• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Most Important SA DCs

65 posts in this topic

1. Showcase 4

2. Showcase 22

3. Brave and the Bold 28

4. Flash 105

5. Action 242

6. Adventure 247

7. Action 252 (personal bias, but truly important, I think)

8. Brave and the Bold 34

9. Showcase 6

10. Our Army at War 81/83

What, no love for......

Detective # 225

JLA #1

Mystery in Space 53

I guess they're borderline....except the 225

I mean JLA 1 is pretty important in terms of a popular solo group getting its own title, I guess. I'm not sure what I'd replace for MiS 53? And I was working off of the presumption that Tec 225 was golden age. confused-smiley-013.gif

Interesting list, guys.

I'm weighing in on the Our Army at War #81 vs. #83 thing. I know there's been lots of talk on this over years.

For me, OAAW #81 is merely a prototype, and frankly, farther away from the character that became Sgt. Rock than the prototype in GI Combat #68. In fact GIC #68 was considered, for many years, to be the true first appearance.

Our Army at War #83 is the first issue where a character named Sgt. Rock, who looks exactly like the character we see today, appeared. Everything prior to that - however interesting or formative - was not Sgt. Rock. #83 is ground zero.

It's riduculous that OAAW #81 guides higher than #83 (though that will change, I believe). From a collecting standdpoint, #83 is easily twice as hard to locate than #81.

I know that these lists sometimes get superhero-centric, and I was pleased that OAAW was on some lists. Sgt. Rock was the most successful DC original character of the Silver Age, running from OAAW #83 to Sgt. Rock #421 (title changed names With #302 in 1977) - a span of 30 years. In 1959 Joe Kubert created the archtypal visual of Rock, based on the writing of Bob Kanigher.... and that's the version we know, love and will see on stands later this month.

Shep