• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do I bother buy raw books?

65 posts in this topic

you simply need to adjust your expectations downward. if you become a VF/VF+ collector, then some of those "NM"s will come back within your desired range.

if you're paying slab prices for raw books, then you are paying far too much.

I would love to know whether the books came from your personal collection or you bought them raw at those grades recently.

Obviously the latter, or the thread would be "Why Did I Bother to Buy Raw Books 10 Years Ago!!"

So I just got 2 books back from CGC that I purchased raw and they did'nt get the grade I thought I was paying for. Surprise, surprise! tonofbricks.gif

You need to stop and take a look at the whole situation. CGC grades are not perfect. Heck, we all know they make mistakes. They over grade and they under grade. If you buy a book and you want to send it in and get it slabbed you may want to buy a ready made CGC slabbed book. We have all had that 9.4 that came back a VF+ 8.5. We review the notes and still doubt the grade, but that's the way it is. Slabbing a book does not mean a profit or a guaranteed grade. I don't know you, you may be a great grader and CGC made an error. Or you may be a person that misses the critical things that CGC hates, stress, light bends, etc... Learn to grade like them or buy graded books. It's less brain damage.

I was looking at a book on ebay a few days ago. NM/MT was the given grade. Based on the scan the book is a nice Fine. I emailed the seller and he changed the grade to VF. NO way that book is a VF but some guy is going to buy it, send it in and get a surprise. Who do you blame? The seller (can't grade worth a hoot). The bidder ( has vision issues, the poor fool), or CGC for not agreeing with both of them?

Basically, the only sure thing is there are no sure things.

I only buy raw from forum members, Storms, Sulipa, and Superworld(to a smaller degree). They never let me down. Hey even if you buy a cgc book it can be a [embarrassing lack of self control] shoot. 9.2's that look like the 8.5 you just got back from them. 9.4's with 10 spine stresses. 8.5's that you coulda swore were 9.4's when they left your hands.

Basically, what nochips said.

I only buy raw from forum members, Storms, Sulipa, and Superworld(to a smaller degree). They never let me down. Hey even if you buy a cgc book it can be a [embarrassing lack of self control] shoot. 9.2's that look like the 8.5 you just got back from them. 9.4's with 10 spine stresses. 8.5's that you coulda swore were 9.4's when they left your hands.

I'm trolling you Mr nockinsane.gif

BTW, i agree with nochips, but i do not think CGC are ALL over the place, although they are not perfect. The toughest is trying to understand how CGC grades (which seems to have become the "industry standard"). Some people will never agree with CGC. For example, my LCS owner is extremely strict. Certain things that he only allows in 4.0 may get a 6.0 from CGC etc.

I agree with nochips also.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The seller thought it was a certain grade. I assume you agreed. CGC thought otherwise. They gave you their opinion of what the grades were. I'm sure if you throw the books up in the grading forum you'll get some differing opinions as well. That's why comic book grading is an art instead of a science. If you buy a book advertised at a certain grade and then expect that exact grade from CGC then you'll be in for a rude awakening a lot of the time. CGC is not the end all be all when it comes to the grade of your books. Neither are you or the person who sold them to you. However, if we're talking about a grading discrepancy of over 1.5 then maybe you and said seller need to brush up a bit on your grading skills and you need to be a bit more critical. As I mentioned, CGC is not the final word. However, they are generally accepted as a pretty strong barometer of a books' grade. Go to a show and take a look at several slabbed books to get an idea. And before you send in a book expecting a certain grade do a full outside/inside check. Look at the front and back cover at several different angles to check for impressions, stress, dirt, soft corners, ect, ect. Check every single inside page for bends or chips. You may miss them but CGC probably won't.

Most people that send in books for the first time to CGC are usually in for a rude awakening. Like Kramerica said...look for dents and impressions on the front and back covers in different lightings. A lot of people dont look for stress marks on the back of the book due to most of the covers being white. CGC does.If their is any color missing from the cover, even if very tiny, you can bet on a lower grade. They are extremely tough on potential 9.6s and 9.8s. I only collect copper books in these grades so im used to knowing what they are looking for.

"The seller thought it was a certain grade. I assume you agreed. CGC thought otherwise."

Good point. If you bought the raw books and didn't have a problem with the grades, the fact that CGC came back with a different opinion isn't really the seller's fault, except perhaps in the case of a PLOD or a hidden defect. And, in all honesty, CGC does seem to be all over the place. 3-4 years ago they were really harsh on 4.0 - 8.5 silver age, nowadays, maybe not as much.

A: Hope springs eternal.

So do dancing bananas!

yay.gif

1041434-zionist-animated-banana.gif

makepoint.gif

Merry Christmas, norrin! hi.gif

Happy Hanukkah, Feulman!

"Happy Hanakuah???...... confused.gif..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm NOT Swedish, you idgit !!! sumo.gif893naughty-thumb.gifscrewy.gif