• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your proudest modern book thread!

64 posts in this topic

Thanks awe4one for the pointer to this book. For $20 I got an actual copy of a book I once had a $5 scan bounty on.

1054399-ff60.jpg

mad.gif

I don't have one right now, and keep missing the MyComicShop listings.

Here's a couple of threads on this topic:

Info

where i found one, and then the [embarrassing lack of self control] USPS lost it on the way to Germany

Rob's bounty

Very detailed info thread

My most precious Modern comics are a set of Crossgen Pre-Production File copies of Chronicles #1, Meridian #1, Ruse #1, Scion #1, and Sigil #1. I bought from Hooked On Comics in 2002/3. I've never seen any others anywhere on the web and I don't plan on ever selling them. Each one is twice as thick as a regular published copy.

My favorite is Ruse #1, but I don't have a scan handy so here's the Chronicles #1...

705791-CrossGenChronicles1preproduction_ebay725964254.jpg

That's a real nice Art Thibert DF signed Ultimate you have there Silvers24

DF is awesome. They are a trusted name in the industry and get some of the biggest names to do signings for them. Check out this DF certified book I recently won in an ebay auction (given by a partner site of DF). I posted this in another thread elsewhere on the CGC boards but I'm so proud of this book that I just have to show it off again. You can bet that this one set me back a few dollars.

Action Comics #1 reprint signed by Superman creator Jerry Siegel!

It was autographed in early 1993 at one of only a few formal signings done for Dynamic Forces. Serial Numbered and certified authentic by Dynamic Forces "The worlds leading supplier of signed comics" (COA included of course). Just to make extra sure I actually called long distance to the Dynamic Forces Inc. offices and spoke directly with the current DF President Nick Barrucci. He verified it and also said that Jerry Siegel signed limited numbers of a few other Superman issues during the early 90s. It has also been graded and slabbed by CGC so it will stay in the excellent condition that it's in. Most were sold off years ago but every once in a while you can still find some DF authenticated Jerry Siegel autographed books. They're never cheap though and I expect the prices to rise even higher in the coming months when the new Superman movie hype machine kicks into full gear.

Of course the book was slabbed years after the signing because CGC didn't even exist in 93 and Jerry Siegel died in January of 1996, so a Signature Series is forever out of the question. Currently, DF does have a partnership with CGC and they often offer books in a CGC Signature Series (if desired). When it comes to a Jerry Siegel autograph you usually just have to just hope that it's real (unless you were lucky enough to meet the legend himself). You almost never get any real authentication from a name as trusted as DF.

It just arrived yesterday and is being kept in a very safe and special place

Having a reprint of Action #1 signed by THE MAN is something I thought I'd never have. Don't get me wrong, Joe Shuster greatly deserves the co-credit that he gets as being the first artist for Superman because he did provide some important input into the costume and other aspects, but we must never forget that the idea was formed from the mind of Jerry Siegel, and that's the reason why he gets the honor of being credited first in all Superman media along with his pal Joe.

This is now my most prized comic, though the Action Comics #29 I have is really close. I have others that are worth more $ but this one is by far my favorite.

I'll never get rid of this one. This one's definitely a keeper!

Check it out.Unfortunately this is the best pic I have of it because my scanner's busted. 2006 is gonna be one heck of a year for Superman fans like myself with the new movie also on the way.

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

act1980341.gif

WOW thats amazing, one hell of a sig from the original SUPERHERO creator of superman, i have to say its even mroe so now that jerry is no longer with us...

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

beautiful book indeed smile.gif

Thanks awe4one for the pointer to this book. For $20 I got an actual copy of a book I once had a $5 scan bounty on.

1054399-ff60.jpg

mad.gif

I don't have one right now, and keep missing the MyComicShop listings.

Wow, I didn't know this book was going for so much. I have a couple of them. They were origingal going for $0.09 when it was released. Kinda like the Batman 10 cent adventure and Superman 10 cent book. Thanks for letting me know! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow, I didn't know this book was going for so much. I have a couple of them. They were origingal going for $0.09 when it was released. Kinda like the Batman 10 cent adventure and Superman 10 cent book. Thanks for letting me know! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's NOT the 9 cent edition, it's the newsstand $2.25 edition. That's the point. No one wants the 9 cent edition.

Oh, okay.. Hmmm. Same cover. So what's the difference? Besides price I mean?
The price is the difference.

The newstand $2.25 cover was remarkable difficult to obtain by collectors.

Oh, okay.. now I see. Well, I'll have to check but if I'm not mistaken I do have the newstand version as well. I know at the time my LCS dude was out and his clerk was pretty much just giving all of them away at $0.09. I don't know if he knew the difference. But I'll just have to rummage through the boxes tonight! 27_laughing.gif.

