• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Human Torch #1, er #2 - Now THATS a book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49 posts in this topic

Who has enough spare money to buy books like that? I see auctions like that and I think what must these people do for a living.

I think the same thing. One would think that $50,000 comic books are even beyond the budget of most doctors, lawyers and other high paying -- but "normal" -- jobs.

I can only conclude that there are a decent number of collectors who make sick money in the entertainment industry, Wall Street, etc.

Bear in mind the article about the 35 year old guy that used to write for Seinfeld. He was playing around with $50,000 pieces of OA like I buy $50 midgrade ECs. There's probably a lot more like him. Look at all the 5 figure books sold in each Heritage auction... it sure as hell ain't accountants, IT guys and civil servants buying those books.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe this book sold about 3 years ago on Heritage for 70K. This will be a good test case for HG GA books. I think it will break the 70K mark. This book is a book to own, imho, as it is gorgeous.

Do you have some HG GA books to pump and dump as well, KK? confused-smiley-013.gif

I can't over the $7500 BP. Wow!

Baby Halperin needs new shoes.

tongue.gif

Christ. I haven't spent that much on shoes in my life, total, for me and my daughter combined, plus pants, and shirts, and....

Baby Halperin must have some killer shoes. grin.gif

dont go there!!!! and I dont think too many people would put thi sbook on the short list of surefire long term nestegg investments.

You never know. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

True, worse investments have been made, but this would be a bad one IMO.

Perhaps alot of those high value books are bought as a nest egg? one single large purchase to store away ready for the grandkids or retirement what ever comes first.

I'm sure there are some people that do this. I'd rather not bet my retirement on a highly volatile collectible's market that God knows where it will be in 30 years. Heaven forbid a staple starts to corrode in the slab... there goes half of my retirement fund!

At one time, postcards of silent film stars were all the rage. If one invested in them at the height of their popularity as a "retirement fund," that person would have died penniless and destitute. Imagine the schmucks that "invested" in Mark McGuire rookie cards 10 years ago because it was a "sure thing" that would never go down in value. Hello Barry Bonds and steriod scandals -- goodbye investment.

If someone really wanted to invest in something, but didn't trust the stock market, buy gold, not funnybooks that are slowly self-destructing in their shells.

All this, plus if I ever mentioned "comics" and "investment" in the same sentence, my wife would have me committed. tongue.gif

thats not what I was saying.... without getting offtrack or back on THAT track, if you know what I mean. I just wouldnt choose HUMAN TORCH #1 as th eone book to pin my investment future on. I dont think it will be worth too much more in ten years than it selld for this weekend.

Action 1 yes.

Detective 27 yes.

thats all I meant. "Investing' in comics is like investing in anything that contains specific choices. Which book. What grade etc. choices. Comics per se might be a fine investment.. they might suck....all depends on what you buy. Same as anything bought with an eye for increased value over time.

Or maybe comics're all played out including the two I mentioned. Who knows.

Amano is 100% correct.

I would not bet my investment future on this book either.

The Human Torch does not transend the hobby like Superman or Batman and even Spiderman.Its a great book but it will never explode in value like the other 3 guys.Im not saying it wont go up,but it will crawl up.

I am not knocking the book,But a better investment to me would be his 1st appearence.Anyway its a great book for the right price.