• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good choice or Bad choice ...?!

46 posts in this topic

And BTW, why is somebody who buys a USM 1 White a "sucker" while somebody who buys a VF ASM 13 an "astute investor"? I wouldn't buy either for long term comic investment.

Nice piece of exageration to make your point.

No one has said there is such an extreme difference between the two. Personally I would prefer the ASM #13 as it has a proven track record and is a more stable LONG-TERM book. The original poster's question was regarding the long haul, not flipping in the near future.

ASM 13 is a key? Since when?

see below

Also features first app of Mysterio, one of Spidey's mainstay villains (and possible movie star one day).

I know the guy wears a fish-bowl on his head, but hey, in Hollywood they can work miracles. grin.giftongue.gif

Wow - the definition of key has changed. Maybe this is just me, but off the top of my head, the major "keys" in the ASM run to 50 would be 1, 3, 5, 6, 14, 17, 25, 31 (now), 39, 40, 42 and 50. I just don't think Mysterio is in the top echelon.

Isn't #5 the Dr. Doom issue?

Yeah it is, so why is that a MAJOR key? I could list 10 other issues in the first 50 that have more importance to Spidey collectors than #5.

I consider these MINOR keys (#5 is not even that) 2, 4, 9, 13, 15, 16, 20, 28, 33 & 41.

Doctor Doom might be a big deal to FF fans but it is not his first app and to be honest it one of the worst Spidey issues of Stan & Steve's run.

Wow I missed a lot, here - I didn't want panties to get into a bunch over this.

ASM 13 in VF+ (nice book) but I would not "invest" $800 into it, as it would probably take a long time (talking years) to recoup that or make a profit off a VF+ ASM 13. How long would it take me to sell that to someone for $1600? Who would pay $1600 for a VF ASM 13? Most SA people I know from these boards go for 9.2 and up and have the mooney to spend it. Those that don't have the money for HG Silver, like myself, chase the Lower grade VG/FN- copies for readers and to fill holes. However, I can take a $500 CGC 9.8 USM 1 white variant now and sell for $1000 come movie time (a short term flip) - which is the better investment?

If we consider what Gene (delekkerste) has said and not assume that the price/value of these books will rise exponentially, a VF+ ASM 13 has less room to grow in the same space of time that a CGC 9.8 USM 1 has, in this current time frame.

If you are looking for long term investment, maybe the ASM 13 VF+ will be good enoguh for you. I just don't know when and who I'd be able to dump that on for $1600, to justify my initial $800 investment now.

There are a lot of these USMs on the census andmore will be graded, but for the time being the CGC 9.8's STILL command a high premium, enough to justify dropping some cash on it now for the short term flip.

If the original poster was referring to USM 1 white as a long term investment, then I apologize for misconstruing this whole thread and probably confusing some. I still don't know if $800 is a good price to pay on an ASM 13 in VF+ or lower condition. It is a hard book to find now, since it is not a recognized KEY (even if Mysterio is your favorite supervillain), and there is no incentive to move this book thru CGC right now - no Mysterio movie or rumor that I know of.

Great points made in this thread - summarizing my points:

1) Short term flip - USM 1 white CGC 9.8 is better if you can get it for around $500 to flip; there are people out there paying $800 for it; might not be on eBay but offline through comicboards like these , you can find them.

2) Long term flip - too early for USM 1 to be decided if it is a long term book - there is the risk factor. If you got one early on, why not hold on to it for the long term - you got it for $20 bucks. No big deal. Buying one now at $800 in the hopes of doubling your money - probably not a good idea. At movie hype peak, winter holidays, or tax refund season, you may be able to squeeze $1000 out of it, (currently) and if the $200 is worth it for your time and risk - go for it.

ASM 13 VF+ (raw?) @ $800 - no way in heck would I drop that change on this book since NO ONE is buying this book at this condition and at this price. People who want this book can afford true Near Mint; people who want this book but can't afford it will be chasing G/VG copies just to fill holes and save their bank accounts; I know I personally would not spend $800 on a book just to fill a hole. I spend $800 on a book - I'll be getting $1600 from it at some point in time or trade books for an equivalent value. With this particular issue, that is a pipe dream, so I will not indulge the notion of buying an ASM 13 VF+ for $800 - EVER...

You guys have to remember that I'm about Modern books and what I've made off them. Maybe if I play around in all grades of Silver Age, I might develop a better feel for what you guys are saying here, but even reading some of other forumites' opinions on Silver Age Marvels, this particular VF+ ASM 13 maybe one to pass on.

Try a VF+ CGC of an Amazing Spider-man 13 on E-bay for $800+ , that my Bro just bought the other day.......

CGC 8.5 VF+ ASM 13 's on ebay: last one sold in FEB 2003 $766.75; last one before that was in Oct 2002 ($678); avg for past year and a half at this grade: $695.30

So $800 is too much even, to pay for this book in VF+

People who want this book can afford true Near Mint; people who want this book but can't afford it will be chasing G/VG copies just to fill holes and save their bank accounts

This is exactly my take on the choice. Basically, always buy top grade with the max you want to spend, not a lower grade copy of the book you cant afford in HG. That is, if you have $800, buy a book that sells for 800 in 9.4, or better.....and NOT a $800 copy of a $10,000 book.

Assuming you havent overpaid in crazy hysterical times, your HG book will move up with time and be a desirable book that is easier to sell...while the poor low grade "key" may be your "pride and joy" forever, long after you'd like to unload it.

That is, if you have $800, buy a book that sells for 800 in 9.4, or better.....and NOT a $800 copy of a $10,000 book.

It depends WHAT book you are talking about and when you buy it. HG books do not guarantee returns on investment and you are often more likely to get a buyer for a lower grade KEY than a HG common.

You really think so? I guess you're right--- it depends on which two books are being compared. Some books are SO key that even a 5.0 can find a buyer; and some super HG are just unimportant issues. Is that what you mean?

Some books are SO key that even a 5.0 can find a buyer; and some super HG are just unimportant issues. Is that what you mean?

Thats it in a nutshell.

Books like Hulk #181 & ASM #14 (many more examples) can be sold at close to guide or higher in just about ANY grade.

On the other hand HG copies of a lot of late Silver Marvels are often a tough sell.

>>Assuming you havent overpaid in crazy hysterical times, your HG book will move up with time and be a desirable book that is easier to sell...while the poor low grade "key" may be your "pride and joy" forever, long after you'd like to unload it.

You're extrapolating previous trends into the future, which is usually an erroneous call in times of mass speculation... like today.

That advice would have been useful..... 7 years ago. grin.gif

I will take a ASM #13 in VF for $800 than a NM/MT copy of that piece of junk new comic anyday.

Why, because History does repeat itself (ALL THE TIME).

While I can't guarantee that the ASM #13 will go up in value much in the next ten years, I will bet that there is a 99% chance that the other book goes down in value in 10 years.

Apparently none of the people spending huge amounts of money on Modern books, lost there buts (and businesses) on the Valiant crazy ten years ago. I myself picked up HG (but not NM) copies of Silver Age keys which have double or tripled in price since then.

And if you think NM books always go up, guess again. Just do some research on Heritage's site and you will see a lot of the same books sell a year later for less than what it sold for the first time. AND I MEAN THE EXACT SAME BOOK.

AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE, the word "HYPE" is a bad thing if you are a BUYER!!!!