• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you were Steve Borock, What would you do?

112 posts in this topic

Concerning the Ewert fallout, et al.

Since the restoration check is arguably the most important service provided by CGC when slabbing an older book, and since this service has suffered greatly lately, and finally since CGC has apparently lost their true resto expert, I would try very hard to get another big name resto expert on staff and working ASAP.

Wonder what it would take to get Matt Nelson or Susan Ciconne (sp?) to move to Florida? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Since the restoration check is arguably the most important service provided by CGC when slabbing an older book, and since this service has suffered greatly lately, and finally since CGC has apparently lost their true resto expert, I would try very hard to get another big name resto expert on staff and working ASAP.

Wonder what it would take to get Matt Nelson or Susan Ciconne (sp?) to move to Florida? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't believe Matt or Susan would make much of a difference - CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration, and in Susan's article in the Overstreet grading guide she states that trimming is probably the most difficult type of restoration to detect. At this point, the scan comparison method appears to be the best way to discover trimming, and while I can't find the quote, I believe Steve previously said they were going to start doing just that.

cicconi.jpg

Stick my head in the sand . . . grin.gif

The question is what would you do not what are you doing now! devil.gif

Hmm... lots of fine dining in the Dallas area. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

contact JIm "We're looking for an in-house comic book and comic art expert......Salary and incentive package commensurate with experience and qualifications. Please e-mail your resume, references and salary history/requirements."

893crossfingers-thumb.gifgossip.gifthumbsup2.giftakeit.gifacclaim.gif

I would recommend that they (1) go back to the old definition of restoration that we used for decades before CGC, namely that ANY detected work done to a comic is considered restoration, even if that detection happens at a later time, and (2) grade books independently, without a curve, regardless of census or age, and (3) have mechanisms in place to guarantee unbiased and blinded grading.

The solution to the problem is easy; implementing it is another issue.

I would recommend that they (1) go back to the old definition of restoration that we used for decades before CGC, namely that ANY detected work done to a comic is considered restoration, even if that detection happens at a later time, and (2) grade books independently, without a curve, regardless of census or age, and (3) have mechanisms in place to guarantee unbiased and blinded grading.
893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif

I don't believe Matt or Susan would make much of a difference - CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration, and in Susan's article in the Overstreet grading guide she states that trimming is probably the most difficult type of restoration to detect. At this point, the scan comparison method appears to be the best way to discover trimming, and while I can't find the quote, I believe Steve previously said they were going to start doing just that.

cicconi.jpg

Hey, you swiped my scan of my grading guide! 893whatthe.gif

I thought for a minute there that you had gotten your copy spiral bound like I had done to mine and I was going to ask you whether you liked it better that way. 27_laughing.gif

cicconi.jpg

I thought for a minute there that you had gotten your copy spiral bound like I had done to mine and I was going to ask you whether you liked it better that way. 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

Nope, just recalled the discussion about detecting trimming and pulled up the link!

27_laughing.gif

Nope, just recalled the discussion about detecting trimming and pulled up the link!

Well, as long as you're agreeing with me, you can swipe whatever scans you want. yay.gif

Wouldn't want this to get buried under a lot of chit chat(in place of dreaded greamlins)

Wouldn't want this to get buried under a lot of chit chat(in place of dreaded greamlins)

The first point is valid, and the 2nd point is arguable (I don't believe they grade based on the census, but there are definitely differences in grading GA and SA/BA/MA books due moreso to the differences in the physical construction of the book than any "curve").

However, CGC does "(3) have mechanisms in place to guarantee unbiased and blinded grading". Steve has said time and time again that every book gets graded based on it's own merits, and not based upon the submitter. Who does not believe Steve's statements to be true? confused-smiley-013.gif

Concerning grading based on the census, Steve and CGC didn't know me from Adam in 2000, but yet over the last 5 years I have submitted dozens of books that garnered the top-census grade at the time (although some may no longer hold that distinction, they did when I got them graded)! grin.gif

Kind of a tough situation because if they annouce the hiring of a new restoration expert its almost an acknowledgement that their current staff are not up to snuff (inclduing Steve). I think people would be concerned that their submission over the past few months might not have been reviewed properly such as the JIM book, etc.

I was just pointing out that some recent complaints against graemlins (coming from certain individuals) bogging down the substance of a discussion, and yet what we just witnessed had the same result yet without the icons. Irony.

I was just pointing out that some recent complaints against graemlins (coming from certain individuals) bogging down the substance of a discussion, and yet what we just witnessed had the same result yet without the icons. Irony.

Mica, do you have a problem with me you'd like to discuss in a non-passive-aggressive manner?

Mica, do you have a problem with me you'd like to discuss in a non-passive-aggressive manner?

screwy.gif

Its those damn Captain Americas. They p1ss me off too... frustrated.gifinsane.gif

screwy.gif

27_laughing.gif