• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Horse Game - New Rules !!!

123 posts in this topic

here are my original guesses from last night that are still open:

Horse 2 -

Horse 3 -

Horse 8 - Wally Wood

Horse 12 -

Horse 16 - Jodi Bernet??

Horse 24 -

Horse 26

Horse 28 - John Buscema

Horse 29 - Noah Sickles!

Horse 34 - Russ Heath??

Horse 35 - the guy who did a lot of DC stuff in the 50s who looked a lot like a loose Kirby...

Horse 39

Horse 46 - same guy who did #31 ?

Horse 48

Horse 49 - Ayers??

From Conan 25, you say? I read this recently and IIRC, there are some great horse shots early on, including page one. This one seems a little pedestrian.

I had to pick a shot where 1) the artist style would show through and 2) I could easily block out the Conan character!! Necessity 2) is quite restrictive if you go back and look. Otherwise, I agree there are plenty of nicer horses around. I wanted to leave some visual clues to help the ID process but didn't want to give it away completely.

Lots of Conan in here. Do you have issues 1-100 Scrooge?

Just happened to have the Essentials handy and it is a horse heavy book. It was impossible for me to find an actual Eisner horse. In the Spirit, he spends his entire time avoiding drawing animals if you go back and look.

Timulty, there are no Caniff horses up there. Once I reached 50 I stopped but he was one of the next few artists I wanted to include along with Cary Nord, Nick Cardy (didn't have a Cardy horse handy at home), Reed Crandall, Uderzo, Goseki Kojima, Roy Crane, Harmon, Fred Ray, Al Capp, Sy Barry but some of those guys would've been tough tough to ID ...

From the last ones standing,

Horse 2 - Hint - That horse is Trigger

Horse 3 - Hint - Long time Atlas / Marvel work-horse

Horse 8 - Wally Wood from Two-Fisted Tales # 30 thumbsup2.gif to Aman

Horse 12 - Hint - Been featured before. I would look at the "look" of the dust as the clue - It is similar to that of the other horse

Horse 16 - Nor is it Jodi Bernet - Hint - Big DC guy from same time as Toth and Kubert ( gossip.gif Kubert did ink that page)

Horse 24 - flowerred.gif Truth to be told I am not sure who drew that one. I waffle between Russ Heath and Werner Roth from Apache Kid # 13 ...

Horse 26 - Hint - Come on, his horse has always been crooked (esp. the legs) like that back then and still today

Horse 28 - John Buscema - Yes finally. I was starting to wonder if it wasn't a Buscema. I'll go ahead and scan the entire illo to prove it is to y'all

Horse 29 - Noel Sickles - Not but THE Sickles disciple

Horse 34 - Russ Heath from Apache Kid # 13 893applaud-thumb.gif to Aman - I was 27_laughing.gif because HoC sold me that book a couple of months ago

Horse 35 - the guy who did a lot of DC stuff in the 50s who looked a lot like a loose Kirby... - No not him - Artist already has a "found" horse but he could change his approach / style to fit any job so they don't look alike at all ...

Horse 39 - Hint - this is his third horse in the game - from an earlier period

Horse 46 - Al Williamson and Gray Morrow from Western Outlaw # 14 thumbsup2.gif to Sal and Aman

Horse 48 - I'm not telling a thing on this one. I like it a lot and used the dog as my new avatar.

Horse 49 - Jack Kirby from Kid-Colt Outlaw # 89 [Final JK horse found] acclaim.gif to Metarog - A transitional period for JK's art.

I knew it was completely familiar but I've sold some European albums since then and thought it was from one of them!

I can see that. Here's a page from some recent European stuff and there are similarities in at least 2 panels -

1072521-ThousandFacesPages.jpg

1072521-ThousandFacesPages.jpg.6aa4af385801c5654bac0eac83599a56.jpg

Looove that bottom panel! thumbsup2.gif

Does your love of westerns extend to Deadwood on HBO?

The guy I sold the Frontier Fighters and All American Westerns to also collects Western board games of the 1950s and 1960s. The Lone Ranger cap gun game, the Bonanza game, etc. Cool stuff. He told me there's a western show in nearby Walnut Creek every spring so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

1072521-ThousandFacesPages.jpg

How about Romita for Horse #48... or am I falling into an obvious trap here?

No no trap. That is Romita from Western Kid # 8.

Horse 8 - Wally Wood from Two-Fisted Tales # 30 to Aman

Horse 12 - Joe Maneely from Ringo Kid Western # 2 893applaud-thumb.gif to Metarog

Horse 16 - Nor is it Jodi Bernet - Hint - Big DC guy from same time as Toth and Kubert ( Kubert did ink that page)

Horse 24 - Truth to be told I am not sure who drew that one. I waffle between Russ Heath and Werner Roth from Apache Kid # 13 ...

Horse 26 - Hint - Come on, his horse has always been crooked (esp. the legs) like that back then and still today

Horse 28 - John Buscema - Yes finally. I was starting to wonder if it wasn't a Buscema. I'll go ahead and scan the entire illo to prove it is to y'all

Horse 34 - Russ Heath from Apache Kid # 13 to Aman - I was because HoC sold me that book a couple of months ago

Horse 35 - the guy who did a lot of DC stuff in the 50s who looked a lot like a loose Kirby... - No not him - Artist already has a "found" horse but he could change his approach / style to fit any job so they don't look alike at all ...

Horse 46 - Al Williamson and Gray Morrow from Western Outlaw # 14 to Sal and Aman

Horse 48 - John Romita, Sr. from Western Kid # 8 cool.gif to Metarog

Horse 49 - Jack Kirby from Kid-Colt Outlaw # 89 [Final JK horse found] to Metarog - A transitional period for JK's art.

No Paul Reinman in the horses left over. Here are the initials of the artists for the remaining 7 horses in no special order - AT, SS, BK, GK, CI, JK and DA.

Horse 16 - Nor is it Jodi Bernet - Hint - Big DC guy from same time as Toth and Kubert ( Kubert did ink that page)

Okay, I'll give the rest a shot. Some are just pure guesses based on your initials.

Horse 2 -Jack Kamen-pretty sure this is wrong.

Horse 3 - Syd Shores

Horse 16 - Carmine Infantino

Horse 26 - Ayers

Horse 29 - Alex Toth

Horse 35 - Bernard Krigstein

Horse 39 - Gil Kane

Okay, I'll give the rest a shot. Some are just pure guesses based on your initials.

Horse 2 -Jack Kamen-pretty sure this is wrong.

Horse 3 - Syd Shores

Horse 16 - Carmine Infantino

Horse 26 - Ayers

Horse 29 - Alex Toth

Horse 35 - Bernard Krigstein

Horse 39 - Gil Kane

Nice shot taken - Here are the confirmed hits -

Horse 16 - Carmine Infantino with Joe Kubert inks on Jesse James

Horse 26 - Ayers from Bobby Benson # 14

Horse 29 - Alex Toth - Yes, this is Tornado from his Zorro stories

Horse 35 - Bernard Krigstein - Yes Bernie again working for Atlas in Battleground # 9

Horse 39 - Gil Kane - earlier Gil Kane than his Conan - this from All-American Western # 114

And the unattainable horses were -

Horse 2 - Sam Savitt from the painted cover to Trigger # 3

Horse 3 - Jack Keller, the other JK from Kid-Colt Outlaw # 64. God knows how many horses and hot rods Keller drew during his long career

893applaud-thumb.gif to all who participated. I am working on the next game, be patient ...