• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYC art get-together (1/7/06)

43 posts in this topic

The list so far includes:

me (Hari Naidu)

Stephen Fishler

Ruben Espinosa

Emilio (bleekerbob)

Joe Serpico

Ted Latner

Jon Mankuta

Dave Mandel (maybe, visiting from the West Coast)

Gene Park (maybe)

David Miller

RaccoonRaccoon

I'm sure we'll get more, but that's already enough for a fun time!

Oh, and I'll invite KK if I can track him down.

Wow. I hope we'll get some detailed notes on this meeting. popcorn.gif

K.K lives in Bay Ridge ,Brooklyn.

So ive pointed you in the right direction.

Hi,

We asked KK to come, but he has declined the offer. Oh well.

.... oh he'll show up alright... you just won't know it's him... a man of many aliases, and disguises... gossip.gif

Hey heartened - Something kind of came up, I may still be able to make it @ 4, but put me down for a maybe instead of yes. I hope I can make it back from LI.

We'll be there for a while, and probably all be hanging out still at 7 or 8 PM. So, call me on my cell on your way in (PM sent), and I'll tell you where we're at.

Best,

The get-together and dinner last night was awesome. Thanks to Hari and Steve F. for setting this up. Saw a lot of nice artwork, including the Crisis #7 and #8 original covers (owned by Jon Mankuta and Hari, respectively), Hari's Frankenstein plate by Wrightson, some nice Mac Raboy strips from Ruben Espinosa's collection, some nice goodies that Joe Serpico has picked up to date (I especially liked that great Lois Lane cover) and some nice artwork from Frank Giella and Emilio's collections, in addition to the usual goodies at Metro (my favorite by far being the HOS #92 cover, though I love how the "What If Wolverine Had Killed The Hulk?" cover is hanging over the toilet screwy.gif).

Hari did a good recap of the event on the ComicArt-L list as well:

Hi,

Just wanted to thank everyone who was able to make it yesterday. We had 12 people show up, and I saw a lot of great art I hadn't seen before. Thanks to Fishler and Metropolis Comics for donating their space! 10 of us made it to dinner afterwards, including me, Steven Fishler, Gene Park, Joe Serpico, Jon Mankuta, Steve (?), Jake (?), David Miller, Ruben Espinosa and Frank Giella. Emilio... you'll have to make dinner next time! That's where all the good stories are told! We had reservations at a very nice Italian (Fishler... thanks for thinking ahead and making that reservation!), and didn't leave until around 10PM!

For those who couldn't make it (Ted Latner, Dave Mandel, and a few others), we'll do it again in a few months. This was probably one of the best ones we've had here. Makes me proud to be still be in this hobby.

Hey Gene,

I had a blast! Really, these are the reasons that I enjoy this hobby. Collecting in isolation is not where the fun is.

We'll do it again soon. And, we'll probably have a big one at SDCC this year, since it'll be the first year I'm going to make it!

Guys

Had a great time. We need to do that again. However, the only down note for the evening was Hari. Truth be told, he had a bit too much to drink at dinner. Became rather abusive and vulgar. Talk about uncomfortable. It was all I could do to convince Mankuta not to get up and leave half way through dinner.

All in all, a great time.

Stephen

Guys

Had a great time. We need to do that again. However, the only down note for the evening was Hari. Truth be told, he had a bit too much to drink at dinner. Became rather abusive and vulgar. Talk about uncomfortable. It was all I could do to convince Mankuta not to get up and leave half way through dinner.

All in all, a great time.

Stephen

That Mankuta has such high principles, I just can't live up to them! He needs to loosen up a bit (actually, he's already pretty loose, but that's a different story).

It was really great to meet so many significant collectors! Anyone even thinking about joining us next time should definitely do so - the characters in this hobby alone make it worth the price of admission...which was FREE!