• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was the master of the bizarre/macabre in the GA/PCH eras? Let's go for a walk on the dark side ...
2 2

48 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2024 at 7:22 PM, C. Spaulding said:

Bailey had a unique style when drawing faces that really stood out (at least to me). The eyes, the blank stares… Even on a romance cover he couldn’t keep the creepiness from sneaking in.

IMG_1257.jpeg.01df443c07d2e202932c5b42d206b308.jpeg

IMG_0235.thumb.jpeg.ae6614204fc8268079ebc1a2b8a99f48.jpeg

Actually, I had also noticed that about his off-axis stares.  What is this guy focusing on?  Also somewhat evident in the WM below, but more understandable because this guy is clearly in his own world.

For the benefit of those that didn't follow the links in the initial post, here's what started this all (props to @Jayman who provided the creepy juxtaposition)

image.thumb.jpeg.89778b09355826747e2400a6145d3cdf.jpeg

On 10/15/2024 at 7:34 PM, fifties said:

I'm not sure that I could ascribe but one "master" of the bizarre/macabre genre in PCH.  A number of them excelled as talented artists in that field, plus some who did occasional horror covers.  Here's a few from my meager collection;

Fair point.  No disrespect to many artists who may not have frequented the genre, but given the sheer number of examples Bailey and Wolverton left, I think them to be the front-runners, with an edge to Bailey in my opinion.

I'm a bit surprised that Disbrow, Fleishman or Hollinsgsworth have not yet been mentioned, but I personally don't see them as being of the same caliber as Bailey and Wolverton.

On 10/16/2024 at 12:40 AM, kent allard said:

I've seen this cover dozens of times but only just noticed the zombie (?) is actually tied up.  I always thought *it* was threatening the girl.  Now it seems like *she* was whipping it!

Now that's cool.  Need to check this one out :headbang:

IMG_4472.gif

On 10/15/2024 at 9:40 PM, kent allard said:

I've seen this cover dozens of times but only just noticed the zombie (?) is actually tied up.  I always thought *it* was threatening the girl.  Now it seems like *she* was whipping it!

Now that's cool.  Need to check this one out :headbang:

Not too bad, but the cover is a mash up of the first story and the text story so they don't really relate.

On 10/15/2024 at 8:12 PM, kent allard said:

given the sheer number of examples Bailey and Wolverton left, I think them to be the front-runners, with an edge to Bailey in my opinion.

If we are talking just covers, neither of them did all that many, and in fact AFA stories, not that many either.  It's just that what they DID do, was certainly superior.

On 10/15/2024 at 11:11 PM, fifties said:

If we are talking just covers, neither of them did all that many, and in fact AFA stories, not that many either.  It's just that what they DID do, was certainly superior.

I did NOT want to limit this to covers!  In particular, Bailey's More Fun Spectre stories were already mentioned by @Robot Man, though no example panels were provided (:baiting:)

It's relatively easy to scan through a bunch of covers, but I'm hoping that by tapping the collective knowledge of the experts here, hidden goodness bizarreness that would otherwise be very difficult for an individual to ferret out on their own will be revealed.

On 10/15/2024 at 9:52 PM, C. Spaulding said:

Did Biro do an ironing cover as well or were you thinking of this one by Dan Barry? Either way it gave me a reason to post this :devil:

IMG_0527.thumb.jpeg.b30509d0a2d49301c83f1896662c2cd1.jpeg

Has it been pressed lol

Edited by comicjack

On 10/16/2024 at 10:48 AM, zzutak said:

Neither bizarre nor macabre, but a very attractive Russ Heath classic!  :luhv:

Spell-20.thumb.jpg.4d79b62a57a32ee247b0e684f5961b59.jpg

It is pretty bizarre that you haven't offered that book to me. Macabre even.