• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The dollars and cents of collecting-Your opinions.

92 posts in this topic

But because one often sees a ton of Good and below pre-code horror, a simple FINE really stands out.

I think with all the recent clamour for HG books (post CGC) FINE books have gotten an undesrved bad name. After all it doesn't take THAT much wear to knock a book down to FINE, and I have some really nice books in the FINE grade that I am happy to own. Its all about personally preference I know, but a nice clean flat copy with a few minor stresses and maybe rounded corners can result in a nice book that is often overlooked.

I've had lots of conversations with most of the regular posters on this board, and I can't think of a single person who would say " if you can't afford to collect high grade CGC, it might not be the hobby for you ". Please point out where high grade collectors on this board have said this, because I don't think any of us have.

The only time low-mid grade is bashed on these boards is not about collectibility, but when the question of apreciation is brought up. But I don't think anyone here would tell a low-mid grade collector to spend cash or leave the hobby. And I definetly don't see anyone acting like an elitist.

But for those of you who wonder why high grade dominates the topics on this forum, keep in mind this is the CGC forum and it should be expected.

Rob, I have many Fines and Very Fines and everything in between in my collection and have participated here since about 6 months ago. Nobody here has ever said anything to give me the impression my comics are a POS. I have found everyone supportive, friendly and very approachable on just about anything you want to talk about. And, wow do you ever learn things about the hobby. You will learn things here you would never learn anywhere else.

If you did hear that comment, I feel it was just something between a couple members that was meant to be just that. So, you listened in on a conversation - that's all that happened. The guy was trying to drive a point and knew the guy on the other end wouldn't be offended by the comment like you were. He didn't realize someone like you might be reading it and maybe it would rub you the wrong way. I have intelligent conversations with collectors who wouldn't dream of owning anything less than a 9.4, and even if he owned one, he'd be out there looking for a 9.6.

We all have comic collecting in common. Believe me, your welcome here and your comments are appreciated and I'd hate to think that you feel that you have to look elsewhere to find something your looking for when it's really right here.

Also, there are many people here that collect grades your interested in. As time goes on, you will get to know them and also, as time goes on you will feel more comfortable exchanging ideas.

Just give it a chance.

Come on, I've seen many instances where low to mid-grade collectors are demeaned and referred to as "bottom feeders", while the high-grade crowd laughs at their (supposed) misfortune.

It's a self-serving attitude, much like collecting comics in general, designed to create a larger base of HG investors, but is quite insulting to the pure collector or comic reader segments.

CGC forums or not, if someone is happy with a VG copy, then more power to them. Personally speaking, a nice VG copy of AF 15 would be fine by me, as I don't invest in something as bizarre as comic books.

as I don't invest in something as bizarre as comic books.

Why not?

(WARNING: THREAD HIJACK)

As long as you've got a diversified portfolio, having some of your investment in comics is no different from having your investment in other non-completely liquid items (jewelry, for example).

Why not?

Because they really have no true liquidity, and it's a lot of work to sell them. With stocks or other formal investments, one phone call and I can get someone else to do the work, and there are no physical items to ship or store.

If you're intelligent, you can make money in any area, so I usually choose the path of least resistance. grin.gif

That's what is most interesting about the current wave of speculators; they've likely never looked at the back-end of their funny book portfolio, and foolishly believe that Heritage (like Sotheby's and Greg Manning before them) provides a solid, stock market-like environment for selling comics.

Rob?

that's Joe, and he's like that. grin.gif

And Joe,

No one's called me a bottom - feeder and laughed at my (supposed) misfortune. I feel that I am not as opinionated as you are. And maybe that's why you see it more than I do. I mean, it's there sure, but I don't notice it and I'm not looking for it either.

(Must be my POSITIVE nature?) cool.gif

Because they really have no true liquidity, and it's a lot of work to sell them. With stocks or other formal investments, one phone call and I can get someone else to do the work, and there are no physical items to ship or store.

Ah, so you aren't against investing in comics per se, but against investing in them because they are a pain in the anus to sell. In the words of the Great and Powerful Oz, that's a horse of a different color.

