• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the need for adventures of superman, AND superman vol 2?

11 posts in this topic

Hi, i've done some reading about this, and i foudn out that adventures of superman was carried on from the original superman vol 1 series? and a new title, superman vol 2 was released at the same time?

what i dont understand is what is the need for superman vol 2? what is the difference between advetures, and vol 2? also i heard vol 2 was going to be cancelled soon and adventures of superman renamed and renumbered? is this true?

a lot of questions! smile.gif thanks in advanced.

DC felt they needed to relaunch Superman when they gave over the reigns to Byrne. Because they didn't want to chunk a long run, they changed Superman to AOS and the relaunched Superman started over with number 1.

AOS will now be Superman and carry on the numbering started in the Golden Age. DC will now have Action,Detective,Superman, and Batman that will carry on from the Golden Age. That is quite a feat and a testament to the two characters.

Going by memory...but seem to remember Superman Volume 2 was a restart for Superman. For example, Mxyzptlk appeared in an early issue and the story read as if Superman met the character for the 1st time.

Not sure about Adventures of Superman. I always thought that title ended when V 2 started.

Never read the title regualarly as I spent most of my money back then on Marvel. I have however since purchased a 5 year run of all the Superman titles that came out in and around that time. Gonna' read the one of these days.

thanks a lot for the explination smile.gif

so, say if i want to add some new pulls related to superman and batman right now, i should just add AOS and batman. unless action and detective are better? whats the difference if any? if seems just a money spinner to have the same character in 2 very long running books...

also is superman vol 2 and AOS related to one another. i.e. do they share the same arc sometimes maybe? or you have to read one to understand whats going on in the other.

edit: just came to my head, so superman vol 2 is a reboot for superman with new origins? where as AOS carried on from the old golden age books, if thats the case r they even in the same continuity????

all the Superman books rebooted when Byrne started in 1986.

and YES, for most of the 90s, all 4 Superman titles ran the SAME STORYLINE in what amounted to weekly chapters! 4 books 4 weeks a month. I enjoyed it more than now where each Superman title seems to have a copmpletely different continuity.

Right. Supposedly one of Byrne's "demands" in 1985 (that he did not actually believe DC would grant) was that he be allowed to re-start Superman from #1. Remember, this was just post-Crisis, and there was talk about how all the books would be re-started, like Flash and Wonder Woman were.

So with the post-Crisis Byrne re-boot, you have Superman #1 by Byrne, Action Comics continuing its old numbering (also by Byrne), and the previous Superman series re-titled Adventures of Superman continuing the numbering from the 1939-launched series. Marv Wolfman wrote AoS and Jerry Ordway illustrated it. There were some cross-continuity threads between the three books, but not quite as heavy as in the 1989-1992 period, where you had those little triangles on the covers to show you which order to read the books, because it was basically a weekly series at that point, but published through 4 different titles (Superman: Man of Steel being the 4th).

As Unruly notes above, we will soon have the 1980s Superman series cancelled, and the 1939 original series-- recently called Adventures of Superman-- retitled Superman, and continuing its numbering, now closing in on the 700's.

Right. Supposedly one of Byrne's "demands" in 1985 (that he did not actually believe DC would grant) was that he be allowed to re-start Superman from #1. Remember, this was just post-Crisis, and there was talk about how all the books would be re-started, like Flash and Wonder Woman were.

It was also a time when comics were hot and creators were making nice money on royalties based on copies sold. So getting it to restart with #1 meant serious money in Byrne's pocket. And DCs.

Marc

wow that really sucks, so if say someone, i.e. me wanted to collect superman run, id have to get all 4 titles between 1989-1992 to get what the hell the story is about?

dman u DC!!

Ahhhh... the light has been seen! You think Superman is bad, you should have a look into trying to keep up with X-Men some time. Ridiculous.

wow that really sucks, so if say someone, i.e. me wanted to collect superman run, id have to get all 4 titles between 1989-1992 to get what the hell the story is about?

Exactly. Which is why I stopped buying Superman back then, rather than starting the other three. I felt they were trying to take advantage of me.

The good news for you is that if you're patient, you'll probably be able to pick up those issues for a fraction of what they cost new.

Exactly. Which is why I stopped buying Superman back then, rather than starting the other three. I felt they were trying to take advantage of me.

The good news for you is that if you're patient, you'll probably be able to pick up those issues for a fraction of what they cost new.

I was able to pick them all up from a collection (about 500 issues in total) in NM for a fraction of cover as I also wanted to get them as they came out but was too wrapped up into Marvel at the time. I have yet to read them, 'cause right now I'm still too wrapped up in Marvel to find the time. crazy.gif