• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the latest on the CGC Purple vs. Blue Label For Restored Books?

82 posts in this topic

I agree that it is a HORRIBLE idea. But not for the reasons most people are stating. If you look at Golden Age keys. Most of them have some kind of restoration. That doesn't bother me. I'm not snooty about restoration. Keep complaining and not buying these books. I'll get them for that much cheaper.

The idea of getting rid of the Purple Label is just lunacy at it's best. If anything happens at all, it will be a severe backlash on restored book's. It will get collectors/buyers nothing but very angry. If The CGC thinks they will sort of "force" people too look at a book, there 100% wrong. I can see the buyers telling The CGC just what they think of being "forced" too look at a book. If they think that restored books now arent getting the prices/recognition now just wait. The value of them will plummet even worse than now. The US govt. tried "forcing" the $2 on the American public. Even though they knew through research the public didnt want it. How dare the public tell the govt. what too do the govt. thought. Where did that great idea end up?? Oh Yeah, in the garbage, not made anymore. Cant even sell them as a rarity or whatever you want too call it now. The same thing will happen with the purposed colour changes. Add to the fact that some belevie that The CGC is being pressured by dealers too do this change, and The CGC are bowing there heads and saying "Yes Sir, Right Away Sir".. That just isnt going too fly. If the CGC does it, there signing the complete death sentence too something that is on life support as it is. The public at large dosent take being force fed very well. What happens when it does happen?? Oh yeah, refer too the $2 bill story....

A restored book is still a restored book. Just the "forcing" part of CGC's plan too get more people too look at restored books will backfire IMHO. If it goes as I suspect it will. The public will pay even less for a restored book. The public in general dosent take too being "forced" too do anything. They usually rebel and make it known they didnt and wont accept it, whatever IT is.. It wont be long before a restored book value goes even further down. The exact opposite of what The CGC wants too happen. It isnt there business to try and get more book's looked at, bought, sold, traded. There job is too evaluate a comic book, grade and restoration. That's it, that's all. No more, no less... That is what your paying them too do when you send in a comic book to them afterall.

PS.. When is the last time anyone spent an American $2 bill?? Id bet most dont even know what it look's like... Im sure youd get a bit of a weird look from the clerk wherever you were trying too use it for payment as well.....

It wont be long before a restored book value goes even further down. The exact opposite of what The CGC wants too happen.

This is exactly what I said on this board in my posts 6 months ago!

Followed by the usual [ yeah right sacarcastic responces]

It will continue to happen and is one of the reasons they didnt carry there plan through[cgc]

I can understand someone wanting to restore/conserve some book's. These book's are Americana. They are the beginnings of the mythical super hero. Spiderman, Superman.. A part of your childhood, and a part of history. It is a very good way of keeping those memories alive. A living history if you will. If someone dosent mind a restored book, thats cool. But trying too force someone too take a look isnt.. IMHO

It wont be long before a restored book value goes even further down. The exact opposite of what The CGC wants too happen.

This is exactly what I said on this board in my posts 6 months ago!

Followed by the usual [ yeah right sacarcastic responces]

It will continue to happen and is one of the reasons they didnt carry there plan through[cgc]

So you guys think that a person who has no problem buying restored books will suddenly become less interested in restored books because the book has a blue label instead of a purple label? That is just inane.

Waste a collectors time and there not going too be prone too give top dollar on a restored book. You meet up with the seller, he had better have them pre-sorted. If not the buyer is just going too get angry or dis interested. Sorry there all blue labels, give me 30 mins. wouldnt impress me. Or make me want too pay more for a book. If anything, it would be it had better be worth the time for me too sit here while the dealer sort's the unrestored books from the restored/conserved books. Like I said before. it isnt The CGC's job too get books bought and sold. Grade, restoaration check, notations on the book. No more, no less. It is up to the seller too move there stock. If they cant move that stock, they had better get the stock people are interested in buying. Not get some other business too try and help them out. Especially when that isnt the other companies job.

