think the added art is adjustment to the modern narrow format(:sick:).  Otherwise, there would be empty space at the top and bottom.  Similar to watching an old show on a new 16:9 TV, you have black bars on the sides to preserve the ratio and avoid distorting the image.

On 9/17/2024 at 5:52 AM, Buzzetta said:

Lego

According to his standards, he can continue working on those books until they are perfect. He has determined he doesn't like trimmed corners, but perhaps if he trimmed them all around to the point where they are perfect rectangles, or possibly even perfect circles, it is his prerogative. I have never felt any ill intent in his post, and I'm willing to chalk up the JLA sale as a misunderstanding.  The OP processes things differently than others and I don't think he understands why some of you are so angry about this. Frankly, neither do I. 

Keep in mind that we are talking about DC books

On 9/17/2024 at 11:40 AM, shadroch said:

According to his standards, he can continue working on those books until they are perfect. He has determined he doesn't like trimmed corners, but perhaps if he trimmed them all around to the point where they are perfect rectangles, or possibly even perfect circles, it is his prerogative. I have never felt any ill intent in his post, and I'm willing to chalk up the JLA sale as a misunderstanding.  The OP processes things differently than others and I don't think he understands why some of you are so angry about this. Frankly, neither do I. 

Keep in mind that we are talking about DC books

I agree 100%. 

There was no illintention, even in the sales thread. 

As long time collectors, we might find the act of cutting books offensive, but he has a right to enjoy the hobby how he wants. 

I don't want to speak for the OP, but he's been open about having autism and OCD.  That can often mean he doesn't see things the same way as others.  That doesn't make his views wrong, just different. And it can be hard to feel different all the time. 

So if taking off covers or cutting books to look better, allow him to enjoy the hobby more, than more power to him. He's reading, enjoying and talking about comics. I'm not sure what else he would need to do to qualify as enjoying the hobby. 

@Coverdeath  if you ever stumble onto an Action Comics 1, please consult with me before removing or cutting the cover. 

Otherwise, read comics and enjoy!