• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

History Channel To Push Comics

25 posts in this topic

Wow, this really made my day.

It's nice to see things happening to promote the hobby. This is a huge step. Be great if they could maybe do something like this every 6 months or so. I know I'll be watching it. Thanks OldGuy for the heads-up. Probably would have missed it without the news. smile.gif

This is great news, and I hope for a highly entertaining and informative program.

On the flip side, I can't understand why everyone is getting all riled up about "promoting our hobby". The historical and cultural importance of this type of programming far outwieghs the simplistic "mo money" beat of these bozos.

Joe, please don't equate " promoting our hobby" with a "mo money" hidden meaning. If that Hulk 181 is going to quide at $19,000.00 in 20 years, I am going to need all the help I'm going to get.....and I am going to need a few of these shows that show the "historical and cultural importance" of "our hobby" to make that prediction a reality.

Now, if you want to equate that to "mo money" then fine, cause.....

hmmmmm.....

I guess you're right. ooo.gif

Nevermind. cool.gif

Seriously Joe, it really just comes down to the fact that I don't think anyone would want to spend thousands of dollars to collect a collection of comics, only to find out they are worth less than cover price - due to lack of interest.

I'll never sell my collection, so the "money" aspect of it has no meaning whatsover as far as that goes. I admit, though, it's nice to see the prices go up. But, I am a realist and like stocks or bonds, I know it's only a price written on a piece of paper until you sell. That's it.

Listen, can you get that fiddle guy to play anything else, been listening to that tune for almost a month ( I think ) and it's driving me crazy. crazy.gif

On the flip side, I can't understand why everyone is getting all riled up about "promoting our hobby". The historical and cultural importance of this type of programming far outwieghs the simplistic "mo money" beat of these bozos.

Please explain WTH this is supposed to mean, particularly the bolded text????

Whose riled on this thread? The History Channel always puts together an informative program. On the shows I've watched, they always seem to point out very interesting aspects of the topic and info-tidbits that I never heard about. I'm often riveted by the program and don't wander like I do when watching most everything else. That's the expectation I have and what it sounds like everyne else is excited about. The fact that the hobby is getting some (assumed) positive exposure is nice, but we know the hobby needs more help than a History Channel special.

You know...its OK to just make a positive or supportive observation once in awhile that's not followed up by something negative or insulting. Your last comment is just unwarranted BS V. Not everything people say or do is connected with money.

I see... I thought you were suggesting the few people who commented in this thread were the "bozos" you were referring to when they did not even mention money. Its hard to tell sometimes who your slammin'. wink.gif

BTW... the press release seems to mention the benefit to shop owners, etc. but the following comments by the "real folk" sound genuinely interested in the content.

Also, we know for comics to survive, we need to find ways to promote the hobby and generate new readers... even if it seems fruitless. You've seemed to support that need in the past. How can this be anything but a positive step even if some are talking about the financial benefit. It seems like it would have to go hand in hand... comic shops making money off selling newer books to new readers for a promotion to really work? I'm glad to see some effort is being made even if the History Channel is uncharacteristically promoting the topic of the show outside the actual program.

Sometimes it's hard not to take a mercenary view of any significant development in your hobby/passion of choice. Many's the time I've considered approaching Forbes, Fortune, the Wall St. Journal and others about an article on the comic book collecting phenomenon. (I'm in PR and have plenty of contacts in the editorial depts. of all these mags; not saying they'd assign such an article to me, but I'm confident I could get them to write about the subject.)

In addition to the daunting concept of gathering enough data to make the article timely and reasonably comprehensive (if I were given the go-ahead), I've also hesitated because it occured to me that comic books are already big business, and such an article in such a publication would only inch it further in that direction.

But from the standpoint of a collector/reader of comics for nearly 30 years, I'm very much looking forward to this documentary. Unlike a doc on the Civil War, I may actually be able to spot some oversights or incorrect info in this one smile.gif

Garthgantu

Just a reminder to tune in on June 23rd to the History Channel. Two weeks from today. If you're anything like me you'll want to set your VCR to record it right now. makepoint.gif

893whatthe.gif

I visited my local comic shop over the weekend and they actually have some kinda' brochure advertising this event. A small 5 1/2 x 7 8 page booklet. This is gonna' be big.

Get your copy today: 1st appearance of "History Dude" . grin.gif

And it's free. shocked.gif

Somebody, stop me.

Ok, with the lightning strike this weekend that took out my satellite receiver I won't be able to watch this. My new receiver wont be in until next week. Can anyone record this for me and send me the tape? I will of course pay for the tape and any shipping and handling expenses.

Hey OG... I think you can buy the tape directly from the History Channel... they usually have a short spot at the end (or used to) offering to sell the program you just watched for $29.99 or $39.99. I can't remember. They also show these things more than once. I bet there will be an encore presentation within a week or so.

I bought one of the tapes years ago because they were doing a special on the history of strongmen, body building, etc. It turns out one of my relatives (distant cousin)... Simon Brightbardt was at one time, one of the world's notable strongmen...doing some wacky stunts. I think he pulled trains, held up heavy items, stuff like that. I always heard stories about the guy from my Dad and the rest of the family as a kid. I was jokingly compared to him when pretending to be comicbook heroes while wrestling my Dad, etc. I was watching the show and sure enough they had some very short b/w footage of him with a small merry go round on top off him with people on it? or something like that. It's been awhile. So I bought the tape and gave it to my Dad... who was ecstatic to have something tangible (and proof). It was proudly shown at family get togethers for awhile.

I also loved...

the history of shark attacks. They started in the US in NJ. The first guy killed was Charles Van Zandt if memory serves off the Jersey Shore. Then, amazingly, the attacks continued in a fresh water creek.. Manahawkin? I think??? A kid was killed while swimming in a fresh water (maybe semi-brackish?) watering hole... and one adult too while trying to rescue him. I think Speilberg must have researched this account with "Jaws".

...the history of Chinese-American food was great as well. It all started in the old west as gold-miners, smelling the Chinese "Chop Suey" (basically leftover stew), gravitated towards it and created an instant market for Chinese food. The Chinese quickly ran with it opening outlets to sell food and created more dishes to satisfy the rapidly growing demand. Most Chinese food on our menus was specifically devleoped here, for us, and is really Chinese-American cuisine. Very little of it was authentic Chinese food. I think General Tsao's chicken is a real recipe though.

Another great episode was the few on... McDonalds, fast food in general, Kentucky Fried Chicken.