I think the issue was NOT to get people who like restored books to appreciate them even more.I think the issue was to convert people who only like UNRESTORED books to appreciate Restored books even more.This is what cgc was trying to do[as I see it] This is where there objective failed.

They tried but couldnt manipulate collector opinion.

Interesting how Cgc wants to promote[manipulate] collectors to accept restored books as being more valuable than we think. Yet, they dont list a single [RESTORED] book in there gallery!

I m talking about what? maybe a 1000 scans in there gallery.Not 1 book is restored. Kinda tells me what they really think in the back of there minds.

So you guys think that a person who has no problem buying restored books will suddenly become less interested in restored books because the book has a blue label instead of a purple label? That is just inane.

That is not the issue they had in mind. Its the exact opposite....

They want people who buy UNRESTORED books[the majority of collectors] ...to appreciate restored books all the more[ and pay more].

That is where the bucks are in there idea for an all blue label.

That is not the issue they had in mind. Its the exact opposite....

They want people who buy UNRESTORED books[the majority of collectors] ...to appreciate restored books all the more[ and pay more].

That is where the bucks are in there idea for an all blue label.

You're changing the subject. We were talking about whether a switch to the blue restored label with full disclosure and an extensive restoration scale would cause prices to fall on restored books. My point is that people who hate restored books are already not buying them, so their hatred of a blue restored label will have no impact on prices. The only impact that I would expect to see from this segment of the collecting community with respect to restored books is a lot more whining.

Those who like restored books will not become less likely to buy a restored book because of a blue label. I don't think they'd be inclined to pay much more for them either, but I do not believe you're correct when you say it would cause prices to fall. For that subset of the collecting community who is willing to buy restored books, if anything, it would make those books more attractive because the buyer would have more information about the book.

FFB

Your meaning is understood.

The restored collectors are[by comparison] a very very small group compared to the UNRESTORED collector base. If anything significant is going to change, there is no avoiding having to deal with the mindset of the unrestored collector.

You're changing the subject. We were talking about whether a switch to the blue restored label with full disclosure and an extensive restoration scale would cause prices to fall on restored books.

I cant say for sure and none of us can. But it is the collector base[the buyers] who should make this decision,not selected dealers and hobbiests that cgc has asked for an opinion.

The all blue label idea fell apart because cgc asked only specific people and dealers for there opinions after which they found out the collecting community had a different opinion.

FFB

Your meaning is understood.

The restored collectors are[by comparison] a very very small group compared to the UNRESTORED collector base. If anything significant is going to change, there is no avoiding having to deal with the mindset of the unrestored collector.

Really? What is the percentage breakdown among collectors who collect ONLY unrestored books, versus those who would accept a restored book at the right price?

Really? What is the percentage breakdown among collectors who collect ONLY unrestored books, versus those who would accept a restored book at the right price?

FFB.

Im telling you there are many more unrestored collectors vs restored collectors period.Across the board.Golden, Silver and bronz......A statement that implies nothing more than what it says.

Answering vs who would accept a restored book at the right price is an answer that

will have a different answer for each collector.There is no universal answer.

As for me,the right price is a dramatically reduced price, and thats for slight restoration.....

FFB.

Im telling you there are many more unrestored collectors vs restored collectors period.Across the board.Golden, Silver and bronz......A statement that implies nothing more than what it says.

Answering vs who would accept a restored book at the right price is an answer that

will have a different answer for each collector.There is no universal answer.

As for me,the right price is a dramatically reduced price, and thats for slight restoration.....

Last I heard, you won't buy any restored books. Has that changed?

I think you're wrong about your numbers. I believe that the percentage of collectors who collect unrestored ONLY is a very very very small percentage of collectors that is dwarfed in comparison to the number of people who would be happy to own a restored book at the right price.

Do you honestly think that there are more people who would NOT buy this book than those who would? And do you honestly believe that this book would sell for LESS money if it were in a blue label slab with a Restoration score of 1 or 2? screwy.gif

15afCGC96Rlabel.jpg

15afCGC96Rfull.jpg

15afCGC96Rback.jpg