• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12-cent War Comics

131 posts in this topic

Here it is... GI Combat #130. I'll also post a couple of the nice Heath covers around the same time.

gic130.jpg

That's the one! Thanks for posting it. The one I saw had perfect QP and good structure, I REALLY should have bought it. foreheadslap.gif

Ever notice the lack of great tank battles in Western Europe? Besides the terrain, the main reason was that the Allies simply wouldn`t engage in them, because they didn`t need to.

Good info. Did you ever read the War Story one-shot called Johann's Tiger? One scary machine! Of course you get the same picture reading Easy's First Tiger as well.

The War Story comics by Garth Ennis are terrific.

Another thing DC war comics taught America's youth is that you take out a pillbox by charging it with a grenade. Actually, to Kanigher I think grenades were the ultimate weapon and the average soldier threw about eight a day...

Marc

Did you ever read the War Story one-shot called Johann's Tiger? One scary machine!

Great story! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I go back and forth on Ennis. A lot of his stuff is needlessly over the top and disgusting, like some of the recent Punisher issues. On the other hand, his war stuff is FANTASTIC. I loved Enemy Ace: War in Heaven and the 4 or 5 War Stories issues I have read. Every SA war fan should pick them up.

Ever notice the lack of great tank battles in Western Europe? Besides the terrain, the main reason was that the Allies simply wouldn`t engage in them, because they didn`t need to.

The only time they did was in August 1944, during Operation 'Goodwood'. Several hundred Allied (Mainly British) tanks tried to break into the open country opposite Caen, and make a drive further into France.

Once the British tanks (Shermans, Cromwells, etc) hit the open country, SS tigers and panthers chewed them up very hard. One German tanker, Michael Wittmann, destroyed something like 14 allied tanks in an afternoon. The allies lost well over 100 tanks in a couple of days.

While it was a disaster, it did set the stage for the subsequent encirclement of a large German pocket around Falaise. They were largely destroyed.... by airpower.

Only reason I know this is because I read an article on it last month!!

Shep

I go back and forth on Ennis. A lot of his stuff is needlessly over the top and disgusting, like some of the recent Punisher issues. On the other hand, his war stuff is FANTASTIC. I loved Enemy Ace: War in Heaven and the 4 or 5 War Stories issues I have read. Every SA war fan should pick them up.

I hadn't heard of War Stories. Are there any other Ennis War comics?

I hadn't heard of War Stories. Are there any other Ennis War comics?

The only other ones I am aware of are the two prestige format Enemy Ace: War in Heaven issues. You need to read those, I am sure you will like them.

The only other ones I am aware of are the two prestige format Enemy Ace: War in Heaven issues. You need to read those, I am sure you will like them.

Enemy Ace: War in Heaven is a killer story, and the art is just magnificent... a modern day classic.

Pick it up - you won't be disappointed.

Shep

1049015-OAAW128.jpg

Spectacular copy, Adamstrange - that is a terrific book, and near impossible to find in VF or better. Sgt. Rock's origin, and a great story.

I'm gonna post a few more 12-cent GI Combats, and maybe tomorrow scan and post a few Our Armys as well.... man those are just great covers.

Nice books

Shep