• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Local Comic Book Shop in Long Island,NY?

23 posts in this topic

In your opinion, what do you think is the best comic shop on long island and why?

As you can probably guess, I'm long island based and always looking for new shops to explore in spite of how much they may overcharge, haha.

For new stuff I go to Fourth World Comics in Smithtown, but if you are looking for back issues more than a few years old you can check out Long Island Comics in West Babylon. The owners brother apparently has a warehouse out of state full of back issues. If you go on the right day, you can pick up some nice books... but you will pay guide. Pretty much every other store I have been to sucks.

Bailey's Comics on Wellwood in Lindenhurst has tons of modern backstock. Go on a weekday when the older guy is on and ask him to let you go down to check out the basement stock.

Amok Time in Levittown has some backstock, but if you buy statues and other 'toys' this is the place, a whole room devoted to the stuff.

Stay away from Captain Comics in New Hyde Park, unless you like being lied to and potentially ripped off.

Collector's Universe is the shop on Jericho Turnpike and Route 110 in Huntington. It seems pretty deep in terms of modern and especially trades and specialty books. They sometimes have in-store signings and what not there too.

Fourth World has a moderate to large selection of moderns as well.

Other non-descript modern shops; Comic Depot on Jerusalem Ave in Syosset; Serious Comics on Merrick Road in Seaford; The Book Stop on Merrick Ave. in East Meadow; Cosmic Comics on Merrick Road in Oceanside; and Count Dracula's Comic Crypt on Long Beach Road in Oceanside.

My local shop is Time Warp on Broadway in Hewlett.

Fourth World Comics has the largest selection of merchandise in the area.LI Comics has a great back issue collection and can be bargined with,if you have the right attitude.

Best Comics is now in New Hyde Park and is worth a visit. Captain Comics in NHP is a complete rip-off ,glad to see others catching on to it.I've never had a problem with Cosmic Comics,nor Draculas.

I moved out of Long Island a few years back, so some of the names are sketchy, but here's what I can recall.

Cosmic Comics, Oceanside - Avoid. Messy, dirty junk pile that smells like an ashtray. Back issues are beat and overpriced.

Long Island Comics - (Bayshore or Lindenhurst), Run by Frank Verzyl (John's brother.) Lots of Silver and Gold back issues... watch out for resto. I had several books from this store turn out to be color touched. Coincidence? confused-smiley-013.gif

There is another store in Lindenhurst on Main Street by Town Hall. Can't recall name but it is fairly good. Not a lot of Silver and Bronze, but decent Copper and lots of TPBs, statues, etc.

There is a store on Peninsula Blvd (I think in Hewlett.) Lots of statues, figures, TPBs and a decent selection of back issues. A little Silver, no Gold. Wall books are badly faded. frown.gif This store is good for filling holes in modern runs, otherwise avoid.

There is a store of Jericho Turnpike in Huntington. I haven't been there in a long time, but it was worth the visit back then.

Best Comics used to be on Northern Blvd in Great Neck. I think they moved, so you'll have to look them up. Some good back issues, slabs and lots of statues, etc. Should be worth the visit.

Count Dracula's Comic Crypt on Long Beach Road in Oceanside.

I thought this guy went out of business, but I guess he just moved. He used to be on Merrick Road in Lynbrook.

The jag-off that ran this store ripped off my girlfriend years ago when she went in to buy a Christmas Gift for me. We were young without a lot of money, so I asked for the Greatest Superman Stories ever told in softcover ($12 or so). I know he had copies in stock. I wrote it all down for her.

So, when she went in to buy it for me, the owner told her that no such book existed, and what I must have been asking for was the Superman Archives ($50). She was naive enough to believe him and ended up buying the $50 book instead of the $12 one.

I never went back to that store after that and I started buying from Westfield.

So, for that extra $38 he made off my girlfriend, he lost out on thousands of dollars in orders over 10 years.

The owners brother apparently has a warehouse out of state full of back issues.

Yup. The out-of-state brother is John Verzyl.

Before the days of ebay or the Internet, I bought a Hulk #1 from LI Comics. He said it was VG+ and I guess I wanted to believe him. Looking at it today, it's probably a 2.5 or 3.0. Thankfully it did not have undisclosed restoration, as did some of the other books I bought from him.

.I've never had a problem with Cosmic Comics,nor Draculas.

