• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Punisher!

79 posts in this topic

The Punisher movie may not suck that much as the screenwriter previously worked on Armagg shocked.gif edon, Nic Cage & Sean Connery's The Rock, & Bruce Willis' part 3 of his trilogy. Gale Ann Hurd (Terminator) will also have a hand in the production.

Great stuff Dan...and as much as I love Marvel, Mary Jane, Elektra, and Betty Ross, those 70's DC heroines/villainesses were total sexpots!! Yowza!

I know he isn't much of an actor, but Dolph Lundgren had a much more intimidating physical presence than this guy does. He's just not big enough...

Yeah, seriously......this guy dosen't look an ounce over 160lbs. You'd have to stack at least 30 solid pounds on that frame to make him look even REMOTELY presentable. If this loser came at a criminal, I suspect he'd laugh and wring him by his scrawny neck.

And what's with the shirt? He looks like he bought it at Toys R Us, right before Halloween.

And he looks like after he's done "punishin' ", he's going to go home to the WB and climb into Dawson's window for "movie time".

I love the Punisher, but this is just pathetic.

And what's with the shirt? He looks like he bought it at Toys R Us, right before Halloween.
It's those stark covers Tim Bradstreet has been drawing on the Ennis Punisher issues. Looks like somebody working on the film saw those, bought something on E-Bay, and handed it to Jane at the studio one day. Bradstreet's depictions do have a gritty realism about them, and I'd expect Castle to look more like Bradstreet's vision than the one Dillon draws...as stone cold as Castle is, he'd more likely wear a ratty t-shirt before the fairly stylish costume he usually sports in the stories.

But Dillon's outfit looks so much more aesthetically pleasing with the skull drawn onto the exterior of that black body armor...

I'm glad I love my high grade ASM #129's, or I'd be dumping them right NOW!

Okay, so everyone's down on a "too small" Punisher. Should he be some sort of hyper-muscular freak like he is in the comics? Haven't we learned from our discussions about being "impossibly well-built" (as are most of the women in comics... not to mention the men?) Are we to believe that it "just so happens" that the ONE cop with the Schwarzeneggerian physique is the one whose family gets killed? I thought the Punisher let his guns do the talkin'? You don't need to be 290 pounds of solid muscle to pull a trigger, eh? I would MUCH rather see a smallish Punisher than some gigantic, body-building, should-have-been-a-linebacker freakshow.

I will give you that the costume looks incredibly bad, but bagging on the actor because he's not enormous sounds like so much fanboy lamentation.

Yeah, this is right up there with Bullseye, and we all know what happened to that comic.

From the picture, I'm guessing Castle's just been robbed and the bad guys made off with his shoulders. grin.gif

As joe has just pointed out with his latest graphical mastepiece MK, there is a big difference between a pumped up bodybuilder and a skinny dweeb. Hopefully the Punisher should lean towards the former. grin.gif

As joe has just pointed out with his latest graphical mastepiece MK, there is a big difference between a pumped up bodybuilder and a skinny dweeb. Hopefully the Punisher should lean towards the former.

Sorry fellers, but that guy is what we in the non-comic world call "normal."

Maybe we should start a poll? wink.gif

I'll let you in on a little secret, movie goers like their action heroes larger than life, and physically intimidating. Otherwise you get into the usual "my grandma could beat that corn-puff" inconsistencies and the mood is lost.

There are a few exceptions, but there are reasons for it, like Reeves on the Matrix, where his "mind" is actually doing the fighting, not his skinny-butt frame. If you're filming a real-world action hero, he'd better not be a skinny dweeb, or you're flaunting audience expectations and the odds are stacked heavily against you.

That's why Vin Diesel is such a hot commodity right now, as he's a big guy that can act.

I'll let you in on a little secret, movie goers like their action heroes larger than life, and physically intimidating.

Like Bruce Willis in Die Hard? You really think that guy is smaller than Bruce?

Do we need to make a list here? How about ANYBODY other than Big Arnie? Nic Cage springs to mind... he buffs up (and down) for movie roles...

Those two plus Vin Diesel give us THREE big guys. Woo.

Now, if you want to start talking about people who AREN'T gigantic, Harrison Ford springs to mind, as does Will Smith, Keanu (in movies OTHER than the Matrix... like Speed, for example), hell, George Clooney has had his share of "action" genre roles...

Your mission: Name more "BIG" guys in action films.

Your mission: Name more "BIG" guys in action films.

Other than the ones you've mentioned:

Sylvestor Stallone

Jean Claude Van Damme

Dulph Lundgren

Hulk Hogan

Lou Ferigno

Mr T

Michael Clarke-Duncan

Adam West

Off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are many more. tongue.gif

.....ok so the last one was a joke. grin.gif