• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Was Talking to a Sports Card Guy Over the Holidays

71 posts in this topic

My quick take:

I have seen and do see similar trends in both comics and sports cards. I always felt safer with comics however, due to the fact that a player can come along and be hot for awhile or get into a scandel then disappear whereas say Spider-Man or Superman have been around awhile and will continue to be around awhile...and are less likely to get arrested for domestic battery, steroid use and marijuana possession.

My bro in law has the largest card inventory in the USA. He said the same things you said but he said that 5 years ago.

Then your bro in law is a crackhead.. seriously.

Five years ago CGC was just ramping up and values were only starting to hit high levels, and as we all know it takes at least 4 years (hence my ill-fated 2004 prediction) and probably longer for the graded fad to pass. I'm the biggest bear there is, and 2004 and around 4 years was my guess - I couldn't even imagine using January 2001 as my start date. screwy.gif

2002 and 2003 were banner years for CGC product, so for your bro in law to suggest that as of January 2001, things were going to melt down, then I'll let that statement of stupidity just stand on its own. 27_laughing.gif

JC I asked him 5 years ago when CGC started to predict what might happen to us. He didn't think the meltdown would happen right away I think I wasn't clear on that.

Comic collecting and selling has never been better in my opinion. I bro in law is a big guy and I may send him your post for calling him a crackhead and stupid.

Hi, first post, so bear with me.

I chose this topic as from my POV, it touches on many topics that I find myself thinking about as I return to the hobby after 35 years or so.

I grew up with the Marvel comics of the last 60's and early 70's. I bought 20 & 25 cent comics and older comics for 10 cents at the used book stores. I loved the stories, characters and art.

I came back into the hobby about 2 years ago. Wow, what changes! New comics prices were $2-5, and the paper and style had also changed dramatically. I quickly started searching the net for comic sites and tried to learn as much as possible about what had gone on in my absence. I found the OPG and bought a copy. I went back through my older comics and wondered if they were worth anything to anybody but me. I have tried E-Bay and a number of the larger "net" dealers. I have bought, sold, lurked, and read as much as I could on these boards.

Ok, enough of that...

My question is this. In terms of the modern market, if kids are not the ones buying, and people that are buying are paying $2-5 for raw and almost $30 for slabbed copies, and if we believe and agree that in the long term there is very little investment value in modern books, why did the industry have a banner 2006 in terms of sales? Is everyone 25 and up just buying to read??

This issue has more than likley been the subject of multiple posts in the past and if so, could someone send the links so that my education can continue?

I chose "brokeoncomix" as I often feel that way trying to buy new books these days, if only to read. I am really enjoying the new DC stories, but my love will always be silver to early bronze Marvel, and there is only so much $$$ to be spent.

Thanks for your time.

Russ

Welcome to the boards, Russ!!! You may not be the only one going broke on comics here. As for the state of Modern comics, firstly I'd recommend the Modern Forum, further down the index.

After that, it gets tougher. There've been so many threads about the future and current demographic of the market, that it'd be tricky to pick just one.

Type in the phrase "chicken little" in the Search area - that'd be a good start...

if we believe and agree that in the long term there is very little investment value in modern books, why did the industry have a banner 2006 in terms of sales?

Where in the world did you read this? A "banner year"? Maybe compared to the horror of the late-90's, but sales numbers continue to drop, while cover price increases take up the slack.

According to the analysis of CBG’s John Jackson Miller, six titles topping the 100,000 copy mark in December helped the comics market close out 2005 with a 7.3% year-to-year sales increase over 2004.

That strong finish capped off a $24 million overall year-to-year increase in 2005 among sales of comic books, trade paperbacks, and magazines, $352.33 million to 2004’s $328.25 million.

thats from the article. Yeah, last year was pretty healthy, some real excitement going on, and sales figures up to match. All in all, more positive trends in the short term. But sales are way down from the past, especially the early speculative 90s. That being said, the market seems solvent albeit at a much smaller size... certainly no longer cratering as in recent years.

what that means going forward, who knows?