Oh, okay.. now I see. Well, I'll have to check but if I'm not mistaken I do have the newstand version as well. I know at the time my LCS dude was out and his clerk was pretty much just giving all of them away at $0.09. I don't know if he knew the difference. But I'll just have to rummage through the boxes tonight! 27_laughing.gif.

That's just the thing, the NEWSSTAND version wouldn't have been at your LCS.

My question is... how much is the 9¢ version worth and how much is the $2.25 version worth? And which has appreciated the most?

[Example: if the 9¢ version is worth 90¢ and the $2.25 version is worth $20, percentage-wise the 9¢ one has done better. insane.gif]

That's a real nice Art Thibert DF signed Ultimate you have there Silvers24

DF is awesome. They are a trusted name in the industry and get some of the biggest names to do signings for them. Check out this DF certified book I recently won in an ebay auction (given by a partner site of DF). I posted this in another thread elsewhere on the CGC boards but I'm so proud of this book that I just have to show it off again. You can bet that this one set me back a few dollars.

Action Comics #1 reprint signed by Superman creator Jerry Siegel!

It was autographed in early 1993 at one of only a few formal signings done for Dynamic Forces. Serial Numbered and certified authentic by Dynamic Forces "The worlds leading supplier of signed comics" (COA included of course). Just to make extra sure I actually called long distance to the Dynamic Forces Inc. offices and spoke directly with the current DF President Nick Barrucci. He verified it and also said that Jerry Siegel signed limited numbers of a few other Superman issues during the early 90s. It has also been graded and slabbed by CGC so it will stay in the excellent condition that it's in. Most were sold off years ago but every once in a while you can still find some DF authenticated Jerry Siegel autographed books. They're never cheap though and I expect the prices to rise even higher in the coming months when the new Superman movie hype machine kicks into full gear.

Of course the book was slabbed years after the signing because CGC didn't even exist in 93 and Jerry Siegel died in January of 1996, so a Signature Series is forever out of the question. Currently, DF does have a partnership with CGC and they often offer books in a CGC Signature Series (if desired). When it comes to a Jerry Siegel autograph you usually just have to just hope that it's real (unless you were lucky enough to meet the legend himself). You almost never get any real authentication from a name as trusted as DF.

It just arrived yesterday and is being kept in a very safe and special place

Having a reprint of Action #1 signed by THE MAN is something I thought I'd never have. Don't get me wrong, Joe Shuster greatly deserves the co-credit that he gets as being the first artist for Superman because he did provide some important input into the costume and other aspects, but we must never forget that the idea was formed from the mind of Jerry Siegel, and that's the reason why he gets the honor of being credited first in all Superman media along with his pal Joe.

This is now my most prized comic, though the Action Comics #29 I have is really close. I have others that are worth more $ but this one is by far my favorite.

I'll never get rid of this one. This one's definitely a keeper!

Check it out.Unfortunately this is the best pic I have of it because my scanner's busted. 2006 is gonna be one heck of a year for Superman fans like myself with the new movie also on the way.

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

act1980341.gif

That is very nice man. If you like DF, here is three others of mine.

(You know what makes them even sweeter? I got them for free by someon I know)

(These four books are my MOST proudest Modern.)

(How do I make my images bigger? My USM is big, and I did nothing)

marvelknights0015.jpg

Back:

marvelknightsb.jpg

Stone: The Awakening.

stone_sighned0009.jpg

Back:

stone_sighned_back0010.jpg

Stone Cold Steve Austin:

steve.jpg

Back:

steveb.jpg

Thank you guys for your comments.

When I aquired it I just had to let all of you see it.

You can't keep something that awesome under wraps.

It begs to be showed off.

Those DFs are awesome Silvers. I especially like that Marvel Knights.

DD looks so ticked on that cover. Looks like he's ready to bust some heads!

Those other two dudes don't look like pansies either. I especially wouldn't want to mess with that last guy. Just look at him the wrong way and he just might be forced to "Open up a can of Whoop A$$".

If that happened I think I'd probably wet my pants, right before losing consciousness.

stop posting about FF 60 please... goign WAAAAY off topic, start a new topic if you wanna talk about it!!!!

how is it off topic?

What is the going rate for the newstand version? Is there enough sales data available to give a good value estimate?

Thank you guys for your comments.

When I aquired it I just had to let all of you see it.

You can't keep something that awesome under wraps.

It begs to be showed off.

Those DFs are awesome Silvers. I especially like that Marvel Knights.

DD looks so ticked on that cover. Looks like he's ready to bust some heads!

Those other two dudes don't look like pansies either. I especially wouldn't want to mess with that last guy. Just look at him the wrong way and he just might be forced to "Open up a can of Whoop A$$".

If that happened I think I'd probably wet my pants, right before losing consciousness.

Yeah, aside from USM#22, I love the Marvel Knights cover. I have never read a Stone Cold Steve Austin comic, nor a Stone: The Awakening comic, but I am just happy to have them. cloud9.gif