• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much information is enough (or too much)?

7 posts in this topic

I am thinking of putting up some books in the Marketplace (most will be sold due to a refocus of my collecting goals) and am wondering (since I no longer have access to a scanner) how much detail is enough/too much when describing.

I was thinking that only VF books and above need more detailed descriptions (unless there is something egregious in the lower-grade books).

Is that right?

I've been including PQ, bends, production creases, moisture spots, date stamps.

Should QP be included? Other things?

The discount will likely be somewhere between 40% and 70% off of guide... yet to be determined.

I'm going to triple-check the grading (quick once-over, more detailed, final pass with the OGG open and by my side) and I generally do moderately well in the grading contests (tend to undergrade), so the grades should be much more accurate than what I was told these books were when I originally purchased them.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Whenever I'm shopping eBay I read the descriptions to guage how well the seller understands comic book defects. I don't pay as much attention to their judgment of grade as I do to the follow-on description. I'm always leery when someone says nothing more than "NM copy!" Or my other favorite - "high grade copy".

I favor those sellers that take the time to explain why they think the book rates the grade they claim it to be.

A personal pet peeve is that sellers forget to explain the condition of the spine, perfect or not.

Heres an example taken from a run of 15 New Mutants books I sold a while back:

7. VF/NM. Actually probably a NM copy. Minor color flake lower right corner. 3 very minor hairline stress lines on spine. None greater than 1/16 of an inch.

8. VF. 3 small stress lines on the spine, none greater than 1/16 of an inch. 1/4 inch crease lower right corner does not break color. 1/8 inch faint cover crease near right hand edge, does not break color.

In this auction I only included high-res scans of 2 books along with descriptions in the above format. My intent was to give the potential buyer the chance to see a scan and verify the scan against my description. I hoped to boost the buyer's confidence of my descriptions.

Ultimately how much info you put into your books is up to you. IMO the better the description the better the chance of a decent sale.

If you end up not selling some books and are just trying to make some room in your collection I suggest donating to comics4kids.

Also what's your ebay handle? PM me if you don't want to make it public. I'd like to peruse your auction.

Sometimes a scan is worth a thousand words 893scratchchin-thumb.gif,

Buy an inexpensive scanner, and include a grade based on defects that cant be seen in the scan(IYHO), next to it.

Yup... Marketplace because there aren't many books (35 or so) nor are they high-dollar value (highest is in the $50 range for full guide, but only 7 are at or above $20 for full guide... after discount, only 1 is around the $20 mark).

I'll probably enhance the descriptions on my final grading pass. I hope to have them up next week sometime so that I can deal with them one way or another before my birthday.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Fan4Fan said he's putting this in the marketplace, not ebay. I'm assuming everyone's comments are the same, but I think the marketplace is a little different than ebay.

Thanks for pointing that out. Not to be dense but where is this Marketplace and how do I get there. I'm always looking for more places to purchase books. Admittedly I'm not well informed as to the best places to buy comics online. I know abut Comiclink, Pedigree, and eBay.

Someone enlighten me on Marketplace.

Thanks,

D