See, this is why you need to (warning SPAM alert!) use ME to sell your books! grin.gif

>>Ah, so you aren't against investing in comics per se, but against investing in them because they are a pain in the anus to sell. In the words of the Great and Powerful Oz, that's a horse of a different color.

Sure, but it's reality. I see comics that I could flip for 5X-10X+++ the bid/BIN amount, but unless I want it for my collection, I just don't see how it's worth the time and effort, especially compared to other areas I've done exceedingly well in.

I won't get divorced for stacking my portfolio, while stacking a few more longboxes in the basement will likely get me in deep doodoo.

Plus, the time for serious investment in comics is long past, and it's time to hunker down and wait for the next trough.

Come on, I've seen many instances where low to mid-grade collectors are demeaned and referred to as "bottom feeders", while the high-grade crowd laughs at their (supposed) misfortune.

Please provide a link because I've never seen this. Perhaps lower/mid grade collectors also shouldn't be so quick to call high grade collectors "elitist".

As you just mentioned above, to each his own.

Plus, the time for serious investment in comics is long past, and it's time to hunker down and wait for the next trough.

Oh, I disagree there. The time for serious investment in NON-CGC books in high grade, slightly restored slabbed books and mid-high (F/F+ to VF) Gold and early Silver has NEVER been better. The high end CGC market is sucking the cash out of the marketplace, and eBay is making it much much more of a buyers market - you can find ANYTHING if you look hard enough. (And I do mean ANYTHING, I picked up a copy of Dennis the Menace Bible Kids 10 yesterday for damn near nothing - in the OS, Sulipa's market report he said he can sell it for 1000% of Guide.)

Buy and hold, my friend, buy and hold. I'll take mid-grade 1940s and 1950s books and early Marvels for what I'm paying for them right now all day long.

We're in agreement, but I just think prices will continue to get better and better.

Then it's time to "do a Greggy" while the saps are trying to pay their VISA bill.

I totally agree. Although prices are HIGH right now, the AVAILABILITY makes up for it. When the 1st Spider-man movie came out, you could find EVERY copy of ASM in high grade. People know it's the best time to sell, and "secret stashes" come out. Before the Daredevil movie, how often did you see NM+ copies of DD 158 and 168 up for auction? The HULK movie is doing the same thing. If you are looking for HG HULK's, you'll be like "A KID IN A CANDY STORE" soon......Don't be afraid to buy yourself something NICE. Afterall, you deserve it.....

After all it doesn't take THAT much wear to knock a book down to FINE, and I have some really nice books in the FINE grade that I am happy to own

I concur. Usually there's also a world of difference in price between a nice FINE copy and something that's graded VF and slabbed. I can always find decent priced fine copies at 40-60% of guide at most. Whereas i've seen graded VF's go for 1.5x guide :\

I,m with you. I love buying older books at most grades ( Min "G" ) just to have them.

There's something about old GA books. Covers, the smell & feel. Silly Stories.

I'ts a great feeling showing off some of these oldies to somebody ( Hey, anybody who'll listens , actually )

Anyway , if you like a book , any book , any grade , buy it !! Because thats really what the love of comics is all about.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=bronze&Number=127364&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

"Errr....so what? It's F/VF not even high grade."

"Damn rookie, I own 6 copies now with another coming from the Vault auctions!"

"Drbanner has a CGC 9.4 copy that he posted a pic of a while back. You would be suprised how good it looks compared to that raw, POS, possibly overgraded, F/VF you're drooling over."

You don't think this post is "elitest"? If not, it surely discourages someone from sharing a cool F/VF comic they found.

Yup. I'd call that elitist.

Don't want to name names, but I guess gman, BachelorofComix and greggy are elitists.

I do remember reading this thread and I did kinda feel bad for bronze. He was obviously excited about the book. But I don't know if he was all that bothered by the response? He seemed to roll with the comments pretty good and I am thinking (between the lines) it was all in fun.....wasn't it?

Guess we need to here from the elitists. confused.gif

Bronze, were you bothered by this? Or are we making a mountain out of a mole-hill here?

Don't worry....my comment is that I get bored when people show links to auctions for books that are common regardless of grade. tongue.gif