• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction and Restored GA comics

238 posts in this topic

but let's get one fact straight; the collection was purchased for NO WHERE NEAR 1/4 guide in the late seventies.

these books were purchased for 9cents each!!!

You forgot to say "according to lore and legend". tongue.gif

What I am saying is that I think resto Mega Keys such as Action 1, Detective Comics 1 or Marvel Comics 1 are pretty much on the same playing field as a respective unresto depending on upon the level of resto. Very Slight pro resto on one of those keys vs unresto should be in the same price range. But they don't seem to go that way. Which is a shame. Eventually, much of the GA books are going to end up resto.

In full agreement with you that most of the GA mega keys will be far too expensive for virtually all collectors. Also agree with you that this high price barrier for these books tends to make the ones with slight pro resto more acceptable to collectors relative to say restored common GA or any SA books.

Although this higher acceptance does translate into a higher percentage to market price, restored books no matter how slight, will never sell for 100% or even 90% of the price of true unrestored books. This is only common sense.

In the long long LONG run aren't all comics eventually going to be restored? They're made of paper after all. They just keep getting older too.

I suspect if one is going to pass their collection on to future generations eventually ALL of their books will have to have some sort of preservation, repair and/or restoration performed on them to keep them in great condition. Might as well get in on the ground floor... smile.gif

In the long long LONG run aren't all comics eventually going to be restored? They're made of paper after all. They just keep getting older too.

I suspect if one is going to pass their collection on to future generations eventually ALL of their books will have to have some sort of preservation, repair and/or restoration performed on them to keep them in great condition. Might as well get in on the ground floor... smile.gif

They may eventually need to be deacidified (sprayed with an alkaline spray), but I personally don't consider that restoration any more than I consider it restoration when you slip microchamber paper into a book to absorb the acids and some of the chemicals in the microchamber paper migrate into the comic book paper.

I know what you're saying, but I think that what will happen is that everything will eventually be slabbed, and once slabbed, it will never again see fresh air (or restoration). Given the stigma attached to the purple label, anything currently holding a blue label will probably stay blue, and everything purple will stay purple. I have some mega keys with purple labels that I'd love to turn blue, but like I say, ain't going to happen.

The new label is discussed on the restoration board. Link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...0&fpart=all

CGC this morning indicated that the new labels will come online in the next few weeks!

Wonder if there will be an uptick of eBay sales of the new 'blue' labels in 2006 in an effort to dupe those not quite as attuned to these issues as those on this board.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the masses. Too much money + not enough knowledge = consumer gets screwed. I am a believer that eventually resto needs to valued up or natural books valued down. But doubt, I will ever see it happen.

.That fine 6.0 Detective 27 with slight resto in Heritages next auction will be a very good example.If that book was a totally unrestored 6.0 it would probably go for 145k to 160k

Hi men.

Ive been away on vacation so i was not able to explain.Yes indeed Detective Comics #27 in fine[unrestored] has a book value is 95k ,but the Overstreet price does not reflect the RARITY of a totally unrestored Detective #27 if fine 6.0.This book would be in the top 5 copies[of all copies] not just cgc.With only 5 copies graded over 6.0 unrestored that would list the book as [rare] ajusted for condition.

This is no secret to the market and would thus reflect a price well over book value.

I did not base my restored price on the unrestored book value.I based the restored price on the premium an unrestored 6.0 would get and worked from that figure as i feel Overstreets unrestored price is well off reality that the market would bare.Taking a look at the book carefully at Heritages site however i do feel that the book will come in at 35 to 55k.I do believe i overshot the estimate the first time around without taking a careful look at the book.I dont think that [slight resto disignation is going to save the book]It has spine splitS sealed and the cover and centerfold re-enforced]That really sounds like more than [slight].. One mans slight is another mans moderate.The price will dictate who is correct.

Happy New Year

Well, now we know it sold for $61,065 with bidder's premium.

Link: http://comics.heritagegalleries.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=819&Lot_No=2140.

I note that when the reserve was set a few days ago, it was something like $53K, so the bids stayed pretty close.

Still, It did come in at the top (or slightly above) your estimate, A1K.

So what does this tell us?

Wonder if there will be an uptick of eBay sales of the new 'blue' labels in 2006 in an effort to dupe those not quite as attuned to these issues as those on this board.

I will bet that there is an uptick in scam auctions of restored books now that sellers won't have to go through as much effort make the label look unrestored.

Looks like the GA books with moderate and extensive restoration didn't fare that well in the Heritage auction. I was really stunned that no one picked up the Sensation #1 that was in Apparent NM condition with only slight restoration and asking price was a ridiculously low $12,000!!!

There's really no love for Wonder Woman. I have read on these boards, several threads relating to Sensation Comics and that they don't sell for a decent price. Personally, 12K is pretty hard to stomach for a resto, no matter how you slice it.