Bill, is this Ken's place?

The store, or kiosk, in Levittown is gone, right? What was it? Heroes' World?

Yup. The guy that runs Cosmic Comics is Ken something. He used to promote the month Comic Cons in the Rockville Center Holiday Inn as well. Not a bad guy... it's just that his store is a a perfect example of what-not-to-do when running a comic shop. flamed.gif

Bailey's Comics on Wellwood in Lindenhurst has tons of modern backstock. Go on a weekday when the older guy is on and ask him to let you go down to check out the basement stock.

Amok Time in Levittown has some backstock, but if you buy statues and other 'toys' this is the place, a whole room devoted to the stuff.

Stay away from Captain Comics in New Hyde Park, unless you like being lied to and potentially ripped off.

Collector's Universe is the shop on Jericho Turnpike and Route 110 in Huntington. It seems pretty deep in terms of modern and especially trades and specialty books. They sometimes have in-store signings and what not there too.

Other non-descript modern shops; Comic Depot on Jerusalem Ave in Syosset; Serious Comics on Merrick Road in Seaford; The Book Stop on Merrick Ave. in East Meadow; Cosmic Comics on Merrick Road in Oceanside; and Count Dracula's Comic Crypt on Long Beach Road in Oceanside.

Serious Comics is in Massapequa on Merrick Rd, not Seaford.

Dracula's Comic Crypt is a joke - the place looks like cr@p and smells.

There is also Stinky's Comics on Sunrise Hwy in Seaford. The weird thing is that it shares a store with the a knife/weapon store. The kiddies can pick up their favorite Conan book and get the same battle ax in the book.

Serious Comics is in Massapequa on Merrick Rd, not Seaford.

Dracula's Comic Crypt is a joke - the place looks like cr@p and smells.

There is also Stinky's Comics on Sunrise Hwy in Seaford. The weird thing is that it shares a store with the a knife/weapon store. The kiddies can pick up their favorite Conan book and get the same battle ax in the book.

Not too shabby going from memory, ya gotta admit!

Now who wants to hear why the guy with the feathered hair who owns Captain Comics in NHP is such a [embarrassing lack of self control]? (I mean besides the feathered hair...)

Yup. The guy that runs Cosmic Comics is Ken something. He used to promote the month Comic Cons in the Rockville Center Holiday Inn as well. Not a bad guy... it's just that his store is a a perfect example of what-not-to-do when running a comic shop. flamed.gif

I used to sell at that show throughout 1984-85. If you went during that time, we were the kids in the corner with our comics taped to the wall with silver/black electrical tape (damn Ronin always fell!!!) and offered free munchkins for every $5 purchased!!!

I used to go to the Rockville Center Comic Shows at the Holiday Inn on Sunrise Hwy frequently throughout 1993-94. When and why did they stop doing the shows there?

Another great comic book store that no one has mentioned is Tor Comics in Holtsville. The store is well stocked with many Silver and Bronze Age Books but they seem to hate slabbed books.

Up until a year ago he had many great books in his display case like Avengers #4, Asm #1, JIM 83 until someone broke in and stole all his good stuff during the night.

I used to go to the Rockville Center Comic Shows at the Holiday Inn on Sunrise Hwy frequently throughout 1993-94. When and why did they stop doing the shows there?

Another great comic book store that no one has mentioned is Tor Comics in Holtsville. The store is well stocked with many Silver and Bronze Age Books but they seem to hate slabbed books.

Up until a year ago he had many great books in his display case like Avengers #4, Asm #1, JIM 83 until someone broke in and stole all his good stuff during the night.

Tor is a lawyer too! Comics on one side of the building, law offices on the other! No lie!

I used to sell at that show throughout 1984-85. If you went during that time, we were the kids in the corner with our comics taped to the wall with silver/black electrical tape (damn Ronin always fell!!!) and offered free munchkins for every $5 purchased!!!

Hey Mark,

I used to go to that convention right about during those years. I'm sure I must have seen you guys. Funny, huh?

You can add me to that list as well, I used to go Rockville Center show in the early 90's. it was moved over to a place in Freeport and then it died.

Hey Mark,

I used to go to that convention right about during those years. I'm sure I must have seen you guys. Funny, huh?

Hey Mark,

You weren't the kid who always asked me for a comic that "had a good fight in it!" were you?