• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good choice or Bad choice ...?!

46 posts in this topic

I will take a ASM #13 in VF for $800 than a NM/MT copy of that piece of junk new comic anyday

I must agree with your opinion.Time and time again that show that whatever go's up so fast will come down after the hype.ASM 40+ year's and going strong,USM 2+ years ? only time will tell??This is only my opinion and I say it as more of a collector then speculator.

I will take a ASM #13 in VF for $800 than a NM/MT copy of that piece of junk new comic anyday.

OK - to each his own, but $800 is DEFINITELY too much for even a slabbed ASM 13 in VF+; I would shoot for $650 as a more reasonable buy price for this book. And that is a keeper; no flipping that anytime soon. ( unless Ultimate Mysterio comes out in conjunction with announcement of Spidey 3 starring Vin Diesel as Mysterio) smile.gif

Why, because History does repeat itself (ALL THE TIME).

Yes, but some KEY books continue to hold their value from all eras, even Modern/Late Bronze (ASM 300, Hulk 340, ASM 129) Who's to say that Ultimate Spider-Man 1 White variant is not THE book from this Ultimate Age to experience this phenomenon, while the other hyped stuff (30 Days of Night, Batman 608) is the stuff to go the Valiant route?

While I can't guarantee that the ASM #13 will go up in value much in the next ten years, I will bet that there is a 99% chance that the other book goes down in value in 10 years.

It's a risk I'm willing to take since I don't think that the chances the book will SIGNIFICANTLY go down in value in the next 2 years. Who said I was holding onto a $500- $800 copy for that long? Unless you really want the book and don't care what it does on the roller coaster ride we all fondly know as the Comic Market, then I'd think twice before sinking $800 on ANY book from these genres, Modern High Grade or Silver Mid grade.

Apparently none of the people spending huge amounts of money on Modern books, lost there buts (and businesses) on the Valiant crazy ten years ago. I myself picked up HG (but not NM) copies of Silver Age keys which have double or tripled in price since then.

Valiant craze was for another line of books apart from the Big 2 companies (The only 2 real comic companies, IMO, and then again we can even cut that down to ONE real GOOD company) that I thankfully avoided. Can't really compare what is going on, IMO, with Ultimate spider-Man and Valiant; one is an established fan favorite since the mid 60's that is still published by a major comic company and Valiant was just a flashy line (sorry Valiant fans) trying to revive some old has been Gold Key [!@#%^&^] in new books and gimmick covers and introducing new superheroes in a time where the community was inundated with [!@#%^&^] titles. Also dealers were not smart up maintaining price integrity for the books, from that story where one dealer unloaded cases of what was being traded at $100 a pop before , at $10 a piece at a con. Maybe they just didn't have the balls to hold on to it and felt the need to get out, causing a widespread panic and people found out really how fast a hoarded million copy print run could be put on the market. I don't see that happening with Ultimate Spider-Man.

And if you think NM books always go up, guess again. Just do some research on Heritage's site and you will see a lot of the same books sell a year later for less than what it sold for the first time. AND I MEAN THE EXACT SAME BOOK.

Never thought that NM will always go up. It will peak and the trick is to capitalize on your investment just as the book peaks. Don't get caught holding an $800 book past its prime (Modern or Silver) as it'll take you swallowing a $400 loss to get rid of the dead weight.

AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE, the word "HYPE" is a bad thing if you are a BUYER!!!!

As FlavaFlav has always masterfully said.... smile.gif

I believe we actually agree.

I wish I had the balls to buy modern books and flip, but after making literally $100,000' s in the stock market just to lose most of it, my testicles have shrunk (apparently never to return). ooo.gif

Also, I don't think anyone was saying they would absolutely pay $800 for ASM #13 in VF. I think (as I was) implying, I would rather spend $800 on a nice Silver-Age book at fair market value than on a new "hyped" comic book.

One last point, people do buy books in all grades. Silver-Age / Golden Age books in VF are highly collected. Of course it all depends on the price. A nice Silver-Age book CGC VF goes for 50% of NM, while a true CGC NM goes for 300% of NM.

They will both sell. Your profit is based on what you paid.

(The only 2 real comic companies, IMO, and then again we can even cut that down to ONE real GOOD company)

Ahem...Darth...and who put out your fave, Danger Girl comics? Surely they must count for something!

and who put out your fave, Danger Girl comics?

It started out under Image then DC bought out Cliffhanger and that included the artists J. Scott Campbell, Brandon Choi, Joe Madureira and Cliffhanger has been a part of Lee's Wildstorm branch of DC ever since....