• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what is the state of the hobby?

29 posts in this topic

So, how are things in comic collecting land, as it apperas the "crash" has not occurred yet? Slabbed comics still popular, or losing popularity? I've basically been on Pluto since March of 05 as far as collecting goes, and have missed any and all uprisings, bad things, good things-so is the hobby stable? Leveled out? Declining? Still shooting upwards? confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

99% of the hobby is fine. The 1% of the hobby that is concerned with slabbed books is in trouble. If you're dealing in raw books, and looking to buy them, the hobby is the same way it has been for years.

99% of the hobby is fine. The 1% of the hobby that is concerned with slabbed books is in trouble. If you're dealing in raw books, and looking to buy them, the hobby is the same way it has been for years.

Could have sworn the question pertained specifically to slabbed books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Could have sworn the question pertained specifically to slabbed books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, how are things in comic collecting land , as it apperas the "crash" has not occurred yet? Slabbed comics still popular, or losing popularity? I've basically been on Pluto since March of 05 as far as collecting goes, and have missed any and all uprisings, bad things, good things-so is the hobby stable? Leveled out? Declining? Still shooting upwards?

So you're saying that "comic collecting land" only has slabs in it? He asked about the hobby, not slabs.

I've only submitted about 25 raw books since I started collecting, and they were all purchased in the last 4 years. 9 of them came back restored. Not my idea of "fine".

So, how are things in comic collecting land , as it apperas the "crash" has not occurred yet? Slabbed comics still popular, or losing popularity?[/b] I've basically been on Pluto since March of 05 as far as collecting goes, and have missed any and all uprisings, bad things, good things-so is the hobby stable? Leveled out? Declining? Still shooting upwards?

So you're saying that "comic collecting land" only has slabs in it? He asked about the hobby, not slabs.

Really? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, how are things in comic collecting land, as it apperas the "crash" has not occurred yet? Slabbed comics still popular, or losing popularity? I've basically been on Pluto since March of 05 as far as collecting goes, and have missed any and all uprisings, bad things, good things-so is the hobby stable? Leveled out? Declining? Still shooting upwards?

So, how are things in comic collecting land , as it apperas the "crash" has not occurred yet? Slabbed comics still popular, or losing popularity?[/b] I've basically been on Pluto since March of 05 as far as collecting goes, and have missed any and all uprisings, bad things, good things-so is the hobby stable? Leveled out? Declining? Still shooting upwards?

So, how are things in comic collecting land, as it apperas the "crash" has not occurred yet? Slabbed comics still popular, or losing popularity? I've basically been on Pluto since March of 05 as far as collecting goes, and have missed any and all uprisings, bad things, good things-so is the hobby stable? Leveled out? Declining? Still shooting upwards?

Are you saying the hobby is only slabs? screwy.gif That's my question. Currin - are you saying the hobby is only slabs?

I've only submitted about 25 raw books since I started collecting, and they were all purchased in the last 4 years. 9 of them came back restored. Not my idea of "fine".

Folks here whine and complain that roughly 1 out of 10,000 CGC graded books has a problem with missed restoration...

You've had 9 out of 25 from comic dealers selling raw... foreheadslap.gif

Are you saying the hobby is only slabs? screwy.gif That's my question. Currin - are you saying the hobby is only slabs?

confused.gif

So, how are things in comic collecting land , as it apperas the "crash" has not occurred yet? Slabbed comics still popular, or losing popularity? I've basically been on Pluto since March of 05 as far as collecting goes, and have missed any and all uprisings, bad things, good things-so is the hobby stable? Leveled out? Declining? Still shooting upwards?

Everytime we talk about the "state of the hobby" you bring up the fact that most collectors don't touch slabs. We get it. makepoint.gif But this is the CGC board, most of us have slabs/collect high grade, so that's what we talk about. We understand that all is fine in VG land, which is where most collectors reside, but most posters here aren't involved with that aspect of collecting. For us, the "state of the hobby" is largely impacted by the state of CGC graded books, and the high grade market in general.

So, how are things in comic collecting land, as it apperas the "crash" has not occurred yet? Slabbed comics still popular, or losing popularity? I've basically been on Pluto since March of 05 as far as collecting goes, and have missed any and all uprisings, bad things, good things-so is the hobby stable? Leveled out? Declining? Still shooting upwards? confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've been getting great deals on slabbed bronze books--about 2 months ago i got a conan 15 CGC 9.6 for $64!!! I don't hesitate to buy slabs but I don't chase them either. When i buy them it is usually in 9.2 to avoid the price hikes involved in the higher grades. When it comes to silver books i generally prefer slabs as I have yet to be disapointed in their(CGC) quality and since i cannot afford to buy in the NM range in silver I feel confident I avoid the shysters trying to trim their way to big $$$.

I have yet to pay $1000 for a non CGC book! I have so much more confidence in the CGC product at this level! This is not to say that I hesitate to buy raw books from those sellers that I have found to be competent graders-I don't at all -I enjoy paying less $$$ for books and also enjoy the savings on shipping costs as well!!!!

Honestly though alot more trial and error goes with buying raw books--right now I am in the process of returning 2 conan's(#'s 2 &7 graded NM- white pages) to J&S COMICS because I didn't feel they measure up---so i find buying raw books a hassle sometimes but i will always continue to buy a healthy amount of raw books as long as i am collecting!!! As far as the hobby I think silver has leveled out some but is pretty stable, bronze has cooled off quite a bit it seems. I think how the upcoming movies fare will tell us alot about the immediate future of the market. The next spidey movie especially --if spidey#3 tanks at the box office I think we all know there will be a drop in silver prices across the board!!! 893blahblah.gif

It pertains to the entire hobby, with a question directed at slabbed comics as well.

For the entire hobby, there's the same problems, concerns and events that there has been for the history of the hobby.

For raw books, this is probably the best time ever to be a buyer, as you have many many more outlets to buy from, there's much more competition, there's almost instantaneous availability of almost everything (look at Ian Levine - it took him 20 years to get to 250 books, and then he found the remaining ones on line in 24 months), grading standards have significantly toughened, and you have the ability to see things you've never seen before. It has also become much easier to sell your books than ever before, and the ability of a collector to turn on a dime and change his/her collecting focus without taking a huge bath is something that's not really discussed. If you know how to grade, and can spot restoration - and for those of you who can't I urge you to spend some time with FFB at a convention - the hobby can be a great place right now for raw books, even in high grades.

For slabs, yecch. There are scandals all over the place.

I feel the Overstreet Market Reports are an excellent source for re-discovering year after year how great the state of the hobby is currently. It's constantly changing from year to year yet it's always the same. grin.gif

confused.gif