• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-Star Superman #2 Praise Thread....

44 posts in this topic

Another direct hit for Morrisson and Quietly. The book picks up where the last one ended and is a clever, fun hommage to the "Lois tries to prove Clark is Supes" plot line of the old days.

This book is everything I hoped that AS Batman would be.

There are a lot of things to like about this book. My favorite has to be the "Morrison "moments that fill out the book. The star forge? The drawer filled with endangered species? headbang.gif

Morrison/Quitely are the best team working in American comics.

There are a lot of things to like about this book. My favorite has to be the "Morrison "moments that fill out the book. The star forge? The drawer filled with endangered species? headbang.gif

Morrison/Quitely are the best team working in American comics.

Lots of great stuff. The half-million ton key...

Nothing except we see the new Fortress of Solitude, get lots of Morrison's cool reimagination of the science and scifi part of Superman with the robots and the menagerie and the armory (from which we learn he's now immune to (green at least) Kryptonite), get more introspection into Lois Lane's character in one issue than probably came through her whole titular series, and through her perception we learn that the changes going on within Superman's body has had an effect on him outwardly, and we learn that Supes can now apparently share his powers temporarily and will have Lois be his Superwoman for a day, which I suspect may enable her to learn that he's dying. Nope, not much going on here.

Nothing except we see the new Fortress of Solitude, get lots of Morrison's cool reimagination of the science and scifi part of Superman with the robots and the menagerie and the armory (from which we learn he's now immune to (green at least) Kryptonite), get more introspection into Lois Lane's character in one issue than probably came through her whole titular series, and through her perception we learn that the changes going on within Superman's body has had an effect on him outwardly, and we learn that Supes can now apparently share his powers temporarily and will have Lois be his Superwoman for a day, which I suspect may enable her to learn that he's dying. Nope, not much going on here.

27_laughing.gif

all that could have been done in 3 pages, based on the condensed plotting of issue #1. Sorry, I still say nothing happened other than 'look at all my cool stuff, lois!" Plus, all the experimental panel layout and story cutting from issue #1 was nowhere to be found.

the whole issue just seemed like a super-expanded, drawn out version of the previous issue's mad scientist tour. I'm all for little bits thrown in about sun eating monsters and eating dinner on the titanic, but those kinds of things are usually the sauce on the steak. This issue was all sauce, no steak.

There are plenty of was to get all that stuff in there while building it around an actual story- example, Alan Moore did it with his Superman 'birthday' issue (annual #11? I forget)

Sorry, a whole issue focused on showing lois the Fortress-with nothing actually HAPPENING- does not fit with Morrison's promise of super condensed storytelling. Compared to issue #1's lightening fast cutting, multiple story threads weaving in and out, and innovative panel use, this issue was a big THUD for me.

I don't need fights and explodo, but this fortress tour seemed like an 8-page backup from the 70's stretched into a whole issue. Basically Supes just saying "... and now, look at THIS cool thing I have!" over and over.

from what is revealed bout thier relationship? he tells her he's Clark Kent. She doesn't believe him. Ok, cool twist based on the number of stories written where she tries to prove Clark is supes.

and....?

Don't get me wrong, Morrison is my favorite writer, Superman is my favorite character- but compared to every other book he's written in the last 15 or so years, so little actually happened in this issue. Especially when you compare it to the pacing of #1.

The multiple splash and double splash pages didn't help, either.

Different strokes, I guess. I know I'm in the minority, but Morrison has always left me going "Huh? WTF was that all about". Not so with this book. I'm eating it up.

A little aside relating to the Moore Supes story....did anyone read the latest GL yet? confused-smiley-013.gif

Different strokes, I guess. I know I'm in the minority, but Morrison has always left me going "Huh? WTF was that all about". Not so with this book. I'm eating it up.

A little aside relating to the Moore Supes story....did anyone read the latest GL yet? confused-smiley-013.gif

The third book I read yesterday.