• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Court Copy of Action #1

36 posts in this topic

to me, that actually makes that particular issue more desirable. The stamps are aesthetically well-placed and having the historical significance of that particular copy staring you in the face like that is neat (to me.) Other than the stamps, though, what a nice copy! They don't mention where it resides now. I'd be suprememly curious to see how well it would do on the open market.

This issue, were it available today, would be more important to the hobby than the "pay copy" of Marvel Mystery1. It started an industry, whereas Jaquet's pay copy merely signalled the transition from pulps to comics for Timely/Atlas/Marvel.

no doubt. The will eisner connection certainly can't hurt either. The story here is so much richer than that behind the pay copy (which isn't much of a story at all.)

Although, it should be pointed out, the pay copy was extremely useful for research purposes...

HEY! I imagine I know where that last statement is leading. Absolutely, Positively, 100% NOT guilty!!! laugh.gif It IS very odd how the stamp, the ink only took on the white areas and NOT the red lettering. The white background and the stamp actually appear to be in the background, already there before the red lettering went on. Merely an observation.

the pay copy of Marvel is neat but not worth what Parrino paid for it. Put in an auction with no minimum and watch it sell for $150 tops. Hype, Hype, Hype, Hype. Now a high grade October copy of Marvel #1. Now that would be impressive. In the world of rare book collecting, the 1st printing is everything and a 2nd printing falls to a far second. Why hasn't anyone realized that the October Marvel #1 is the first printing and the November copy is the second printing. In my opinion, an October copy of Marvel is worth twice as much as a Novermber. To make a further point about how rare the October (1st printing) is, every pedigree Marvel #1 is a November copy. That includes the Denver copy, the Mile High copy, The Allentown copy, the Windy City copy, the Pay copy, the Larson copy etc. People paying tons of money for November copies are fooling themselves.

Comics are the same way with first and second prints. I just think most people don't consider one a true 1st printing and the other a true 2nd, so the second print stigma doesn't apply.

Please give me one reason why the Oct copy is not considered a true first print and the Nov copy is not considered a true second. It fits all the criteria. The 2 printings were done at 2 seperate times (the 1st printing sold out on the newsstand so they went back to press with a second printing), the difference between the 2 printings are easily identifiable. Is it that all the people with November copies want to protect their investment?

Don't ask me. I'm just reporting the way people see it. In terms of "official" sources Overstreet has never listed one as a 1st and the other as a 2nd. And, in terms of "unnofficial" sources, you're (literally) the first person I've ever heard make this argument.

Have you ever seen any real evidence that the November copy is a 2nd print?

Heritage can print whatever they want in their catalog - it doesn't make it true (like last catalog when they printed there were no other high grade pedigree More Fun #53's and next auction there's another pedigree in 9.6 - what a surprise).

The Paycopy shows that the cover art was paid for on July 31st (most likely that's when it was turned in). Meaning the book got to press probably around late August and distributed in early September (the Mile High copy shows an arrival date of 9-15). The most likely story is that the date was changed mid-press run to insure that the book stayed on the stands longer. No way they print a book to have a shelf life of a couple of weeks. The fact that #2 has a cover date of December (and not November) would lend credence to this statement. Also I believe most October copies originate in the NE area of the country - first off the press and to the closest newstands. By the time the date was changed to November they were packing the trucks for the shipments out west (where most of the pedigree collections originate).

If it was truly a nationwide sellout with a second printing (unheard of - even for a book that was on the stands for months like Superman #1), then surely the Church copy at least would have been an October one - being that he had one of every comic pulled for him as soon as they arrived.

There used to be some rubbed ink in the red lettering, but I believe most of it

was removed when the cover was cleaned. I haven't seen the copy in a long time and don't remember if there were still traces on it or not.

smart money is on your last choice. But it is very likely that the Mile High copy won't grade as nice as the PayCopy, so whoever it is can console him/herself with the fact that at least they probably have the nicest one.

And just think you could have bought both that Marvel #1 and the Motion Picture Funnies #1 Paycopies as a set for 60k just a scant few years ago

(not to mention the Silver Streak #1 - now that was a nice book).

Meth,

During my conversation with Jay, he did not specify who he sold the book to. However, he did point out that many of his big sales were going to non-traditional outlets (ie. his coin customers). The FF#1 CGC NM 9.4 OW-W sold for $111K to one of his coin customers at the June auction. Given his clientele, we should all be happy about the new blood (many with major $$$), he is bringing into the hobby.

He also said that he does not collect anything himself as that is a conflict of interest. That goes for coins and comics.

Ted