• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the "price of comics" can of worms

24 posts in this topic

marvel has books for $2.50??

none of the ones I buy!! except a few Ultimate titles...but i priced those at $.20 per word....

sign-funnypost.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Yeah, y'know if they'd priced comics by the word, this would actually be a price decrease. smirk.gif

Was reading an old All Star Squadron the other day. That issue had a lot of verbage and it was hellava lot more interesting than some of the stuff put out today.

none of the ones I buy!! except a few Ultimate titles...but i priced those at $.20 per word....

sign-funnypost.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Yeah, y'know if they'd priced comics by the word, this would actually be a price decrease. smirk.gif

Was reading an old All Star Squadron the other day. That issue had a lot of verbage and it was hellava lot more interesting than some of the stuff put out today.

I do agree that the dialogue in comics nowadays is absolute crrrrrrap.

Dialog in comics has always been [embarrassing lack of self control]. C'mon, let's get real here. Sure, there have been exceptions, but poor dialog has always plagued comics. Then again, in a way, that's one of the things that make comics comics.

sign-funnypost.gif

So are the stories. confused-smiley-013.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

So are the stories. confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, I believe that if some books had more dialogue, the stories would be a lot better. Of course, there are exceptions. Take the new THING series, for instance. I've read the first 2 issues, and the story really isn't fantastic, but there is so much dialogue that it somehow makes the book better. IMHO.

Dialog in comics has always been [embarrassing lack of self control]. C'mon, let's get real here. Sure, there have been exceptions, but poor dialog has always plagued comics. Then again, in a way, that's one of the things that make comics comics.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Very true. I mean, you can't have a ton of dialogue in a comic book. If there was too much, we'd lose the "art" aspect completely. Maybe that's why Bendis like the one-word-per-panel approach; to showcase Bagley's art.

Yeah, thats my one bag on Bendis. Not that I don't think he's a great writer. I think the stories are excellent; he just has a dialogue problem.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Very true. I mean, you can't have a ton of dialogue in a comic book. If there was too much, we'd lose the "art" aspect completely. Maybe that's why Bendis like the one-word-per-panel approach; to showcase Bagley's art.

Yeah, thats my one bag on Bendis. Not that I don't think he's a great writer. I think the stories are excellent; he just has a dialogue problem.

A writer with a dialogue problem... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Hmm. I really dig Bendis' way with dialogue. confused-smiley-013.gif

what

dialog?

and is Peter Parker Jewish?? what's with all the kibbitz, oy vey, and such....

confused.gif

Kitty's jewish, so she might be able to get away with those phrasings....

I find myself buying more and more trades, while I'm not 100% insinuating that the Pamphlet is dead. The amount of story in most of them has decreased so much that its really hard to follow month to month when it basically amounts to a paragraph a month.

I buy 7 titles, with the mandate that in order for me to add a title, I have to drop one too, so the incoming book has to be better than the 7th most appealing thing I'm getting. It was hard at first, trust me - I have a written list of my pull list from 1991 its like 32 titles (Marvel, DC and Indys) but those days are loooong gone. Every time I think of changing the policy I look at some of the crapola I bought back them and it keeps me in line. popcorn.gif

A writer with a dialogue problem... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

drice, I can't tell if you're making fun of my post, or if you are saying "what a shock" in a sarcastic tone. confused-smiley-013.gif

drice, I can't tell if you're making fun of my post, or if you are saying "what a shock" in a sarcastic tone. confused-smiley-013.gif

Always assume the first unless told otherwise, Hobby grin.gif

Although in this case, both do apply... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and is Peter Parker Jewish?? what's with all the kibbitz, oy vey, and such....

confused.gif

Kitty's jewish, so she might be able to get away with those phrasings....

Peter Parkerstein 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hey, they're from Forest Hills so I think he's default Jewish by environment tongue.gif

Well, if the first case is true, then someone should probably explain to you that there is a lot more to writing a comic than just the dialogue. What the characters say is a fraction of the work. makepoint.gif I thought that you, of all people, would know that. So I'm shocked that you responded as you did 893whatthe.gif

Well, if the first case is true, then someone should probably explain to you that there is a lot more to writing a comic than just the dialogue. What the characters say is a fraction of the work. makepoint.gif I thought that you, of all people, would know that. So I'm shocked that you responded as you did 893whatthe.gif

And I'm shocked that a dude that complains all the time that people don't read all of your posts didn't bother to read the second line of mine. flowerred.gif