• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's all play investment analyst

78 posts in this topic

Speaking of nice Adams covers, I'm thinking JLA #71-100 would qualify for this thread as well. #74 has a Superman/Superman slugfest by Adams on the cover that nicely foreshadows upcoming Infinite Crisis events. #95 is an Adams Jimi Hendrix takeoff, similar to his Beatles takeoff on Batman #222. #98 is a cool black seance cover.

From Adams' site checklist:

JUSTICE LEAGUE (DC)

Covers only - #63(NOT ADAMS. Art by Mike Sekosky), #66(Infantino layout), 67, 70(Infantino layout), 74, 79, 81, 82, 86-89, 91, 92(Infantino layout), 95(partly penciled by Swan), 96, 97, 98, 138, 139

#94 Cover and (November 1971) "Where Strikes Demonfang?" Written by Mike Friedrich, Adams pencils pages 1, 5, 20 and 22

#114 Reprints from various sources shown.

Oh, right, I didn't mean to imply Adams did 'em all-- Just like he didn't do all the Detectives #401-425. thumbsup2.gif

Gee, I'm surprised no one mentioned Watchmen 1 - 12 first printing or Batman: Dark Knight Returns 1 - 4. Both are considered seminal works. You can get either series unslabbed for under $50.00 at 8.0 - 9.0. Watchmen is, IMO, very under valued right now. Pleanty of room for growth. I'm betting on those titles as a long term investment. I want to find them in their highest grade and sit on them for 20 years.

Fun thread. thumbsup2.gif After some thought I'm surprised at my pick because it's *gasp* a modern. But here goes: I like iconic cover images that tend to get burned into the general public's brain, and my pick is one of those. It's design has been used for lots of merchandise and promo work. And...

* It tends to be scarce on eBay and Chuck doesn't have 'em. Both are good supply/demand signs.

* It consistenly sells for around +/- $25 in NM.

* There's only 4 in the CGC census (no 9.8s)

* It's older than people realize, from March 1993. Any heat from Perez's post-crisis relaunch was dipping fast (lower print run) and Valiant owned the '93 buzz.

* It placed #21 on Altlas Comics (acomics.com) "THE 25 ALL-TIME GREATEST COVERS OF AMERICAN COMIC BOOKS"

* There's a 2007 movie in the works.

So my under $50 steady-growth pick is.... Wonder Woman vol.2 #72, cover art by Brian Bolland.

wondwc.jpg

BollandWW72merch.jpg

Fun thread. thumbsup2.gif After some thought I'm surprised at my pick because it's *gasp* a modern. But here goes: I like iconic cover images that tend to get burned into the general public's brain, and my pick is one of those. It's design has been used for lots of merchandise and promo work. And...

* It tends to be scarce on eBay and Chuck doesn't have 'em. Both are good supply/demand signs.

* It consistenly sells for around +/- $25 in NM.

* There's only 4 in the CGC census (no 9.8s)

* It's older than people realize, from March 1993. Any heat from Perez's post-crisis relaunch was dipping fast (lower print run) and Valiant owned the '93 buzz.

* It placed #21 on Altlas Comics (acomics.com) "THE 25 ALL-TIME GREATEST COVERS OF AMERICAN COMIC BOOKS"

* There's a 2007 movie in the works.

So my under $50 steady-growth pick is.... Wonder Woman vol.2 #72, cover art by Brian Bolland.

wondwc.jpg

BollandWW72merch.jpg

Wow - I had no idea that book went for that much (Keith goes looking through his back issues). I would say Miracleman #24 (it books for around 25 -but usually sells for more). It easily the lowest printed issue of the Miracleman run and the last issue (cool Barry Windsor-Smith cover too). For my ultra-darkhorse pick though, I'd pick the A1 Sketchbook Variant that came out last year - it was limited to 500 copies (that's what I've heard from a couple of people) and it has a Miracleman front cover and a Bates back cover.

Speaking of nice Adams covers, I'm thinking JLA #71-100 would qualify for this thread as well. #74 has a Superman/Superman slugfest by Adams on the cover that nicely foreshadows upcoming Infinite Crisis events. #95 is an Adams Jimi Hendrix takeoff, similar to his Beatles takeoff on Batman #222. #98 is a cool black seance cover.

From Adams' site checklist:

JUSTICE LEAGUE (DC)

Covers only - #63(NOT ADAMS. Art by Mike Sekosky), #66(Infantino layout), 67, 70(Infantino layout), 74, 79, 81, 82, 86-89, 91, 92(Infantino layout), 95(partly penciled by Swan), 96, 97, 98, 138, 139

#94 Cover and (November 1971) "Where Strikes Demonfang?" Written by Mike Friedrich, Adams pencils pages 1, 5, 20 and 22

#114 Reprints from various sources shown.

Oh, right, I didn't mean to imply Adams did 'em all-- Just like he didn't do all the Detectives #401-425. thumbsup2.gif

I know, I was just helping folks out with the list that he did.

how about WARRIOR issues with V For Vendetta? There have been articles starting to appear about how the film will capitalize on growing anti-Bush sentiment about, well, everything thats going on.....

You're right - Warrior should be very big this year...this magazine has been long overlooked.

The only reason I would consider this book is because she is a regular member of the X-men now. So assuming they use her more in the future, the books value should go up.

Plus, she creates an alternative for having Wolverine in every title.

I know, I was just helping folks out with the list that he did.

thumbsup2.gif Here's another one of my favorite Adams JLAs. I like his old-school Hawkman look. Too bad they used stock headshots along the left-- it really detracts from Adams' work here. frown.gif

JLA088.JPG

I'll go with any of the 2nd tier DC series #1's, be it Loveless, Jonah Hex, or Testament.

Really? I can't imagine any of those being worth much. Don't get me wrong, I like two of those titles, but I wouldn't recommend them as investments.

Vertigo/DC #1s have a great history of getting quick back issue price bumps, and these 3 #1s aren't likely to have been bought by everyone first go around. Plus, at $3 each, I can see any of them easily hitting $10, a 200%+ price jump . Can't beat that with any older back issue!