• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man To Be Reprinted in Sunday Comics

62 posts in this topic

The 1960's batman show was very popular and filled with recognizable guest villians from hollywood, in spite of people cringing in disbelief nowadays at all the lame dialogue.

Jesus, the entire show was a comedy/satire, and it was funny then and still is today. Totally tongue-in-cheek mayhem that really poked fun at the pure stupidity of the comic character genre.

Complaining about Batman's cringe-factor for comics book geeks is like a cop watching Police Squad and harping that Drebin failed to follow procedures. foreheadslap.gif

I'm not sure but I think you are agreeing with me in some manner. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nope, not at all.

The ONLY reason to "cringe in disbelief at the lame dialogue" is if you think (or want to believe) it's actually being played straight. Obviously it's not, and the TV show has a definite kitsch appeal, and is quite enjoyable even today.

The only people I've ever met that hate the 1960's Batman show, and for that same reason, are comic book fanboys who dislike seeing the genre being satirized, and somehow feel that the show is almost sacreligious against their chosen comic book religion. screwy.gif

But the general public loved it in the 60's, and the reruns still bring them in today.

I personally liked the show, and the movie with the Bat-Shark-Repellant. My statement was explaining to UCLA that that show and 2 others were very popular, despite what some "hard core" batman fans may say.

It is those "fanboys" as you like to call them that do the cringing, not me.

Take another look at the quote, it's inside at the center of these quotes.

I mention it was popular....in spite of PEOPLE (note that I didn't include myself in the description of ones that cringe.

I like the show, have met Adam West, and have his autograph.

No cringing here. confused-smiley-013.gif

Part II, why in the world would I think for a minute that the show was "played straight"? BIFF POW-Same Bat-Time.... screwy.gif..Of course there was more Camp stuff there than just the dialogue.

Once again, I was explaining it to Pete (who seemed incredulous that Smallville wasn't higher in my ranking)

Your rambling makes it sound like I only think the dialogue is cringe worthy by fanboys.

Again, where do I say that is THE ONLY..... Christo_pull_hair.gif

Although it's nice to know that you read every word, I just wish you wouldn't read too much into it thats not there. I suppose I better use this one poke2.gif

It's amusing that you go from ridiculing "comic geeks" for not liking the campy Batman TV show because it didn't present the character correctly to angrily complaining about newspapers not presenting the Spider-Man character correctly.

You must be drrinking heavily to try and make a connection between these two comments. Or are you saying that TV Land is going to start cutting the first 20 minutes of every Batman episode? screwy.gif

I bet you're still mad about my "geeks love to blab about beer" comment. 27_laughing.gif Go to bed, wake up in the morning and all will be clear.

It's amusing that you go from ridiculing "comic geeks" for not liking the campy Batman TV show because it didn't present the character correctly to angrily complaining about newspapers not presenting the Spider-Man character correctly.

You must be drrinking heavily to try and make a connection between these two comments. Or are you saying that TV Land is going to start cutting the first 20 minutes of every Batman episode? screwy.gif

I bet you're still mad about my "geeks love to blab about beer" comment. 27_laughing.gif Go to bed, wake up in the morning and all will be clear.

I guess it wasn't intentional. Sad. 27_laughing.gif

I know, I know, I'm crazy for wanting one of the seminal comic book characters to be properly introduced to the next generation of young readers. What a zany thought.

Nah...I actually agree with you on this. Why would it be so hard to just start the strip with Amazing Fantasy #15 and do it right? confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess it wasn't intentional. Sad. 27_laughing.gif

Put down the imported beer Jethro!

If the newspapers and Marvel were reprinting Peter Porker, Spider-Ham as a way to get readers interested in Spider-man, then you'd have a point. Both are satires and both could be viewed as sacreligious by the fanboy population.

But that's not what's happening here, and I'm just ticked they're deleting the origin issue from the newspaper schedule, the same way I'd be angry if Marvel just arbitrarily deleted AF 15 from their Spider-man Essentials or Masterworks editions.

It's the exact same thing, just different formats.

