• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me grade Sensation 90 please!

58 posts in this topic

I'm still crunching numbers, Donut. Truth is, I do think I'll need to sell two books in order to make both my rent and the dental bills. However, I don't think the 94 is enough (not talking about your offer, I mean enough money toward the total needed). But I have a second book that is worth a lot more, and one of my buyers is keenly interested in any WW's I have, so I think he and I can come to an agreement. This is the final remaining CGC'd book that I own, and one that I had tried to sell on ebay but didn't go (because I refused to cut the price to half its book value. I paid a lot for the book initially, because both the seller and I graded it a VF. CGC disagreed. It's the only CGC book I received where I firmly disagreed with the grading). If I can sell that book, added to the one at auction, I should have my dental care, rent and an ability to smile again.

But this doesn't mean I won't have to sell anything in the future, Donut, so don't despair on the 94. It's yours when I need the money. However, I could be talked into doing a review on it, too. If I can find the time, I will.

-- Joanna

Donut,

The private deal didn't go through and I've now got creditors calling demanding cash. I had to pay them out of my rent money, so I must liquidate as much as possible, asap. So yes, you can have the Sensation 94. Anything else you need?

-- Joanna

94 is my highest issue of Sensation, so no luck there. As for other DC's in that time frame, I've already sold them all (had some really good books there, too, dagnabbit!) except for some Wonder Woman comics. Are there any specific issues of WW you need? I know I have late 40's & 50's issues in that run. Oh, and I have an Adventure 253 ('59) that looks like a VF to me. I'd have to ask the board for grading, because we all know I suck at it, but it's awfully pretty to my eye. I've had it in my "possible CGC" file for awhile. Maybe I should just post it on ebay and see what happens. There have to be people looking for decent copies of 50's Adventure Comics.

Thinking out loud here.

Side note: I just found a stack of photos that are gorgeous. They're all test run enlargements for the press kit photos for Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope" (the 1983 re-release). Beautiful photos, with some great shots of Jimmy Stewart, and some behind the scenes stuff with Hitchcock. Those are going up tomorrow. I'd forgotten I had these. There are around 20 of them. A real piece of Hollywood history.

-- Joanna

Yes, please post a scan of the Adventure comic. I'd be interested as well as many others here, no doubt. Or if you decided to eBay it, provide a link!

I got the number wrong. It's 263. And since I can't grade, it's better to see it for yourself, than listen to me. It's got spine stress, but it lies very tight and flat, has incredible gloss (little to no surface wear) and feels like it just came off the newsstand.

Adventure263.jpg

Joanna, if I may?

F/VF, but that's just me.

I know you didn't ask, but I love grading comics. grin.gif

I'm happy that you do!

Like I said, I knew it wasn't exactly NM, and I'm not ready to give an actual grade to anything, but what struck me is something the scan can't show -- and that's the fresh feel of it. It's so tight, flat and glossy on the surface (the ink glows in the light). It was just really unusual in such an old DC. It feels like no one ever handled it.

-- Joanna

I give it VF-. Sure, it may have too many spine lines (that break the color) to be solid VF, but I expect F/VF to show more wear.

Thanks Rob! The more input I have, the better chance I have of figuring this grading thing out.

-- Joanna

It's a nice looking book Joanna. I'd say a F/VF, because of the multiple color breaks.

I have a copy of X-Men #51 that is very similar in appearance to Joanna's book. It also displays the ultra-high gloss and "new comic feel" that she described. It really enhances the books appearance so much!

Chris

Yes, please post a scan of the Adventure comic. I'd be interested as well as many others here, no doubt. Or if you decided to eBay it, provide a link!

Wayne, I decided to go for it, so here it is on ebay:

Adventure 263

It looks droolicious. I put it on my Watch list. Thanks for the heads-up.

893offtopic1.gif

Don't know if I'll go for it or not though. I'm usually looking for more bargain-priced comics. Or maybe not bargain priced, but not so expensive is what I should say.

Years ago I was happily buying up 100-page giants and annuals and Giant Size issues on the cheap. Then EVERYONE moved in and prices jumped so I was "priced" out. So then I started buying Bronze Age high grade comics for a few bucks here and there. It's deja vu all over again in the last couple of years. smile.gif I do like to go for quality over quantity these days though and spend more to upgrade a copy that I already have rather than buying low-grade filler copies.

Wayne

Thanks everyone for helping me out with the grading of this book.

The final sale price was $192.50. I never expected it to go that high. I guess people do still buy unslabbed comics! Dentist, here I come!!!

-- Joanna

The final sale price was $192.50. I never expected it to go that high. I guess people do still buy unslabbed comics! Dentist, here I come!!!

-- Joanna

First of all, congrats on the sale. Secondly, take it from someone who knows. Tell the dentist that you don't have insurance and that you are paying in cash. There is a good possability that he/she will offer you a discount rate... wink.gif

-- Joanna

First of all, congrats on the sale. Secondly, take it from someone who knows. Tell the dentist that you don't have insurance and that you are paying in cash. There is a good possability that he/she will offer you a discount rate... wink.gif

I've been going to him for years. He knows I have no insurance, and I got a big break on my last visit, so I think this time it will be standard pricing. That's okay, I have the money now (or will soon. Must get paid, and then wait for it to clear Paypal into my account. Or wait for a MO to arrive). Either way, it won't be long now. Just a matter of days.

Yeeha!

-- Joanna