• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

look at the batman 1 7.5 in heritage it is already with the BP at 46k.

19 posts in this topic

Current Bid: $40,000 ($46,000.00 w/Buyer's Premium (BP)

1.I am a little upset because i dont know if it is being artificially pumped.

2. It is already near my max and it hasnt even reached the 12th when they post the reserve if there is one. i dont think it needs a reserve now.

Hell it may be pressed and trimmed for all I know.

So, just how close is it to your max? I don't want to bid over it by accident. devil.gif

Just kidding, those books are so out of my arena, it's not even funny. If I could bid on just one book in this auction, it'd be the MAD #1 9.8 W they have up. I think that book would be safe from the trimming pressing game since it's from the Gaines files, but who really know anymore.

So, just how close is it to your max? I don't want to bid over it by accident. devil.gif

Just kidding, those books are so out of my arena, it's not even funny. If I could bid on just one book in this auction, it'd be the MAD #1 9.8 W they have up. I think that book would be safe from the trimming pressing game since it's from the Gaines files, but who really know anymore.

I think it is fair to say the #1 and the Gaines in general are not trimmed. Pressed? Hopefully not.

Anyway, I am waiting to see you my #1 CGC 9.8 so get some money! makepoint.gif

I think it is fair to say the #1 and the Gaines in general are not trimmed. Pressed? Hopefully not.

Hey Mark, can you just hold yours and describe how perfect and awesome it is for me, so I can then take out my 3.0 , hold it, and visualize yours? hail.gif

Hey Mark, can you just hold yours and describe how perfect and awesome it is for me, so I can then take out my 3.0 , hold it, and visualize yours? hail.gif

It is GORGEOUS!!!! I love Mad. I have so many fond memories of reading those initial 15 or issues when they would reprint them in the 1970s issues. When I saw it for sale last year, I couldn't resist. It was one of those books I bought due to nostaglia.

I can't believe this current auction though. Makes absolutely NO sense to me for Heritage to auction off not only ANOTHER CGC 9.8, but also a CGC 9.6 at the same time AND a CGC 7.5, and 2 CGC 7.0s (including the Bethlehem copy!).

Not sure what Halperin is thinking. He owns a huge EC collection and one of the 3 CGC 9.8s (unless this is his). I would be surprised, though I am hopeful, that the CGC 9.8 will reach what I paid for it last year. The other copies, especially the 9.6, will dilute the price. Stupid. frustrated.gifscrewy.gif

Yes, the only book i've ever won from a Heritage Live auction was a Mad #22 cgc 9.2. I threw out a bunch of bids, but all but that one got nulled when the BINs appeared. I feel like I really got one that slipped through for $375. I think they have one up now but want a lot more for it.

Mad was my first true passion in collecting. I've collected Mad and Mad memorabilia since I was 10. I remember when #1 guided for $300 and thinking at that price I'd never own one. 27_laughing.gif. I got real lucky though and bought a guy's original owner collection of issues #1-100 (-5, 2 in the #60s and two in the 70s), so 95 issues plus issues 1-10 of Panic (he just threw those in). I got him down from $1800 to $1200 and didn't have to pay shipping cause my friend did the transaction for me in CO. The cool thing is I sold the lesser doubles from that for $780 on eBay. My #1 and #2 graded out at 3.0 (part of my freebies for joining).

Please tell me you're talking about a comic! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

Please tell me you're talking about a comic! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifhail.gif

I set myself up for that one!

The 9.8 on Heritage is listed as copy #6 out of 12 from the Gaines files while the 9.6 is listed as copy #3 out of 12...does this mean that the 9.6 copy was considered by Gaines & Overstreet to be superior to the copy slabbed 9.8 by CGC? If so, shouldn't I be going for the 9.6 and saving a lot of cash? confused-smiley-013.gif

The 9.8 on Heritage is listed as copy #6 out of 12 from the Gaines files while the 9.6 is listed as copy #3 out of 12...does this mean that the 9.6 copy was considered by Gaines & Overstreet to be superior to the copy slabbed 9.8 by CGC? If so, shouldn't I be going for the 9.6 and saving a lot of cash? confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe the 9.6 suffered a ding or a fingerprint or some other near-invisible defect since it was originally assessed by Overstreet way back when the Gaines books were released? It doesn't take much to drop a 9.8 to a 9.6.

Good luck ronm3. It is a nice looking book. I was thinking the same as Batman fan. 50k was my estimate on the book too. Wish I had the cash to even consider it.

Maybe the 9.6 suffered a ding or a fingerprint or some other near-invisible defect since it was originally assessed by Overstreet way back when the Gaines books were released? It doesn't take much to drop a 9.8 to a 9.6.

Well, with the reserve on the 9.6 at $25k, I think the point is moot. Might as well be going for the 9.8 for that kind of cash. tonofbricks.gif

Well, with the reserve on the 9.6 at $25k, I think the point is moot. Might as well be going for the 9.8 for that kind of cash. tonofbricks.gif

The Gaines file copies in this auction, as usual, will end up being RNM.