But of course, you'd be all for Marvel doing that, right? Right?

I really couldn't care less what a newspaper does with Spider-Man. I just thought it was funny that you called one group of comic enthusiasts fanboy geeks for not liking the Batman TV show (which, like the 60s comics, isn't faithful to Bob Kane's original vision) and in the same breath get riled up about a newpaper not presenting Spider-Man correctly by leaving out his origin. Split hairs all you want, but it's just another variation on the theme of "what you think is important is stupid, what I think is important isn't". On a side note, I don't get why you harp on the geekiness of comic fans all the time. You spend more time here, get more riled up about stupid Hollywood movies, and have more problems with the direction comics are taking than just about anyone. Yet you persist in harboring under the delusion that you aren't "one of us". screwy.gif Totally bizarre.

Answer the question Jethro!

Would you be happy to receive a Spider-man Masterworks or Essential edition that totally deleted AF 15 and started instead with ASM 1?

Do you feel this is a good thing?

Conveniently sidestepping everything I wrote and missing the entire point of my post I see. thumbsup2.gif

As for the ASM thing, I don't particularly care one way or the other, as I think that character is ridiculously overrated and somewhat boring. I would obviously want to see the orgin sequence if I was a fan though.

My post had nothing to do with my feelings on the issue, it was about your ridiculous posts, dissing comic fans on one hand and partaking in the same behavior in virtually the same breath.

Jezzus frickin' Christ...can't we at least agree that this is a great attempt to get SA comics, or any comics for that matter, in the hands of kids? I'm almost sorry I started this thread... foreheadslap.gif

Jim

My bad. He seems to bring out the worst in people. foreheadslap.gif

My bad. He seems to bring out the worst in people. foreheadslap.gif

Don't blame me for your poor behavior. We're all adults here. 893naughty-thumb.gif

It doesn't matter if they start with AF #15, ASM #1 or ASM #125...this is an opportunity to get comics, very good comics, in kids hands. You nor I started with AF #15, but still got hooked on the Spidey stories regardless. This is a great opprotunity to get new readers involved with comics. To argue semantics is a totally "geek" experience and something that hurts this hobby...

Jim

Would you be happy to receive a Spider-man Masterworks or Essential edition that totally deleted AF 15 and started instead with ASM 1?

They could leave Spider-Man completely out of the Marvel universe for all I care. Only a comic geek would give a f&$k about his origin issue being reprinted in the Sunday paper.

[To argue semantics is a totally "geek" experience and something that hurts this hobby...

Hey, we disagree on this point, and if I were to buy a Marvel Masterworks ASM edition that deleted AF 15, and started with ASM #1, I would not be pleased. I don't see this as "geek", and I'd feel the same way if my favorite TV show in syndication never reran the first episode, or if the Complete New Yorker DVD didn't include the very first edition.

Your example would be spot-on, IF they were starting with ASM 125 or something.

Your example would be spot-on, IF they were starting with ASM 125 or something.

Wouldn't matter either way regardless. Again we didn't start with AF #15. Why should others as well? With #1 they have a recap...and to be honest, those that could read these comics have seen the origin from the movie....it doesn't matter. Not one ioda. The fact these comics are being distributed free of charge is the point and something that should be applauded...not debated on our perception of what they should see. That's the typical "geek" way perpetuated throughout the genreral public.

Stop and embrace a good thing and a potentially good development for this hobby...

Jim

October,

I thought you were leaving these boards because of krap like this? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why engage in a pointless debate that can have no satisfactory outcome? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why not just engage in discussions that are of some benefit? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just food for thought. hi.gif

October,

I thought you were leaving these boards because of krap like this? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why engage in a pointless debate that can have no satisfactory outcome? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why not just engage in discussions that are of some benefit? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just food for thought. hi.gif

I was going to, but I bored and home sick right now. Point taken though.

That's the typical "geek" way perpetuated throughout the genreral public.

So anyone who disagrees with a corporate decison is a geek? screwy.gif

I know what you're *trying* to say, but all you're doing is posting the EXACT same insult multiple times.

Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek, Stop being a geek