• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good choice or Bad choice ...?!

46 posts in this topic

I Will Fiddle While the Graded Comic Market BURNS

This is one good reason why the market will burn when auctions like this are looked upon as good inventments. I would rather shell out some good coin for a High Grade S. A. Amazing Spider-man then this trash....yuck?!

Here is my point ====> Ultimate Spiderman 1 White CGC 9.8 Spider-man

confused.gifcrazy.giftongue.gifblush.gifooo.gif

That's the USM #1 White Variant. Two Raw copies of that sold for $225-$250 recently.

He's using the same formula for CGC'd comics that Silver Age people are using except that he's using it on a book from 2000. (I.E. He's tripling or quadrupling the price.)

Whether you guys agree or not, this seller is for real and has that USM 1 CGC 9.8. He has a well deserved feedback and is a good seller from Brooklyn NY. I would believe him if he says his scanner is down. I've bought from him before and had seen decent scans for his product.

As for the value of USM 1 White...that is about AVERAGE for the USM 1 White in CGC 9.8 condition. Many sellers post too high of a price and it is not met, but if you want to keep this and want it now, expect to pay $700. If someone lists it lower, IE BIN $500 - you can bet I'd snap it up and flip it for more. I think that is the current trend with the USM 1 White - there are too many already on the census. 9.6's are trading around $350- $400, but $250 would be a more reasonable price. Many of the raws out there are "damaged" goods, otherwise every seller of that book will take the chance to get it graded for $20 and be able to sell it for at least over $200 if it comes back at 9.4 and up...

any lower prices acheived on this book in CGC 9.8 are due to listings by newbie, sellers naive to the potential value of this book - giving false hope to those decriers that believe this book is worth less, theus they can find it for less.

remember to apply CGC 9.6 and up to all statements above....current demand is high enough to maintain the "exorbitant" prices on this book. Movie madness...

If someone lists it lower, IE BIN $500 - you can bet I'd snap it up and flip it for more. I think that is the current trend with the USM 1 White - there are too many already on the census.

If I was a betting man and the longivity between two issues (Amazing Spider-man #13)-Silverage and this Variant Ultimate Spider-man #1. I would assume that the older issue at a HG would have better investment capability in the long run then an under proven issue like that for that price of $800 and up??

I would assume that the older issue at a HG would have better investment capability in the long run then an under prove issue like that for that price of $800 and up??

Of course it would. No question.

But Darth's not talking about long-term, but buying the USM White and then flipping it to some suckers for easy cash. I sincerely doubt even he believes that the current high prices on USM issues will hold their value for years to come.

I would assume that the older issue at a HG would have better investment capability in the long run then an under proven issue like that for that price of $800 and up??

I would agree there but who would sell me a High Grade (read 9.4 and up) ASM 13 for $800? An unproven issue it may be but for sellers (like myself) that have bought these back when they were $5 - $50 on the avreage and actually had held 3-5 slabbed CGC 9.8s and around 10 CGC 9.6's from those...I'd say that has been a better investment than one ASM 13, even at $800... Isee prices that these whites are going for now and I can just kick my self for selling "too low"...

I sincerely doubt even he believes that the current high prices on USM issues will hold their value for years to come.

I will hold on to one CGC 9.8 copy until I find (if I find) one higher. I would say sell the rest and spread the love, while the loving is good! It is still too early to discount this particular variant. Even lower grades unslabbed will fetch you around $75 - $100 since not too many are selling them that low.

>>An unproven issue it may be but for sellers (like myself) that have bought these back when they were $5 - $50 on the avreage and actually had held 3-5 slabbed CGC 9.8s and around 10 CGC 9.6's from those...I'd say that has been a better investment than one ASM 13

Ummmm Darth, we're not referring to those who got in on the ground floor, and then sold, but the suck... er... collectors who are currently spending $700-$800 for a CGC 9.8.

Do you really quantify that as a good investment?

Of course it would. No question.

Once again, if you can get a HG copy of ASM 13 for $800, then yes, I'll take some of that action. How many fit this HG? only 13 on the census at 9.4 and up.... and last I've seen 9.4's go for $6050, or the Northland 9.4 copy that went for oddly less at $5520?

Now I can get a USM 1 CGC 9.8 at $800...As a Spidey collector, I'll spend that $800 on what is available and at a higher grade.

Don't get me wrong, ASM 13 pops up for $800 and is CGC 9.4 and up, I'm there!

Do you really quantify that as a good investment?

No, JC - I agree with you there. I would pay $500 for it tops at this grade and sell it offline to folks that are willing to pay $800 for it...

Now I can get a USM 1 CGC 9.8 at $800...As a Spidey collector, I'll spend that $800 on what is available and at a higher grade.

No you couldn't get an ASM #13 in 9.4 for $800. I took the question to mean the highest grade copy available for that money, probably a VF. Still a better long term choice than a CGC 9.8 modern IMO.

I took the question to mean the highest grade copy available for that money, probably a VF.

Just taking what was said here and in the new OS guide regarding lower grade Silvers being common since this is what is found in almost every Joe Shomoe Collector's boxes. Compound that with Spidey being highly collected back then, I would not "invest" in lower grade, even VF - mid grade - Silver unless I just wanted a reading copy, definitely not at $800. I have an Essentials for that purpose which cost me $10 tongue.gif The USM 1 modern highgrade may be unproven but you probably could buy safely with the intent to flip it around movie time to make a little profit...like I said tho, my risk threshold is $500 for it; others maybe able to afford to let more than $500 ride on it.

For some issues like the AS-M that I refered to earlier as a HG to me and which I can offer is an 8.5 to a 9.2. To me they will still increase in value maybe not as high as a 9.4 or 9.6. But to have a collector or invester to spend that much for a USM #1 for $800 I don't agree, that money could go for a proven issue like any key out there Silverage or earlier. cool.gif

Just to spread a little love here -- I agree with Brother Darth on this one. An $800 ASM 13 is probably going to be a VF copy. I'd rather drop the $500 on the USM 1, and sell it for $1000. That's where its going.

And BTW, why is somebody who buys a USM 1 White a "sucker" while somebody who buys a VF ASM 13 an "astute investor"? I wouldn't buy either for long term comic investment.

Just taking what was said here and in the new OS guide regarding lower grade Silvers being common since this is what is found in almost every Joe Shomoe Collector's boxes.

ASM #13 is a particularly tough book to find in grade, one of the toughest in the whole run. It is not easy to find even in VF and is highly sought after by collectors. Also features first app of Mysterio, one of Spidey's mainstay villains (and possible movie star one day). The book still has room to move IMO.

USM #1 for $800 I don't agree, that money could go for a proven issue like any key out there Silverage or earlier.

Which 8.5 to 9.2 slabbed Silverage or earlier key are you selling me for $800?