• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill's "Don't Make Me Slab" them Thread - mostly original owner high grade silver, some slabs to show I'm serious X-). RECAP on Page 1 - Fantastic Four 6-39 posted
7 7

253 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2024 at 4:04 PM, gunsmokin said:

Take

I still remember plucking one of those off the rack like it was yesterday. I missed the Ditko run but cut my teeth on Romita's "sex in the city" period of free love and protest. DC was still doing their Boy Scout stuff, but the House of Ideas was on point. Stan's daughter JC was allegedly a teen/ young adult during this time, and Marvel grew up with the times. It was my Golden Age :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/20/2024 at 2:51 PM, Corvonie said:

Amazing Spider-Man #38 - 6.5 - $125

Really really nice copy, awesome color, faint subscription crease.  Someone school me if sub creases max out below a 6.5.

A very nice copy with a subscription crease usually grades 5.5. There are some examples that graded higher, but not often. 

On 9/20/2024 at 3:33 PM, jharvey said:

A very nice copy with a subscription crease usually grades 5.5. There are some examples that graded higher, but not often. 

I think it depends on how badly it breaks color but I’d say 4.0 for a severe to 6.5-7.0 to a mild one.

On 9/20/2024 at 4:33 PM, jharvey said:

Thiis is just me, but I'm harder on a sub copy where the inner crease is on the front, rather than the fold on the front. As an example, I once bought a slabbed ASM 4 Iin CGC 5.0, had Joey press it, and it came back a 7.5. The bend was on the front, the crease on the back. GOD BLESS ... 

On 9/20/2024 at 4:32 PM, jimjum12 said:

I still remember plucking one of those off the rack like it was yesterday. I missed the Ditko run but cut my teeth on Romita's "sex in the city" period of free love and protest. DC was still doing their Boy Scout stuff, but the House of Ideas was on point. Stan's daughter JC was allegedly a teen/ young adult during this time, and Marvel grew up with the times. It was my Golden Age :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

Exactly what I wrote when I PM'd for the books I wanted.  I pictured these on the spinner racks, albeit many with that middle "bend" that comes from pawing through them front-to-back in case there was another book you were looking for that was hiding.  Childhood memories don't recall them looking as nice as these though. 

On 9/20/2024 at 2:35 PM, CJ Design said:

My grading teacher, ETA Nick's cheat sheet says 6.0

Did you really just call out @etanick?!?!?

:canofworms:

I. So. Love. That.

He who has not granted the honor of his presence to these CGC Hallowed Halls in in many, many moons...come back to us Nick! Come back to the light!

On 9/20/2024 at 4:39 PM, ThePreacher said:

Did you really just call out @etanick?!?!?

:canofworms:

I. So. Love. That.

He who has not granted the honor of his presence to these CGC Hallowed Halls in in many, many moons...come back to us Nick! Come back to the light!

His grading tutorials, Dry snarky vids , and his cheat sheet did really help...enough so I don't get too embarrassed in the Grading Contests...plus I'm a raw dogger for the collection.