• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need a little help with a Fox Giant..

6 posts in this topic

I have a Fox Giant Variety Comics nn that I've been looking through. Holy moley this is a thick book. Overstreet (2004) notes: Jungle Joe, My Secret Affair (with Harrison and Wood art), Crimes by Women and My Story.

I see straight out that the first story in the book is a Horror story with the Black Tarantula. It has a super-cool full page splash halfway through of a demon eating handfulls of people. As a matter of fact, the contents of this book does not match the Overstreet description at all. I think it's safe to say that the content must differ between issues, as many times these giants were made from left over or unsold interiors.

We have: Black Tarantula Horror story (an epic 12 pages), Jungle Jo (3 stories, the first one reprinted without its splash page, since it was probably on the inside cover of the oringinal), My Love Memoirs(3 stories, same deal with the first splash), Romeo Tubbs (Same deal).

So, the contents of this book is really the interiors of 4 books. Jungle Joe, My Love Memoirs, and Romeo Tubbs. The 4th I cannot identify, but the Horror story is so cool, I'm sure someone will know it. What title was the Black Tarantula in?

Thanks for your indulgence! You Fox-hounds! :-)

1063786-foxg.jpg

1063786-foxg.jpg.99383aa59e9c76e351e56ea4b03d95cb.jpg

I've got a slabbed CGC 6.0 of this book. Thanks for letting me know what's in your copy, I may never know about mine. lol

I have so many other comics to read, that cracking this slab is not a priority.

I have a Fox Giant Variety Comics nn that I've been looking through. Holy moley this is a thick book. Overstreet (2004) notes: Jungle Joe, My Secret Affair (with Harrison and Wood art), Crimes by Women and My Story.

I see straight out that the first story in the book is a Horror story with the Black Tarantula. It has a super-cool full page splash halfway through of a demon eating handfulls of people. As a matter of fact, the contents of this book does not match the Overstreet description at all. I think it's safe to say that the content must differ between issues, as many times these giants were made from left over or unsold interiors.

We have: Black Tarantula Horror story (an epic 12 pages), Jungle Jo (3 stories, the first one reprinted without its splash page, since it was probably on the inside cover of the oringinal), My Love Memoirs(3 stories, same deal with the first splash), Romeo Tubbs (Same deal).

So, the contents of this book is really the interiors of 4 books. Jungle Joe, My Love Memoirs, and Romeo Tubbs. The 4th I cannot identify, but the Horror story is so cool, I'm sure someone will know it. What title was the Black Tarantula in?

Thanks for your indulgence! You Fox-hounds! :-)

The Black Tarantula story comes from A Feature Presentation #5 (#1):

5a.gif

The two most common variants of this book that I have seen contain stories from A Feature Presentation 5(1), Blue Beetle, Jungle Jo, and My Story _OR_ from Jungle Jo, My Secret Affair, Crimes by Women, and My Story.

There are probably 20 or so variations... whatever didn't sell and was returned got repackaged. The general rule is that books containing Fox heroes (Blue Beetle, Phantom Lady, Green Mask, etc.) have a higher value.

Now we are talking. I knew this was familiar. This story was reprinted in Startling Terror Tales 11 along with the famous LB Cole Spider cover!

Thank you for all the information, 'mystery' solved. Here is your reward! :-)

1063980-foxg_splash_tn.jpg

1063980-foxg_splash_tn.jpg.f6db5845141187b6ef1509b00d1f9197.jpg

Mine's got interiors of Jungle Jo, Famous Crimes, My Secrete Romance, & Crime Incorporated...same issue with 1st splash page missing from each comic, here is my favorite splash page from the book------>

foxgiant.jpg