• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lunch with Frank and Ellie

21 posts in this topic

Went down to see the Frazetta's today. Frank is feeling great and has completed his first left-handed painting. In addition, Ellie is planning on putting out a new book of Frank's artwork this spring which focuses on a series of anatomic studies of the human body which Frank did back in 1956 and 1957. These have not been published before so this should provide Frazetta fans with some new material to drool over. Ellie let me flip through the originals today and they are quite striking! The museum is undergoing some minor repairs and upkeep over the winter months but Ellie is looking forward to opening the museum up again in the spring. Once again, I was simply in awe at the artwork that I saw today.

I have asked this before but never got a response. If I went to the museum and called in advance is there any possible way I could meet Mr. Frazetta, maybe talk to him for a few minutes about art and life. Possibly even get my Vampirella # 1 or Death Dealer # 1 signed by him. Frank Frazetta is a legend. He is one of the best painters of the 20th century. Actually in the top 3 only being out ranked by Salivador Dali, and Norman Rockwell. This would mean alot to me.

Wow, you have him in the same rank as Dali. Well, at least you don't have him ranked with Jackson Pollock. God, I hate that guys work. Well, far as realism(though Dali was a surrealist, he could do realism), I would have to say you have him pecked pretty close. To remember that Rockwells work had historical context is really what puts him at the top. Dali as the paragon of surrealism, in my opinion has stronger technique but his works are not as historically significant. Frank is indeed up there but his talent can't really be differentiated between the two. Technique though, yep he's got the goods. So, time will have to tell where Frank sits. Alex Ross has surprisingly good technique. I just wish he would take some non-comic projects. It would be nice to see more Rockwellesque art from him.

Well, far as realism(though Dali was a surrealist, he could do realism), I would have to say you have him pecked pretty close.

I've heard a lot of ways to describe/classify Frazetta's work, but "realistic" has never been one of them. His art is extremely stylized and takes plenty of liberties which depart from reality, particularly in the way of anatomy. That's neither inherently good nor bad; his style is his own and would never be confused with that of an illustrator whose style actually could properly be described as "realistic", such as Boris Vallejo.

As for Frazetta, Dali and Rockwell being the Big Three of 20th century painting? yeahok.gif

Well, far as realism(though Dali was a surrealist, he could do realism), I would have to say you have him pecked pretty close.

I've heard a lot of ways to describe/classify Frazetta's work, but "realistic" has never been one of them. His art is extremely stylized and takes plenty of liberties which depart from reality, particularly in the way of anatomy. That's neither inherently good nor bad; his style is his own and would never be confused with that of an illustrator whose style actually could properly be described as "realistic", such as Boris Vallejo.

As for Frazetta, Dali and Rockwell being the Big Three of 20th century painting? yeahok.gif

Long as you count, the asbstract impressionist and minimalist 893censored-thumb.gif out we're cool. Frazetta, Dali and Rockwell are up there though. And I don't define an artist from the 19th(say Cezanne, Gaugin or Matisse) as 20th century. Now, if you want to count Picasso in, fine but his painting's impact were more from making a statement than technique. Oh, yeah. Big Oil sucks. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifgrin.gif

As much as I like Frazetta, he's practically unknown outside of sci-fi and comics.

Agreed. Seriously, more art scholars probably know James Bama, if only for his western paintings. I'm not saying it's right, but Frazetta is niched as a commercial fantasy artist and will never have the respect of a "real" artist.

As much as I like Frazetta, he's practically unknown outside of sci-fi and comics.

Agreed. Seriously, more art scholars probably know James Bama, if only for his western paintings. I'm not saying it's right, but Frazetta is niched as a commercial fantasy artist and will never have the respect of a "real" artist.

When has respect been a prerequisite to a being a real artist. I believe Cezanne is a really good example.

I have asked this before but never got a response. If I went to the museum and called in advance is there any possible way I could meet Mr. Frazetta, maybe talk to him for a few minutes about art and life. Possibly even get my Vampirella # 1 or Death Dealer # 1 signed by him. Frank Frazetta is a legend. He is one of the best painters of the 20th century. Actually in the top 3 only being out ranked by Salivador Dali, and Norman Rockwell. This would mean alot to me.
I think Frank charges for his Autograph ($200 I think???)...pretty sure he has a steady stream of customer's even at this price...he does have an Ultra-cool signature,and I have even considered sending him some ec's to sign at that price...go to frankfrazetta.com to get the breakdown.