• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12-cent War Comics

131 posts in this topic

Here are some of my favorite DC war books. Fantastic stories.

ssws139.jpg

October,

I love that run. I've had a really hard time finding those issues in high grade... most of mine are weak VFs.

Those are beauties. I love the colous on SSWS #141.

Shep

October,

I love that run. I've had a really hard time finding those issues in high grade... most of mine are weak VFs.

Shep

Yeah, they are pretty tough above 8.5, so I am going for 7.5-8.5 copies mostly. The 139 and 140 were really cheap. I only paid $12 each for them off eBay a few months ago. I love Enemy Ace and I really want to track down OOAW 151 and Showcase 58 in nice shape.

On another note, do you have the war issue with the Mongol raider on the cover? I think it's a G.I. Combat and the cover is all red and orange. I had an opportunity to buy a really nice copy awhile back and passed....I am still kicking myself.

gic95.jpg

Great idea, and fantastic covers!

I have to say one thing that bugs me about many of the tank covers is that they've taught generations of American boys that the way to take out a tank is by going for a full frontal shot with their little bazooka/self-propelled rocket launcher. foreheadslap.gif

They might as well be throwing chiclets at the tanks! Christo_pull_hair.gif

I have to say one thing that bugs me about many of the tank covers is that they've taught generations of American boys that the way to take out a tank is by going for a full frontal shot with their little bazooka/self-propelled rocket launcher. foreheadslap.gif

It's actually quite depressing reading WWII history of American vs Germans. The Germans not only had better amored tanks, which neither our tanks nor our bazookas could dent (straight on, that is), but their Panzerfaust could take out our Shermans. The main advantage of the Shermans was that they were mechanically reliable, speedy, and we could turn them out by the bucketful. This was of little comfort if you were trying to get past a well-positioned Tiger or Panther.

It's actually quite depressing reading WWII history of American vs Germans. The Germans not only had better amored tanks, which neither our tanks nor our bazookas could dent (straight on, that is), but their Panzerfaust could take out our Shermans. The main advantage of the Shermans was that they were mechanically reliable, speedy, and we could turn them out by the bucketful. This was of little comfort if you were trying to get past a well-positioned Tiger or Panther.

The British and Canadian soldiers during WW2 used to call the Sherman tank a Ronson, after the popular lighter the soldiers used. The advertising slogan for the Ronson was 'One flick and it's lit.'

Similarly, the Germans used to call the Sherman the 'Tommy cooker'.

The only thing the Sherman had going for it? The benefit of mass production - the allies sould field more of them than the Germans could handle.

Shep

October,

Shep

Yeah, they are pretty tough above 8.5, so I am going for 7.5-8.5 copies mostly. The 139 and 140 were really cheap. I only paid $12 each for them off eBay a few months ago. I love Enemy Ace and I really want to track down OOAW 151 and Showcase 58 in nice shape.

On another note, do you have the war issue with the Mongol raider on the cover? I think it's a G.I. Combat and the cover is all red and orange. I had an opportunity to buy a really nice copy awhile back and passed....I am still kicking myself.

That would be GI Combat #131.... I got a beauty off ebay several years ago (from a collection called 'The Buckeye Collection'... anyone ever heard of it?) It's a killer.... I'll try and post some more later.

And to all you guys posting covers.... awesome!! I'm glad this thread has some appeal.

As I said, I'll try and post some more covers later.

Shep

The British and Canadian soldiers during WW2 used to call the Sherman tank a Ronson, after the popular lighter the soldiers used. The advertising slogan for the Ronson was 'One flick and it's lit.'

Similarly, the Germans used to call the Sherman the 'Tommy cooker'.

The only thing the Sherman had going for it? The benefit of mass production - the allies sould field more of them than the Germans could handle.

Shep

I`ll share a little secret that`s actually well known amongst the armor community: the real tank killer from the Allies` side was airpower (both directly by hitting tanks from above and indirectly by destroying the Germans` oil supplies) and to a lesser extent artillery. Shermans, even in great numbers, were ineffective in armor-on-armor battles, because getting around a well trained and well positioned German unit to get flank and rear shots was incredibly difficult. What the Shermans were great at was pinning the German tanks down and then calling in for airstrikes and artillery. And the main benefit of massive production was to produce a lot of tanks to serve as infantry support during the Allied advance post-Normandy (as an ex-tanker, it always pains me greatly to admit this)--Shermans were lousy against Panzers and Tigers, but great against German foot soldiers and bunkers. Ever notice the lack of great tank battles in Western Europe? Besides the terrain, the main reason was that the Allies simply wouldn`t engage in them, because they didn`t need to.

Here it is... GI Combat #130. I'll also post a couple of the nice Heath covers around the same time.

gic130.jpg