• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tojo on front cover action comics #86 (last war cover)?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Unclear.  DC cover portrayals of Hirohito have always shown him carrying a ceremonial sword known as a gunto (see, for example, Batman #18 and Superman #17) -- unless that portrayal is a head shot only (see Sensation #13 and World's Finest #9).  Heritage has listed/sold Action #86 on 23 different occasions, but the Japanese soldier is identified as Hirohito or Tojo only twice.  Overstreet has never broken it out as a Hirohito or Tojo cover (even though he's attached that identifier to many other issues from the WWII era).

A-86a.thumb.png.b8df136251eb4d849ec2df7648bb541b.png

A-86b.thumb.png.85f668ad13da44bca7d6aa6e47c00182.png

Edited by zzutak

During WWII, comic book representations of Japanese soldiers were generally caricatures (slanted eyes, large buck teeth, etc).  Most "for certain" identifications of Hirohito on comic covers are context-related, where he is shown alongside Hitler and Mussolini (or in some position of leadership/authority).  Hence, I don't think facial features (like Hitler's unique mustache) are useful -- although Hirohito and Tojo both had a mustache and wore glasses.  The uniform?  Yes (see Marvel Mystery #50).  But facial features alone?  No.

One man's opinion, naturally.  :foryou:

Edited by zzutak

You might be right  -- although I'd normally expect to see more medals and service ribbons on his uniform.  Burnley might have been in a rush that day.  lol

On 10/3/2024 at 7:15 PM, zzutak said:

Unclear.  DC cover portrayals of Hirohito have always shown him carrying a ceremonial sword known as a gunto (see, for example, Batman #18 and Superman #17) -- unless that portrayal is a head shot only (see Sensation #13 and World's Finest #9).  Heritage has listed/sold Action #86 on 23 different occasions, but the Japanese soldier is identified as Hirohito or Tojo only twice.  Overstreet has never broken it out as a Hirohito or Tojo cover (even though he's attached that identifier to many other issues from the WWII era).

A-86a.thumb.png.b8df136251eb4d849ec2df7648bb541b.png

A-86b.thumb.png.85f668ad13da44bca7d6aa6e47c00182.png

GCD identifies Batman 18 as Hirohito and Superman 17 as Tojo.

There are photos of Hirohito wearing a hat similar to the one shown on BM 18 so Hirohito makes sense to me.  Tojo makes sense to me on the SM17 cover - he's not wearing any medals or any other ceremonial garb save a sword which may or may not e ceremonial.

Keep in mind that these are comic book caricatures and in most cases you could probably make a case for it being one or the other.

Tojo was the military man and Hirohito was the Emperor.  

Edited by pemart1966

On 10/3/2024 at 6:39 PM, pemart1966 said:

Keep in mind that these are comic book caricatures and in most cases you could probably make a case for it being one or the other.  Tojo was the military man and Hirohito was the Emperor.  

I think this is correct (which is why Overstreet says it's Hirohito on the cover of Superman #17, while the GCD says it's Tojo).  (thumbsu

This is what I was alluding to above when I spoke of context.  It's the dress/uniform and role/positioning (rather than the facial features) that distinguishes Emperor Hirohito from Prime Minister Tojo (1941-44) and from "ordinary" Japanese soldiers.  Unfortunately, Burnley was not nearly as detailed with his caricatures as Schomburg.  lol

MMC-41.thumb.jpg.d3b300da5ab39e0ff531e2b922dcc924.jpg MMC-41b.thumb.jpg.5eecf85d8c6e893c9d9640d6f551e6bd.jpg

MMC-50.thumb.jpg.3e6d5575725a5b081cc6214559d9dfe6.jpg MMC-50b.jpg.ef4e01017af4092500d9650fbd36b2ac.jpg

Edited by zzutak